Honda Talon Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did not weigh mine at the time, but they seemed very light mounting them. I can say THAT I did weigh a set of Racelines, 17lbs, with this same tire set up, and the Methods feel far more agile and nimble in sand and tight trails. I could tell a big difference driving them. If weight is your main issue, I highly recommend OMF wheels. They can get you a set of beadlocks under that 14 pound range.
Whats the offset on your wheels? Any spacers?

·
Registered
2 Posts
what
Normally, I run beadlocks...~ however, for this set up, I went with the new Method 409's with the new Bead Grip retention. The weight is amazing like around 12 pounds. I also ran 31" Terra Masters (10ply) because of the weight (less than 37 pounds). The 31" Kanati TerraMasters perform very well in Moab which is primarily our riding area, and give a superior handling in faster speeds than 32" tires. Here are some picts:

View attachment 218 View attachment 220 View attachment 221 View attachment 223
who make that windshield?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have done a bunch of research and measuring and came up with the following.
  1. Talon tires are not 9" and 11" wide, they are 8.7" and 10.6" so your overall width may end up a bit wider than expected if using a true 10" wide tire by about 1/2 inch or more.
  2. All measurements below are for the R model and assume a true 10" wide tire. However, the offsets and width differences apply to the X model.
All stated X+Y offsets are not what they appear to be so you should really go by the metric offset. For instance...
  • STI's 6+1 is 50mm offset which is really 5.5+1.5
  • STI's 5+2 is 30mm offset which is really 4.75+2.25
  • STI's 4+3 is 0mm offset which is really 3.5+3.5
  • System 3's 5.5+1.5 (sometimes marketed as 6+1) is a 45mm offset and is actually 5.25+1.75
  • System 3's 4+3 is 15mm offset and is a true 4+3
Front track width is the most important to try to remain as close to stock as you can for handling/steering purposes. You want the tire scrubbing similar to stock or as close as you can get it. That is why STI came out with the 50mm (6+1).
  • If you run a STI's 6+1 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, you will achieve the factory track width but will be 1.3" wider overall in the front. This is the best offset to maintain stock front end geometry.
  • The Sytem 3's 5.5+1.5 offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be .4" wider and 1.7" wider overall in the front.
  • If you run a STI's 5+2 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be 1.6" wider and 2.9" wider overall in the front.
The rear hub to hub width s 3.1" narrower than the front. Your best bet is to run the same rims front and rear and get 1.5" spacers in the rear. That way, your overall width will be the same font and rear and you can rotate your tires as an added bonus.

These combinations are currently available that make the front and rear similar in overall width without using spacers...
  • STI 50mm (6+1) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 69.7 and 70.6 respectively (.9" wider in the rear).
  • System 3 45mm (5.5+1.5) on the front and System 3 15mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 70.1 and 69.4 respectively (.7" wider in front)
  • STI 30mm (5+2) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 71.3 and 70.6 respectively (.7" wider in front).
Havasu Dave. Great info. I think I will run the set up you said and use the spacer in the rear so that way if I need to rotate tires and wheels I can do so. Thanks for the post!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
So I ne
What size wheels and tires are you all running? Looking at a set of beadlocks and new tread. What is out there?
I need some help from all of you knowledgeable Talon owners. I have the 1000 X and I’m looking to replace the factory tires with either Terrabites or Carnivores. I want to go 30”, and it looks like the Terrabites are available in 30x10x15, and I think the Carnivores in 30x9.5x15.
My questions are:
Can I run either of those tires on the stock wheels on all four corners? Also, if I decide to do wheels and tires at the same time, can I do the same wheel/tire on all four corners without screwing up anything else?

·
Vendor
161 Posts
I need some help from all of you knowledgeable Talon owners. I have the 1000 X and I’m looking to replace the factory tires with either Terrabites or Carnivores. I want to go 30”, and it looks like the Terrabites are available in 30x10x15, and I think the Carnivores in 30x9.5x15.
My questions are:
Can I run either of those tires on the stock wheels on all four corners? Also, if I decide to do wheels and tires at the same time, can I do the same wheel/tire on all four corners without screwing up anything else?
Hey @Ezgoin !
We rate the X for a max of a 29" tire...which we do conservatively. So...you can probably get a way with a 30" just fine if you're ok with a little rubbing in extreme situations. 1" wheel spacers would probably also help get them away from the shock towers just in case.
We have 1.5" Forward A-arms for your X that will allow for up to a 34" with no other lift! Its a pretty good investment for strength and any possible future upgrades to a bigger tire. They also have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know some guys are running 32" on their X's and report some minor rubbing at the extreme, so I would think a 30" would be fine. Do you think spacers would be required at all 4 corners or just the rear? BTW, your site shows the 1" spacers out of stock.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the 30” terrabites on Tusk beadlocks. No spacers. That makes the front right at 65”(max. trail width) and a little bit narrower on the rear, so it steers good. No rubbing at all

·
Vendor
161 Posts
I know some guys are running 32" on their X's and report some minor rubbing at the extreme, so I would think a 30" would be fine. Do you think spacers would be required at all 4 corners or just the rear? BTW, your site shows the 1" spacers out of stock.
Man! Didn't realize that. We must have just run out, because I don't see a new build date. Probably not long on them. They're pretty quick in the CNC once we get an open machine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don’t know if it’s my thick skull but there doesn’t seem to be a resolution to @Ezgoin question. I’m looking for a similar build. 30x9x15 in front and X10 in the back with stock wheels. I’m worried about offset changes to ride but having all 4 wheels at the same size would be smarter if I have a blowout. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2020 Talon R
7 Posts
Does anyone have a solute for spare tire mount on the rear roll bar?
I picked this one up and it’s going on my Talon R this weekend. Saw one mounted on a unit at Western Honda and liked it.

·
Registered
2020 Talon 1000x4
25 Posts
The Terramasters look awesome! Amazing tire!
Thanks! I have a friend I ride with and he has a live valve with 32" carnivores. They seem to perform pretty identical. Although I am hoping the terras outlast the carnivores. 33" Terras are narrower and darn near same hight as his 32s.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts