Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to get a winch for my Talon x4. I've already decided on brand and using synthetic rope. I need a recommendation on size. Should I get a 3500 or 4500 lb winch?

Also how do you pull yourself backwards if necessary? Is there some roller or something you need to pull in reverse if forward isn't an option?

I'm pretty new to SXSs. I am retired and gave up my dirt bike last year. I almost got stuck in the mud last week...well maybe...I don't really know what this machine will do. I do know that I do a lot of riding during the week when most people are at work and I don't like the idea of using a hand winch and/or ratchet straps to extricate myself. Also on my tool list is a pair of high top rubber boots.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pretty rare to find yourself stuck and able to winch backwards, the options are few. Best bet is another rig behind you, otherwise your winching yourself wether that means a hand winch or another electric off the back. If you are going to be in mud, go with the bigger winch.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
As far as size -- get the largest that fits your budget. When you are stuck the extra size does matter especially in heavy thick mud, Also be sure to get an extra line, I have broken several of them, one after dark in the Everglades and I was the only one with a large winch. Pulling back requires a tree saver or two and turn buckles with extra line or cable. That is something you should practice before you need it. You can also use other buggies and I recommend a winch kit from SuperATV a bag full of goodies, extra line, buckles, rope, gloves or visit Tractor Supply but price will be about the same. Always good to ride with several friends that have winches as well. I know all of the extras are expensive but when you get stuck and you will, it all comes in very handy, more so at night!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Instead of a winch I use a come-a-long and rope, cheaper, useful for other things, and when my winch loving buddy who gives me a hard time got stuck with a tree behind him and nothing solid in front that was priceless.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
:pThere is a correct tool for every job. Cheap is a good thing but would not want to drag a come-a-long in deep mud.:) :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've decided to get a winch for my Talon x4. I've already decided on brand and using synthetic rope. I need a recommendation on size. Should I get a 3500 or 4500 lb winch?

Also how do you pull yourself backwards if necessary? Is there some roller or something you need to pull in reverse if forward isn't an option?

I'm pretty new to SXSs. I am retired and gave up my dirt bike last year. I almost got stuck in the mud last week...well maybe...I don't really know what this machine will do. I do know that I do a lot of riding during the week when most people are at work and I don't like the idea of using a hand winch and/or ratchet straps to extricate myself. Also on my tool list is a pair of high top rubber boots.
I suggest getting the largest you can fit and/or afford. I went with a 6000 lb. wide spool winch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:pThere is a correct tool for every job. Cheap is a good thing but would not want to drag a come-a-long in deep mud.:) :cool:
Why would you drag a come-a-long in deep mud?
Winch or come along you find something to hook to, wrap something suitable around it then either go grab the winch hook or go hook your rope/chain to where you want on your vehicle.

A winch is fine I had one on my previous atv, my best friend won't leave home without one, just telling the o.p. what my preferred option is and why.

Oh, if you choose the come-a-long option you want to figure out easy access tie points front and rear in advance, if you choose the winch option an easy access rear tie point is still nice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
IMO MCCorb I got a 4000 lb winch for my Talon with synthetic rope and mounting plate for 100$. I did however have a piece of 2 ft scrap angle iron laying around that I made my base plate with. Has been used several times for work and play and so far, 👍👍👍. Good luck to you with your decision!

·
Registered
34 Posts

Go 4500# and spend the extra and get 65ft wide spool ive allready had my 65’ out all the way and get cheap tow strap and snatch block that sould get you out if about anything within reason

·
Registered
17 Posts

GET THE 4500lb... You will never regret it. Smity built al the way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pully your self backwards take 3 pulleys. One in front on a tree kinda to the side so it doesn't touch your buggy and another in rear also to the side a bit. Next to the back of your buggy with the thrird pulley and finally to the tree you want to be pulled to. It's a lot of stuff you have to take with you, so its easier just to get pull out by friends.
If you want to carry all this stuff for that take a lot of synthatic rope... very long.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We put a 4,500 lb winch on the new X-4, we carry two 20 ft long tow ropes and a pulley block so I can double my pulling power if I need to. I want to also get a 30 ft long by 5/8 inch Yankum Rope, the stretch tow rope that stores kinetic energy and makes pulling a friend out of the muck an much easier job. The Yankum Rope is spendy but they are truly amazing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts