Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted to install a stereo , winch , and windshield wiper would I have to install a extra battery or would I be able to run it with the 1 stock battery?

·
Registered
17 Posts
As an option to adding a second battery (more storage capacity only), does anyone rewind the stators on these to put out more power? At a constant power load, no matter how many batteries you have, you are still at a net power loss, and will run low at some point.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As an option to adding a second battery (more storage capacity only), does anyone rewind the stators on these to put out more power? At a constant power load, no matter how many batteries you have, you are still at a net power loss, and will run low at some point.
I think you would have to keep in mind the actual power loss (use) vs power generation. Under normal conditions the winch isn't in use a large majority of the time, the wipers are going to be used more frequently, but the draw is smaller, and the stereo can be an unknown (the draw for some amplifiers can be significant). Just saying the net loss may or may not be significant - depends on the actual use and riding conditions...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think you would have to keep in mind the actual power loss (use) vs power generation. Under normal conditions the winch isn't in use a large majority of the time, the wipers are going to be used more frequently, but the draw is smaller, and the stereo can be an unknown (the draw for some amplifiers can be significant). Just saying the net loss may or may not be significant - depends on the actual use and riding conditions...
And that is why I elected to run a second battery to run all my accessories and use an isolator. IF I overdraw the batteries while they are connected and drop the voltage far enough, the isolator will disconnect the second battery until the main one is charged back up. Then it will reconnect the second battery and start charging it again. This way I always have a fully charged starting battery and my multitude of accessories will never leave me stranded. It has never actually happened but being able to use the winch all I want or the radio, light bars, whips, heated seats and comms without worry of draining the main battery is worth it to me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not that I have ever seen and I don't think it is even necessary so most likely no one will do it for just a handful of folks that "think" they need it.

Pulling a constant 58 amps all day is not likely to happen. You may peak well over that here and there but unless you install some earth shaking stereo, you will not need anything more than the stock alternator.

If you install a sound system large enough to outdo the alternator and annoy everyone and everything around you then you deserve a dead battery anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seems like your statement above could be directed to people that "think" they need a second battery just as much as to folks who "think" they need additional charging capacity. It is not really about folks that think they need it (I don't need either as I don't have a lot of need for additional items that draw electricity), but rather, as an easier, cleaner, lighter, potentially lower cost alternative to adding the second battery. There is also the issue of if the average person wants to splice into their electrical system and trusts their or their dealer's ability to install the battery, the isolator and the additional wiring without complication. It appears you have significant ability, but that is not the case for everyone.

Some new SXS's now come with alternators to respond to the electrical requirements owners are putting on their machines. I hear they put out about twice the juice of a stock stator system. It is unlikely they will be needing to add a second battery because they will have a charging system that can keep up with any additional electrical needs.

I get that if you want to run a winch for a while, especially if the engine is off, that another battery could be helpful, but for the folks that instead just want to put all the electrical goodies they can on their machine, even 3 batteries will not be enough if the charging system can not keep up with the draw. Sure, you can run an isolator and it will still start the engine, but at some point you will still need to turn off your lights, stereo, heater, heated seats, intercom, or whatever to allow the second battery to catch up.

Several companies rewind stators for motorcycles. If they do the same for the Talon, I think it would be worth the time for folks to consider both options given what their needs are. As I personally do not need either more juice or more battery capacity, I have not looked into if Baja Designs, Trail Tech, Ricky Stator or others offer this service. I know for a motorcycle it costs a couple hundred dollars and I would think it would be similar for the Talon. Again, my original question was only if it is a viable alternative that people should consider....

Another option that would likely be cheaper, lighter, smaller, easier, less invasive and less involved than either of the above, and still ensure you could start your machine even with a low battery, is a Halo type jumper pack, about $150 and only about the size of a thick cell phone. Again, just an option to be considered as part of deciding what is best for each's individual needs...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts