Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked around the forums but dont see a thread specifically on various tuners. Maybe Im missing them?
But my question is, who is running what brand/model for a fuel tuner, and what are your opinions on how well it works?
I built my own custom exhaust because I have a hard time paying 1200 dollars for a "true" dual exhaust system that isnt really duals at all.
The head pipes on any of the "true dual systems" I ve looked at are the same size and configuration as the stock setup.
Stock head pipes are both equal lengths and the same size as the aftermarket, so why waste that money?
All the "true dual" systems are 2 into 1 and back into 2, which is no benefit at all. The reason they do that is to utilise the existing single o2 narrow band sensor.
The y on the stock setup is 2-1/4".
So I made my own custom free flowing system. It is amazing how much more power I obtained. I used what some guys call a fart tube from a civic. LOL. But its new and does indeed have 2 baffle screens inside, and I was able to reuse the spark arrestor in the end. Its not overly loud until you punch it under load. I can cruise thru a subdivision without waking everybody up.
I put a couple of hours on it being fairly aggresive without maintaining WOT for any extended periods, and then pulled the plugs to look. Not white, just a nice tan color.
I want to re map the ecm to give it more fuel when needed (mid and wot is where Im concentrating).
So I would like some feedback on which tuner is user friendly and programmable.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Hi Brian, there are several options for tuners and I went with the DynoJet Power Vision 3 as it offered a entire sweet of items you can change on the ECU. In addition, if you are going to tune you definitely need a second bung installed and a wideband O2 Sensor. What is the size of your pipe out of the exaust? I understand that going bigger there will actually recduce torque and HP. In any cans a good place to start is [email protected]. I am currently running his tune and purchased their throttle body plate as well. That coupled with removing the stock air baffle and installing a 3" snorkel. In any case here is the location for the Dyojet Power Vision 3 for Honda talons https://www.dynojet.com/power-vision-3-for-honda-talon/. Take a look and do compare with other other fuel only options. As far as the x pipe is concerned, I have the same setup on my Dodge Hellcat. Many performance exausts use the that same strategy. In any case the more options you have to choose from the better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brian, there are several options for tuners and I went with the DynoJet Power Vision 3 as it offered a entire sweet of items you can change on the ECU. In addition, if you are going to tune you definitely need a second bung installed and a wideband O2 Sensor. What is the size of your pipe out of the exaust? I understand that going bigger there will actually recduce torque and HP. In any cans a good place to start is [email protected]. I am currently running his tune and purchased their throttle body plate as well. That coupled with removing the stock air baffle and installing a 3" snorkel. In any case here is the location for the Dyojet Power Vision 3 for Honda talons https://www.dynojet.com/power-vision-3-for-honda-talon/. Take a look and do compare with other other fuel only options. As far as the x pipe is concerned, I have the same setup on my Dodge Hellcat. Many performance exausts use the that same strategy. In any case the more options you have to choose from the better.
Thank you. I will give them a shout. Im in Ontario which is light years behind the U.S. for any performance mod accessories. LOL. But yes, I will also want to play with shit times and such. I have these STI outback max 30" on here which draw a bit more power on the lower end for sure.
Toy mods are a never ending story huh....

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Oops. shift
Brian I am running 35" tires and getting back a bit more torque is a defiate plus. Wish I would have put mine on a dyno before all of the mods -- that is the only way to truly get a good idea of how much all of the mods and tune affected the origional setup. By the way that exaust looks big and awsome. Bet they sound defines your machine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian I am running 35" tires and getting back a bit more torque is a defiate plus. Wish I would have put mine on a dyno before all of the mods -- that is the only way to truly get a good idea of how much all of the mods and tune affected the origional setup. By the way that exaust looks big and awsome. Bet they sound defines your machine.
Just checked with a few suppliers up here and nobody stocks the powervision 3 yet. See what I mean? Here in Ontario we are way behind. LOL....so I will call dyno jet back. I did talk to him and that tuner does also come with the option of shift change timing as well as launch mode(which may not be a good idea when you have good forward bite).

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Just checked with a few suppliers up here and nobody stocks the powervision 3 yet. See what I mean? Here in Ontario we are way behind. LOL....so I will call dyno jet back. I did talk to him and that tuner does also come with the option of shift change timing as well as launch mode(which may not be a good idea when you have good forward bite).
I have not used the launch mode and probably will not. Would be good for the people that want to drag race but not so much for rock crawlers, and the mud. In any case it is not one of the options I was after. Hope you get a good tuner.
Canadians did do a good job assembling the Hellcats;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Blue dog, with the Dyno Jet 3 can you change the shift to RPM settings?
in-other words, right now it shifts at about 5000 RPMs which I feel is too high and would like to change it to around 4000 RPMs.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Hi Go Talon here is the link to Dyno Jet Power Vision 3 manuals and install guides: Power Vision 3 | Downloads | Dynojet. It also depends on the mode you are using as well. As an example in low and automatic mine shifts at 8K and I am very happy with that. It also depends on your specific driving style. In addition, if you pay for a tune you will not be able to adjust anything on that specific tune. I do not recommend trying to do your own tune unless you have the experience. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Blue dog, with the Dyno Jet 3 can you change the shift to RPM settings?
in-other words, right now it shifts at about 5000 RPMs which I feel is too high and would like to change it to around 4000 RPMs.
Thanks
Hi Go Talon, here is a graph of the engine RPMs and you can see the gear changes. The throttle is wide open and the transmission is in low and automatic. I also use manual especially in mud to make sure the transmission does not auto shift on me coming out of a hole. I would not recommend reducing the shift points at all, if anything raising them in manual mode is a better option but that fits my driving style much better. Shifting at 4000 RPS is well below the optimum torque and HP rating of the engine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’ll try it for a bit longer, but we ride open desert with many areas that are tight, full of rocks and it can be slow going and the constant Reving of the engine is Not only annoying it seems pointless for the engine to be Erving so high.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I would suggest using manual and the paddles to up shift. At the end of the day the engine was designed to run up to 9000 RPM and is actually a modified motorcycle engine from the Honda Africa model. I have a full performance exhaust and love the sound but then that is me and I love to push it a bit. We also have many locations where we have to pull through mud and go into tight trails. If the noise is a problem, then you might consider an aftermarket exhaust designed to reduce it. Not sure what the effect will be; I recall having to drive a friends Porsche to the limits on the Autobahn (near Hanover Germany) to keep the carbon from building up and that kept it out of the repair shop -- I did like driving it. Let us know how you make out and what you do.

P.S. how about a loud stereo to cover the exhaust sound :eek::p:p
:giggle:.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yea noise isn’t so much the problem (I have an EVO Exhaust) just don’t want to feel like I’m racing every moment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I already ordered a PV3, but I wanted to look at the tables and maps in the software before it gets here, does anyone have an original STK file that I can look at to start prepping?

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Hi Limit,

For more information and the files that will be made available, you will have to upload your own STK file to download the files. Your Power Vision will be lilnked to your Talon and then you can download the files. Yup, you have to link your Talon first. Just have to wait.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BlueDog,

I already have powercore installed, and I have already been sharing STK files with/from others without having their vehicles or PV3s here. just need the STK to open up and look around

1 - 20 of 23 Posts