Honda Talon Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hi Ticsster, what is your experience with portals or IGRs and what components failded on your setup? I always want to learn from others experiences.

·
Vendor
203 Posts
@Ticster man, those things bring a whole new level to the game. They actually protect your driveline by gearing down at the hub. Your CV's, diff, prop, tranny, and belt are all protected, while the portal hubs take the abuse.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hi SuperATV can you please explain the differences betwen the cast and billet portals and advantages/disadvantages of each? Also if I am running 35" or larger on the 4" lift will that void the warranty?

Thanks

·
Vendor
203 Posts
Hi SuperATV can you please explain the differences betwen the cast and billet portals and advantages/disadvantages of each? Also if I am running 35" or larger on the 4" lift will that void the warranty
Hey! Don't ever worry about tires and warranty! That's what these things are for!!! Lifetime warranty! You just have to run good oil in them. That's it!
Billet is always stronger than cast, but......that doesn't mean cast isn't strong. If you can manage to blow one...you probably would have blown either. But...Billet is always going to be a stronger material because its CNC'd out of a single billet of aluminum. Plus...billet is awful pretty!! Lol!

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Just ordered the frame stiffener and still on track to have the IGR (25%) installed March 2. Once the IGR is running and working correctly then I will figure where I will go next. I figure the stiffener will help with the IGR and if i go with portals as well they will already be there. Should be a real mud buggy and I plan to take it to Georgia to try out some rock crawling. Fun times are definitely ahead.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Frame Stiffener arrived and it is definitely a stronger part. I will put it on in the morning and get the talon ready for the trip to Red's Off-Road on Monday for the IGR installation. This part is a must if you go with bigger/heaver tiers.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Just a bit of testing left to get the IGR all sorted out and so far it is fantastic. Then for a real look at other options, I know SuperATV has the goodies (darn so many choices).

·
Vendor
203 Posts
I have to ask what is the best guess on 8 inch portals availability? What size wheels and max tire size.
Oh, hell yeah! Now we're talking!!! 💪😎 🤣🤣
The plan is to drop them the same time as all the R model portals. We're hoping for about 2 weeks. Not sure how all this crazy stuff is going to effect they're release, but I believe we're still on target! You gonna get some 44" Term MAX and 8" portals? ;)

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
That depends if they will fit in the Stock 15" wheels, not sure if wheels matter but want to be able to use current wheels and tires and then when it is time to head back to the annual Everglades rum pick up bigger mud tires and wheels. That would give me the option to mut on the Warriors and go rock crawling or go super mudding with the bigger mud tires. So what would you recommend as a reduction on that monster if they will fit?

Do you have a discount code for a set of your Nerf Bar Steps SKU: NBS-U-002-00? If so I will order them today. A step up to the Portals. (Sorry, I could not help the bad joke.)

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
After reading the tire requirements looks like I have to use 4" portals or go with new wheels and tires. I love the 35" Warriors and will stick with them. What are your recommendations on gearing ratio. I have 25 percent now and equals the original -- so options are 15 or 30 and current I can still hit 70 so either would work what does your experience say.

Thanks

41 - 60 of 89 Posts