Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have or plan to make portals (15% to 25%) for the Honda Talon X. I did not see them on your web site.

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
We did a little testing over the weekend. They're not done yet, but the prototypes were awesome!
I'm assuming 4"? How much wider does it make it again?

How long does it take to swap from knuckles to portals or vice versa?

What is the actual ratio of the 30% version? 1.3:1?

Silly question I know, but would it be possible to swap the gears top to bottom for a 30% overdrive? Sounds dumb I know, but I have tracks for the snow, which reduce speed a lot (effectively a 14" tire) I would love to run portals with 35s in the summer for rock crawling, but I'd either have to swap the portals off when the tracks go on, or making them overdrive would be awesome, especially with how much clearance I'd have :D

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Super, you looking at 25% reduction on a 4 inch lift? I understand if it is a "Trade Secret". Have you set a price range?

It seems that SuperSTV is always developing something new for the Talons, thank you for that.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi SuperATV, looking at the site 15% would be even better. Not a big hit on overall MPH and at the same time just right to turn the 35" Warriors. Super combination!

·
Registered
64 Posts
A 35 is exactly 25% taller than a 28. I don't see why you would want to only do the 15%, I doubt you will be want to do 75+ mph with portals.

I'd imagine the talon kit will be very close in price to any other sxs kit.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Currently the 35s are doing well but just need a bit of a push. Top speed is currently 70 due to the weight. The addition of the tuner helped a bunch coupled with the exhaust and intake. The extra 15% would definitely help the torque and at the same time not take much off of the top end. The downside for me is the addition couple of inches to the width. For now I am looking at the 25% internal IGR and am on the list for that. That would provide the gearing without adding inches to the width. Not to many rocks to crawl in South Florida but plenty of thick mud!

Benefit of IGR is cost and no additional width. Benefit of Portals is less torque supplied to half shafts...

Or you could combine both? That has been done by a few.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love the idea of the portals on a dedicated snow, mud or rock rig. I'd like to keep the agility for hauling ass in the desert or dunes. But if it's only an hour or so to swap over, maybe it'll happen. :unsure:

·
Vendor
162 Posts
I'm assuming 4"? How much wider does it make it again?
How long does it take to swap from knuckles to portals or vice versa?
What is the actual ratio of the 30% version? 1.3:1?
Silly question I know, but would it be possible to swap the gears top to bottom for a 30% overdrive? Sounds dumb I know, but I have tracks for the snow, which reduce speed a lot (effectively a 14" tire) I would love to run portals with 35s in the summer for rock crawling, but I'd either have to swap the portals off when the tracks go on, or making them overdrive would be awesome, especially with how much clearance I'd have :D
1. All of our portals, 4", 6", and 8" will make you 4" wider.
2. If you've never done an install before, it'll take 1 person about 4 to 6 hours depending on your ability, how prepared you are with proper tools, and how organized you are...always searching for that dang socket that you just had in your hand... Lol! ? After you've done it once, they're already together, so you can just remove the complete corners and put your stock hubs back on if you want. It'll just be a super quick swap the next time you do it.
3. I don't know. I'll have to get a calculator and probably get some assistance from one of my engineers. ?
4. Unfortunately you can't swap the gears out to change the reduction or tun it into an overdrive. Cool idea though! But...we designed the boxes to have perfect tolerances to match the gears for the gear reduction you chose. Super simple to take each corner off and then reinstall once they've al be put together already.
5. Price is probably going to be the same as all the other models. Not too much more involved with these besides the R model hubs.
6. They'll work great with IGR. I know a ton of Polaris and Can-Am guys that have done a bunch if IGR and they're also running portals for all the addition benefits like; lift, less stress on axles and driveline, width and stability, and additional gear reduction.

4" Portals offered in 15% and 30%
6" Portals offered in 30% or 45%
8? Portals offered in 45%

·
Registered
64 Posts
1. All of our portals, 4", 6", and 8" will make you 4" wider.
2. If you've never done an install before, it'll take 1 person about 4 to 6 hours depending on your ability, how prepared you are with proper tools, and how organized you are...always searching for that dang socket that you just had in your hand... Lol! ? After you've done it once, they're already together, so you can just remove the complete corners and put your stock hubs back on if you want. It'll just be a super quick swap the next time you do it.
3. I don't know. I'll have to get a calculator and probably get some assistance from one of my engineers. ?
4. Unfortunately you can't swap the gears out to change the reduction or tun it into an overdrive. Cool idea though! But...we designed the boxes to have perfect tolerances to match the gears for the gear reduction you chose. Super simple to take each corner off and then reinstall once they've al be put together already.
5. Price is probably going to be the same as all the other models. Not too much more involved with these besides the R model hubs.
6. They'll work great with IGR. I know a ton of Polaris and Can-Am guys that have done a bunch if IGR and they're also running portals for all the addition benefits like; lift, less stress on axles and driveline, width and stability, and additional gear reduction.

4" Portals offered in 15% and 30%
6" Portals offered in 30% or 45%
8? Portals offered in 45%
Like I said, I love the portals, the wrench in the gears is the tracks. They're a 50% reduction from the stock 28s. So my top speed on the Rev limiter is 35 mph. Reducing that by 30% would just be miserable. ?

If only I could swap the gear like a quick change rear end :D

·
Vendor
162 Posts
Like I said, I love the portals, the wrench in the gears is the tracks. They're a 50% reduction from the stock 28s. So my top speed on the Rev limiter is 35 mph. Reducing that by 30% would just be miserable. ?

If only I could swap the gear like a quick change rear end :D
Lol! Understood. I've seen both installed, and its wild! A total monster...but you're not going to be hitting 60mph. Lol!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dang! 6" portals and 40s?

As much as I hate mud, I'm a child at heart and would have a blast ripping that around. Also, those mud guys money is what drives parts like these portals and internal gear reduction kits.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Jefferson,

"As much as I hate mud, I'm a child at heart and would have a blast ripping that around. Also, those mud guys money is what drives parts like these portals and internal gear reduction kits."

Only if we get Tracks!:p

1 - 20 of 84 Posts