Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put the Tusk Beadlock 15" with 30" Terrabites and they fit with plenty of room. I was worried about the 32" fitting but I'm sure they would fit but the extra weight might be a deterrent. The 30" Terrabites are slightly oversized and the 32" Terrabites are slightly undersized (info from an RM-ATV Employee). My brother-in-law has the 32" terabytes on his RZR and as you can see my 30" look the same size.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did not weigh mine at the time, but they seemed very light mounting them. I can say THAT I did weigh a set of Racelines, 17lbs, with this same tire set up, and the Methods feel far more agile and nimble in sand and tight trails. I could tell a big difference driving them. If weight is your main issue, I highly recommend OMF wheels. They can get you a set of beadlocks under that 14 pound range.
Brian, here you go, this is an actual weight of the OMF beadlock 15" Diameter, with all the bolts and valve stem. This model is the FL1 and can be color matched Talon. I personally, would have it powder coated (black/red no silver) after all machining to avoid the raw aluminum look from fading. Also, it's not made in China!
15-FL1-omf-HondaTalon.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put the Tusk Beadlock 15" with 30" Terrabites and they fit with plenty of room. I was worried about the 32" fitting but I'm sure they would fit but the extra weight might be a deterrent. The 30" Terrabites are slightly oversized and the 32" Terrabites are slightly undersized (info from an RM-ATV Employee). My brother-in-law has the 32" terabytes on his RZR and as you can see my 30" look the same size.
Thanks for the pics! I'm thinking about 32 inch Carnivores or 32 inch Terra Hooks, but I am also considering 30s. I actually have not done a lot of riding as I currently own two Pioneer 500s. I find myself most excited about climbing rocky hills, so I know the bigger diameter will be an asset there. At the same time, I know that I will not tolerate rubbing. Most comments I've read about 32s on the X model is that they get "slight" rubbing. Kind of hard to tell what exactly that means. I want it to be clear on full lock, full compression. I am wondering if the leading edge of the wheel well could be molded back out of the way with a heat gun???

@scottymac I have seen the OMF. They are probably a little pricier than I want to spend.... They look awesome, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the pics! I'm thinking about 32 inch Carnivores or 32 inch Terra Hooks, but I am also considering 30s. I actually have not done a lot of riding as I currently own two Pioneer 500s. I find myself most excited about climbing rocky hills, so I know the bigger diameter will be an asset there. At the same time, I know that I will not tolerate rubbing. Most comments I've read about 32s on the X model is that they get "slight" rubbing. Kind of hard to tell what exactly that means. I want it to be clear on full lock, full compression. I am wondering if the leading edge of the wheel well could be molded back out of the way with a heat gun???

@scottymac I have seen the OMF. They are probably a little pricier than I want to spend.... They look awesome, though.
I'll check tomorrow about molding the wheel well back but my guess would be it probably won't work. As far as 32" tires... there is no standard for how the tire manufacturers measure them. I seams every 32" tire is a different size. I know the 32" Carnivores are big (true 32) and my guess is they would scrub. Next thing to consider is how heavy some of the large tires are and what kind of stress that will put on the transmission. I'm pretty happy with my choice so far as they are not too much heavier than OEM and I also have 14.5" of ground clearance now..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
STI is talking about a 4.3 Offset for the rear and and a 5.2 for the front. Are you guys running the same offset all the way around? How is the handling since it will shorten the width a couple inches ( per STI ) Just not wanting to spend all this money and not get something that works right.

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm running a very light tire are rim set up at 5+2. I realize it does not match factory, nor what STI is saying, however, it handles VERY well in fast washes, sand as well as slick dry fire roads. I need to be able to rotate my tires so I wanted uniform size and 5+2 was a closer average than 4+3 for the entire set of 4.

·
Registered
54 Posts
STI is talking about a 4.3 Offset for the rear and and a 5.2 for the front. Are you guys running the same offset all the way around? How is the handling since it will shorten the width a couple inches ( per STI ) Just not wanting to spend all this money and not get something that works right.

Thanks
I have done a bunch of research and measuring and came up with the following.
  1. Talon tires are not 9" and 11" wide, they are 8.7" and 10.6" so your overall width may end up a bit wider than expected if using a true 10" wide tire by about 1/2 inch or more.
  2. All measurements below are for the R model and assume a true 10" wide tire. However, the offsets and width differences apply to the X model.
All stated X+Y offsets are not what they appear to be so you should really go by the metric offset. For instance...
  • STI's 6+1 is 50mm offset which is really 5.5+1.5
  • STI's 5+2 is 30mm offset which is really 4.75+2.25
  • STI's 4+3 is 0mm offset which is really 3.5+3.5
  • System 3's 5.5+1.5 (sometimes marketed as 6+1) is a 45mm offset and is actually 5.25+1.75
  • System 3's 4+3 is 15mm offset and is a true 4+3
Front track width is the most important to try to remain as close to stock as you can for handling/steering purposes. You want the tire scrubbing similar to stock or as close as you can get it. That is why STI came out with the 50mm (6+1).
  • If you run a STI's 6+1 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, you will achieve the factory track width but will be 1.3" wider overall in the front. This is the best offset to maintain stock front end geometry.
  • The Sytem 3's 5.5+1.5 offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be .4" wider and 1.7" wider overall in the front.
  • If you run a STI's 5+2 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be 1.6" wider and 2.9" wider overall in the front.
The rear hub to hub width s 3.1" narrower than the front. Your best bet is to run the same rims front and rear and get 1.5" spacers in the rear. That way, your overall width will be the same font and rear and you can rotate your tires as an added bonus.

These combinations are currently available that make the front and rear similar in overall width without using spacers...
  • STI 50mm (6+1) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 69.7 and 70.6 respectively (.9" wider in the rear).
  • System 3 45mm (5.5+1.5) on the front and System 3 15mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 70.1 and 69.4 respectively (.7" wider in front)
  • STI 30mm (5+2) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 71.3 and 70.6 respectively (.7" wider in front).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have done a bunch of research and measuring and came up with the following.
  1. Talon tires are not 9" and 11" wide, they are 8.7" and 10.6" so your overall width may end up a bit wider than expected if using a true 10" wide tire by about 1/2 inch or more.
  2. All measurements below are for the R model and assume a true 10" wide tire. However, the offsets and width differences apply to the X model.
All stated X+Y offsets are not what they appear to be so you should really go by the metric offset. For instance...
  • STI's 6+1 is 50mm offset which is really 5.5+1.5
  • STI's 5+2 is 30mm offset which is really 4.75+2.25
  • STI's 4+3 is 0mm offset which is really 3.5+3.5
  • System 3's 5.5+1.5 (sometimes marketed as 6+1) is a 45mm offset and is actually 5.25+1.75
  • System 3's 4+3 is 15mm offset and is a true 4+3
Front track width is the most important to try to remain as close to stock as you can for handling/steering purposes. You want the tire scrubbing similar to stock or as close as you can get it. That is why STI came out with the 50mm (6+1).
  • If you run a STI's 6+1 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, you will achieve the factory track width but will be 1.3" wider overall in the front. This is the best offset to maintain stock front end geometry.
  • The Sytem 3's 5.5+1.5 offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be .4" wider and 1.7" wider overall in the front.
  • If you run a STI's 5+2 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be 1.6" wider and 2.9" wider overall in the front.
The rear hub to hub width s 3.1" narrower than the front. Your best bet is to run the same rims front and rear and get 1.5" spacers in the rear. That way, your overall width will be the same font and rear and you can rotate your tires as an added bonus.

These combinations are currently available that make the front and rear similar in overall width without using spacers...
  • STI 50mm (6+1) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 69.7 and 70.6 respectively (.9" wider in the rear).
  • System 3 45mm (5.5+1.5) on the front and System 3 15mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 70.1 and 69.4 respectively (.7" wider in front)
  • STI 30mm (5+2) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 71.3 and 70.6 respectively (.7" wider in front).
That's very useful and great info! System 3 seems may have a smarter solution staying away from 6+1. Interesting. From my experience in general riding, excluding dune only or short course racing, weight can be the bigger killer over front dimension. Thus, a 23 pound wheel that is close to dimension spec, delivers far worse performance than than say a wheel that's a inch or so off, that is say 12 pounds. Rotational mass is a real performance killer.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Just added 35x10x15 Warriors and I do love the added height. Not for everyone and boy are they heavy, but they are super in the mud, good on hard surfaces, work well in the sand and are top notch for rock climbing -- not so many rocks in Florida though. I was after a large all around tire and the Warrior from SuperATV fit the bill. And they fit just fine on the OEM wheels. 20191202_065032.jpg 20191201_110840_resized.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just jumping in here to show what set up Im using. I owned a Polaris rzr xp turbo(2018), that I bought new and spent a fortune on. That piece of cr*p spent more time in the rrpair shop at the dealer than it did at home. So Ivtraded it in and pulled thevtrigger on the Talon X. There is no looking back. Love this Honda! But I kept the rims and tires that I purchased for the rzr, sti outback max 30" on sti true beadlocks. Its very muddy here. Now the bolt pattern Honda uses in 4 x 137 which is crazy, and the different qidth from front to rear was not very pleasing to me either, since it made getting 4 rims the same to rotate them was out of the question.
So I was able to but thin 1" adaptora for the frt that took the bolt pattern fron 137 to 156 (Polaris size). For the rear there was no adaptors available that qould allow me to have the same wheel track front and rear, so I went to a local machine shop and had them custom make a pair that were 2" for the rear. I think this setup qorks amazing and the machine still handles perfectly normal and the rims although only 14's clear the calipers and everything else great. I wasnt going to recoop the 2300 that I had in the tires and rims so thats why all the bother. But in the end, awsome setup...and they dig the mud!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just to add another note, the total width of the machine is now 68 inches front and rear. The same as the rzr was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put the Tusk Beadlock 15" with 30" Terrabites and they fit with plenty of room. I was worried about the 32" fitting but I'm sure they would fit but the extra weight might be a deterrent. The 30" Terrabites are slightly oversized and the 32" Terrabites are slightly undersized (info from an RM-ATV Employee). My brother-in-law has the 32" terabytes on his RZR and as you can see my 30" look the same size. View attachment 246 View attachment 247
how is the offset? Is the front stick out farther than the rear?

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Did the annual Everglades run and the setup did very well in heavy mud. Lots of fun at Billy's Everglades Safari. About half way across alligator alley on I 75. Plan to go next year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yup! Got the terrabite 30x10-15 radials and put them on the Tusk beadlock. Once I get the roof rack finished up, I will post some “compete” pictures . Still trying to figure out how much air to run. Started about 15 pounds, went to 11, but haven’t drove it anywhere yet. Too much rain here in Oregon.
I’m Looking at the same ones for fox live valve, what’s your thoughts so far on ur setup?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put the Tusk Beadlock 15" with 30" Terrabites and they fit with plenty of room. I was worried about the 32" fitting but I'm sure they would fit but the extra weight might be a deterrent. The 30" Terrabites are slightly oversized and the 32" Terrabites are slightly undersized (info from an RM-ATV Employee). My brother-in-law has the 32" terabytes on his RZR and as you can see my 30" look the same size. View attachment 246 View attachment 247
How do you like the wheel and tire setup? I have same machine and am looking at the same ones

21 - 40 of 88 Posts