Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the last long holiday weekend at Ocotillo Wells, a huge and very popular So. Calif. riding area. I paid very close attention to all the SXS machines I saw (several hundred!), and only 2 of them were Hondas....a Pioneer 500 just put-putting around camp, and a Pioneer 1000 out on the trail. Not a single Talon. Not that many Yamahas either.

I know that Honda was late to the party releasing the Talon, but this is pretty weird. Maybe folks will discover the Talon when their Can-Am and Polaris machines take a dump?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Honda just hasn't released enough of the Talons to show up in large numbers yet, and the same for the Yamaha Rmax 1000 units. Once folks drive them and the word gets out, and if Honda and Yamaha can produce enough product, you will see a dent in the Polaris and Can-Am sales.

·
Registered
99 Posts
They would be more popular for the dunes if they would offer a turbo that would have over 200 wheel hp. Not the over priced Jackson turbo that uses a stock muffler. I guess the EPA has Jackson by the throat. Or maybe he just doesn’t have any balls to tell them to go to hell, and sell a kit that will actually flow Using an aftermarket muffler.
The guys at www.PPEI.com are working on a tune and fix to get the Jackson Turbo kit dialed with an exhaust.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say that Honda definitely dominates the dirt bike market around here. ATV's aren't nearly what they once were, but the easy to ride TRX250X seems to be a extremely popular, particularly as a rental machine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Spent the last long holiday weekend at Ocotillo Wells, a huge and very popular So. Calif. riding area. I paid very close attention to all the SXS machines I saw (several hundred!), and only 2 of them were Hondas....a Pioneer 500 just put-putting around camp, and a Pioneer 1000 out on the trail. Not a single Talon. Not that many Yamahas either.

I know that Honda was late to the party releasing the Talon, but this is pretty weird. Maybe folks will discover the Talon when their Can-Am and Polaris machines take a dump?
This may offend a few and I’m sorry if it does. We all have our personal opinions of what looks good and what doesn’t.
My opinion is the talon 4 is not a nice looking car. So many people are getting 4 seaters these days. I think the looks of the talon 4 is slowing sales.

I don’t judge those who have a talon 4, as I said we all have our opinions snd if you like it, I respect that.

·
Registered
2020 Honda 1000R Talon
23 Posts
This may offend a few and I’m sorry if it does. We all have our personal opinions of what looks good and what doesn’t.
My opinion is the talon 4 is not a nice looking car. So many people are getting 4 seaters these days. I think the looks of the talon 4 is slowing sales.

I don’t judge those who have a talon 4, as I said we all have our opinions snd if you like it, I respect that.
If all you want is looks then buy a Canadian product. I’ll take performance over looks any day

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have an 2021 X-2 LV and I like the looks overall, I am moving to the aforementioned 30" tires. Besides the tires, the best "looking" mod I have seen is the aftermarket cages which square up the roof line. Makes a huge differences in the how vehicle looks. Problem is it then screws up most of the aftermarket option since the size and shape is different...oh well.

·
Registered
49 Posts

If they sold a 4R Turbo with the same appearance, people would miraculously figure out an aftermarket cage fixes the looks. Guaranteed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
They would be more popular for the dunes if they would offer a turbo that would have over 200 wheel hp. Not the over priced Jackson turbo that uses a stock muffler. I guess the EPA has Jackson by the throat. Or maybe he just doesn’t have any balls to tell them to go to hell, and sell a kit that will actually flow Using an aftermarket muffler.
This may be hard for some of the younger riders to accept, but there are some of us that don't need a turbo. We can get around fine with stock horsepower. And there is a big bunch of riding going on that is not on the dunes. I've ridden on the dunes alot back in the '80's, and it gets old after a while. But if a turbo on your RZR or Can Am is your thing, and you like changing belts and wrenching on your rides- well, to each his own!

·
Registered
155 Posts

Kinda' like the RZRs you see at Glamis, Sand Hollow or the Oregon coast. They all look the same, like little buck toothed woodchucks on wheels. The herd mentality that makes a person want to look like everyone else is difficult to understand. At least the Honda will not be mistaken for just another RZR or X3! And as we ride by the broken down RZRs with blown belts by the side of the trail we won't mind our ugly Hondas too much!;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
This may be hard for some of the younger riders to accept, but there are some of us that don't need a turbo. We can get around fine with stock horsepower. And there is a big bunch of riding going on that is not on the dunes. I've ridden on the dunes alot back in the '80's, and it gets old after a while. But if a turbo on your RZR or Can Am is your thing, and you like changing belts and wrenching on your rides- well, to each his own!
It's not about "need". How many people "needed" a Hemi Cuda back in the day, but by them making it they sold more slant six cars, too. I spent ten tears in the industry, and can assure you that's how it works, sensible or not. If Honda wants market share, they need to play the game, or just be happy as an also-ran. Reliable or not.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's true to a degree all right, gotta have the biggest baddest toy on the block! I'm staring 70 in the eye, when I was younger and wilder I had the biggest baddest toys, but once you been there, done that and have all the t-shirts and hats to prove it you sort of lose interest. I've been a motorhead all my life, planes, cars, bikes, even tractors. Not to mention all the RV's and motorhomes. I like power too, but reliability gets factored in to when you get older and wiser, I just get tired of banging my knuckles doing a lot of wrenching. It's fun when you are younger, but now not so much!

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's not about "need". How many people "needed" a Hemi Cuda back in the day, but by them making it they sold more slant six cars, too. I spent ten tears in the industry, and can assure you that's how it works, sensible or not. If Honda wants market share, they need to play the game, or just be happy as an also-ran. Reliable or not.
When you fly high performance planes, even basic planes, reliability counts a whole bunch! And when you get older and wiser you get tired of banging and scrapping your knuckles wrenching on machinery of any type. I suspect some one soon will come out with a turbo setup that is super reliable and perfect for the Honda Talon engine. But for Honda to do it inhouse just for market share, they have to have it very reliable and bullet proof, and that takes time to develop properly on that level.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts