Honda Talon Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did not weigh mine at the time, but they seemed very light mounting them. I can say THAT I did weigh a set of Racelines, 17lbs, with this same tire set up, and the Methods feel far more agile and nimble in sand and tight trails. I could tell a big difference driving them. If weight is your main issue, I highly recommend OMF wheels. They can get you a set of beadlocks under that 14 pound range.
Whats the offset on your wheels? Any spacers?

·
Registered
2 Posts
what
Normally, I run beadlocks...~ however, for this set up, I went with the new Method 409's with the new Bead Grip retention. The weight is amazing like around 12 pounds. I also ran 31" Terra Masters (10ply) because of the weight (less than 37 pounds). The 31" Kanati TerraMasters perform very well in Moab which is primarily our riding area, and give a superior handling in faster speeds than 32" tires. Here are some picts:

View attachment 218 View attachment 220 View attachment 221 View attachment 223
who make that windshield?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have done a bunch of research and measuring and came up with the following.
  1. Talon tires are not 9" and 11" wide, they are 8.7" and 10.6" so your overall width may end up a bit wider than expected if using a true 10" wide tire by about 1/2 inch or more.
  2. All measurements below are for the R model and assume a true 10" wide tire. However, the offsets and width differences apply to the X model.
All stated X+Y offsets are not what they appear to be so you should really go by the metric offset. For instance...
  • STI's 6+1 is 50mm offset which is really 5.5+1.5
  • STI's 5+2 is 30mm offset which is really 4.75+2.25
  • STI's 4+3 is 0mm offset which is really 3.5+3.5
  • System 3's 5.5+1.5 (sometimes marketed as 6+1) is a 45mm offset and is actually 5.25+1.75
  • System 3's 4+3 is 15mm offset and is a true 4+3
Front track width is the most important to try to remain as close to stock as you can for handling/steering purposes. You want the tire scrubbing similar to stock or as close as you can get it. That is why STI came out with the 50mm (6+1).
  • If you run a STI's 6+1 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, you will achieve the factory track width but will be 1.3" wider overall in the front. This is the best offset to maintain stock front end geometry.
  • The Sytem 3's 5.5+1.5 offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be .4" wider and 1.7" wider overall in the front.
  • If you run a STI's 5+2 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be 1.6" wider and 2.9" wider overall in the front.
The rear hub to hub width s 3.1" narrower than the front. Your best bet is to run the same rims front and rear and get 1.5" spacers in the rear. That way, your overall width will be the same font and rear and you can rotate your tires as an added bonus.

These combinations are currently available that make the front and rear similar in overall width without using spacers...
  • STI 50mm (6+1) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 69.7 and 70.6 respectively (.9" wider in the rear).
  • System 3 45mm (5.5+1.5) on the front and System 3 15mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 70.1 and 69.4 respectively (.7" wider in front)
  • STI 30mm (5+2) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 71.3 and 70.6 respectively (.7" wider in front).
Havasu Dave. Great info. I think I will run the set up you said and use the spacer in the rear so that way if I need to rotate tires and wheels I can do so. Thanks for the post!!!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts