Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We all know that very often people comment on the stiff suspension and how it's night and day difference when doing the springs swap/shocks revalve. However, we don't always here about the people who have stuck with a stock suspension.

Who is happy with or at least content with your stock Talon suspension, ride and handling and what kind of riding are you doing?

Cheers,

s

·
Registered
31 Posts
I must admit, that I have done some “shock therapy” to my machine. With that said I did loan my machine to some friends who used it for a weekend. At the time it did have the stock suspension. They did rant and rave about how nice the ride was. Which leads me to believe that if a Talon is your first SxS it maybe much better then the four wheeler you were ridding before. If you had nothing and just wanted to break into wheeling and picked the Talon it maybe super comfortable ride for you. Comfort is all based on your personal experience before ridding in a Talon. Just my .02

·
Registered
324 Posts
My talon X is horrible IMO even after changing tender springs. I came off of my RZR XP which was plush compared to this.

Suspension will get fixed on Talon, rubber bands, carrier bearings, wheel bearings, axles, etc. won’t get fixed on the RZR’s.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing you experiences.

Since we already know a lot of folks comment on how stiff the suspension is, that is a known factor. However there is always another side to consider so for this thread I’d like to ask to hear just from those who are happy with the stock suspension.

BK, you make a great point of “perspective”, so...

Can people please include what vehicle (Sxs, arc, truck) you’re coming from before the Talon?

thanks

s

·
Registered
2 Posts
I came from two Polaris SxS's (2013 800 and 2016 XP). The ride may have been a bit better in the XP but to date and 1600 miles on the 2020 1000R, I have not had to replace and bushings, bearings, radius arms or tie rods ETC. My Polaris XP was a money pit. So the extra cash I have now pads my rear and softens the ride. Stock suspension is fine for me and the riding we do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our 2019 X is stock - very satisfied. We ride woods and trails, no dunes, no racing. This thing crawls and climbs and cruises easy on dirt backroads and trails. Figure Honda built it to work this way, and we have no desire to change anything. Happy Trails!

·
Registered
32 Posts
2019 R, I mostly ride the dunes but hoping to hit more trails this year. I came from mostly 4x4 trucks, I have a 78 F150 with about 3" of wheel travel, then I bought a F150 Raptor with about 12" of travel, while they are both really fun trucks I've been watching the SxS's, and they looked really fun. I also had a 85 Honda Odyssey, and while that was really fun, limited ride time was an issue so I sold that. So now it's a Honda Talon R with 18" to 20" of travel, and I absolutely love it. The only thing I've done which really helped was checking the nitrogen pressure and putting JC Racing caps on. All the shocks were off on nitrogen and that fixed the odd bucking and wobbling that was happening. Love the way it rides and handles. Tire pressure also makes a huge difference for the type of terrain you are riding. I think with more mile it has gotten more compliant. Like I said I love it and I beat the snot out of it on the whoops.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All,

We all know that very often people comment on the stiff suspension and how it's night and day difference when doing the springs swap/shocks revalve. However, we don't always here about the people who have stuck with a stock suspension.

Who is happy with or at least content with your stock Talon suspension, ride and handling and what kind of riding are you doing?

Cheers,

s
I have a 2019 Talon R, stock suspension with 4000 miles, had 2 RZR's before the Talon. A Polaris 800s and a 1000s. The 800s was my first SxS, so didn't know what to expect. The 1000s had so much spring sag lost all my ground clearance. Went to Shock Therapy and replaced all the 2.0 with 2.5 Fox shocks, awesome deference. Replaced the 1000s with the Talon after the clutches did a self destruct. I'm happy with the stock suspension on the Talon, I ride with RZR's and Canam x3's, fast deserts, wood trails and sand dunes. I've watched them hit rough patches and rocks in trails and it looks like they are going to fly off the trail. We hit the same obstacle and hardly felt it. I guess it just a personal choice and what you expect out of your machine. I've also had dirt bikes, 3 wheelers and quads, as they say " with age come the cage".

·
Registered
2020 R
29 Posts
i have a 1000R. it is much rougher than my brothers RZR RS1 and 100 times rougher than my dads Pro XP (thing is amazing and i may have bought one of those had he had that before i bought the talon) but its not too rough for me. i want to try a thing or two with the stock springs but i wont be putting a few thousand dollars in it for upgrades. its good enough for me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
First, you have to differentiate between the X and the R. The R has long travel suspension. I came from a Polaris RZR 1000 with custom suspension, revalved Walker Evans, EiBach springs, and walker links. The R rode better out of the box. The only thing I want is Live Valve. I have driven my friends RZRs with Dynamix and it is a huge Improvement. From what I learned even the Dynamix suspension can be improved with different springs(Polaris uses cheap Chinese spring) and re-valve. You want the best suspension you revalve and get better springs, even with live valve.

my 2020 Talon R eats up the whoops and gives me a great ride.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Anyone with the live valve have any first hand experience if it solves this problem old fart mentioned?

Thanks so much both of your for the input.
So with the live valve you have two settings, normal and sport. Normal gives you a plush smooth ride over most terrain. Put it in sport when you hit the real rough stuff, whoops etc. and it firms it up, without getting a bad ride. It really eliminates body roll so cornering is much more under control. To get the most out of the suspension, it’s counterintuitive, you need to go faster. I don’t have alot of time in Live Valve, since it’s my buddy’s rig. You can always make it better with re valving and quality springs, but Live Valve solves a bunch of issues. The Polaris Pro Ultimate with Dynamix is an amazing machine. I like the ride in the Talon better.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My talon X is horrible IMO even after changing tender springs. I came off of my RZR XP which was plush compared to this.

Suspension will get fixed on Talon, rubber bands, carrier bearings, wheel bearings, axles, etc. won’t get fixed on the RZR’s.
I came off the RZR 1000. I did a Honda factory test drive of the X and R in Moab. The X road like my RZR 800. The R rode better than my 1000 with custom suspension. The R has long travel suspension and a wider stance. Add live valve, can’t beat it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just got back from 3 days at Hatfield and McCoy for a 3 day ride, my X beat me up - as HavasuD said - rode like my first RZR800 Trail.
Those trails are pretty smooth but felt every bump.
Shoulda bought the R - money wasn’t the issue - some of the DCNR trails in PA have hard posts set at 65”, not my best decision - lol.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just got back from 3 days at Hatfield and McCoy for a 3 day ride, my X beat me up - as HavasuD said - rode like my first RZR800 Trail.
Those trails are pretty smooth but felt every bump.
Shoulda bought the R - money wasn’t the issue - some of the DCNR trails in PA have hard posts set at 65”, not my best decision - lol.
So the market is really hot right now, you could sell it (for what you bought it for, maybe more) and it may take a little while to find an R with Live Valve, but worth the wait. The other option is send your shocks in to be re-valved and different springs( Eibach or whichever). Also, lower your tire pressure to 7 or 8 PSI.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I hear ya, paid $18k out the door for the machine with tax, setup, etc. in September ‘19.

Nobody on east coast has anything or I’d sell it and just get the LV R. We have two more planned trips this year and don’t want to get caught without a ride.

I’m gonna get the shocks out to G Force or Penske Racing here in PA and just get it over with.

I had pressure 9-10.😂

1 - 20 of 50 Posts