Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this has been brought up many times and can come down to personal preference and riding location, but I hope to narrow down a choice so I can place an order. I live in Northern Nevada where it can be hot and dusty, cold and wet/muddy, all in one day. I plan to fully enclose my X4 for use during hunting season. I know my options are glass and poly, vented or flip, but I cant seem to decide where the pros and cons of each are considerable, which one to go with. I like the idea of vented glass so I can clean it easy or use a wiper in rain without scratching. Question is does it ventilate well enough? No arguing the versatility of the SATV flip up seems to be a no brainer, but the distorted view (maybe) and the poly material has me worried. How's the visibility during rain/snow w/out a wiper? I work hard for the little bit I have and to make this purchase is a big deal to me. I would like to make an informed decision and there seems to be so many variables. Hard to know what is better unless you've had experience with them all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My parents have the Super ATV flip up windshield and my mom hates it because the split is directly in her line of sight. Its obviously not an issue for everyone but something to think about. I have a full poly that scratched the first time I cleaned it (don't know the brand, it came with the machine). If I order another full windshield it will be glass. I just ordered the Super ATV half windshield to try. For less than $150 I thought I would give it a shot, trying to get more air flow for hot days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I own their half windshield and for most of the year it’s great. Especially for the money. I pulled the trigger and bought the SATV glass with their upper and lower doors and rear window too

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still I appreciate your posting. It covers some issues that are well known. I think it’s good for others to be able to research using existing threads instead of posting the same questions over and over. Unfortunately most of these types of threads don’t have any substantial pros and cons from anyone with experience from multiple products. If I told you about half windshields it would come from experience using only that product and nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
51 Posts
Poly windshields can be a pain in the rain. Several coats of furniture wax helps but isn't 100% effective. I pack a cheap HF 8x12 tarp which covers the Talons roof, cargo area and half way down each door which gives the option of sitting out pop-up downpours in favor of beer/sammich time.

Glass with a wiper is probably the ultimate way to go in wet weather but I mostly ride in Alabama heat and humidity so prefer a pop-up windshield which (other than no windshield) is about as good as it gets for getting heat out of the Talon cab. My thinking is a glass full windshield that folds down would be the ultimate way to go. No idea who might make one tho.

No matter what choice you settle on, Talons are fun. Be safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a SATV flip-up on a Yamaha Wolverine before I got the Talon. I loved it... great ventilation and I also put a wiper on it. Being poly, you do have to be careful you're not wiping mud or dirt. It worked great in rain. I carried a water bottle for when it was muddy or dirty and would give it a squirt first. It never scratched, but I was careful with it. I have a SATV flip on my Talon, have bought a wiper, but have not installed it yet because I need to get a very short wiper blade for it because the Talon SATV windshield, being a multi-piece design doesn't have much room for a long wiper.
I'm not as happy with the SATV flip-up for the Talon. Having 3 pieces, it has too many seams for water and dust to come through. I have worked to get it sealed up better, but all in all, I still like the flip-up design.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My SATV full glass came in today while at work. Unfortunately I’m working too much to get to install anytime soon but I’ll share my thoughts once I have it up and running. I plan to fully enclose for winter but will be installing asap so I can see just how hot it might be in warmer weather. With the door uppers open of course, I’m not looking to have heat stroke

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the same SATV full glass windshield and it is a great product. I have not installed the supplied wiper, but the adjustable air ducts are a welcome feature.

However, dust is greatly increased when it (any full windshield) is in, at least with the rest of the vehicle open as is mine. As soon as the temps warm up enough I remove it for the summer (very easy to remove/replace).

I personally prefer to wear a helmet and goggles to a windshield. Been riding/wearing helmets since I was 8 and I actually enjoy having one on, likely because it means I am doing something really fun, and there is much less dust and heat without that windshield!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TOGR, do you have LED pods and/or mirrors with your windshield? I'm trying to research LED pods and the mounting options having the windshield but since I haven't installed either the windshield or the uppers doors I can't tell what my options will be

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Posted in another thread as well but here’s the windshield installed. I was able to mount the curved rear view mirror but not the side mirrors do to the soft cab enclosure. Still need to add door lowers but I’ll do that tomorrow. All in all it wasn’t too bad getting it all put together

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have cheap piece of plexiglass I cut with jigsaw and bought vents and also cut them in and I have a hand windshield wiper,less then 125$ total plus my time. It scratches some but it’s nothing 10 min some rubbing compound and buffer doesn’t fix. Very easy to do if your capable of using those tools. And just held in with 6 zip ties

·
Registered
63 Posts
I realize this has been brought up many times and can come down to personal preference and riding location, but I hope to narrow down a choice so I can place an order. I live in Northern Nevada where it can be hot and dusty, cold and wet/muddy, all in one day. I plan to fully enclose my X4 for use during hunting season. I know my options are glass and poly, vented or flip, but I cant seem to decide where the pros and cons of each are considerable, which one to go with. I like the idea of vented glass so I can clean it easy or use a wiper in rain without scratching. Question is does it ventilate well enough? No arguing the versatility of the SATV flip up seems to be a no brainer, but the distorted view (maybe) and the poly material has me worried. How's the visibility during rain/snow w/out a wiper? I work hard for the little bit I have and to make this purchase is a big deal to me. I would like to make an informed decision and there seems to be so many variables. Hard to know what is better unless you've had experience with them all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I purchased the Honda full Glass windshield..live in Baja Mexico, no rain, so no wipers needed..I love it plus a full rear plastic windshield.. I wish they made a Glass vented windshield..I did not like the one I saw with vents and wiper blades...Hopefull Honda will eventually make one as there are lots of complaints about cabin ventilation... I think about a roof vent scoop..off market..???? glass is nice...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts