Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody having issues running wheel spacers. I want all four rims to be the same for spare purposes but read spacers are bad.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Anybody having issues running wheel spacers. I want all four rims to be the same for spare purposes but read spacers are bad.
Spacers "can" be hard on bearings and other suspension parts if used in the wrong configuration. For instance, if you take a +50 mm offset wheel and put a 50 mm spacer, you are at 0 offset and this is acceptable. However, if you take a 0 offset wheel and add a 50mm spacer, then you are -50 offset and things start to wear because you are now leveraging harder against the suspension.

So, to square up a Talon, you put 7" wide +50mm wheels all the way around with 1.5" (~38 mm) spacers on the rear and end up about +12mm in the rear. This is 21 mm less offset than stock but but is acceptable because you are still in a positive offset condition.

I see many running +30 mm offset and 38mm spacers. This puts you at a -8mm offset and is probably OK but will start to put extra strain on the bearings and suspension. For normal trail riding, +30 mm offset with spacers is about as far as I would go. For anything aggressive, you should stick with +40 mm offset wheels or greater.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spacers "can" be hard on bearings and other suspension parts if used in the wrong configuration. For instance, if you take a +50 mm offset wheel and put a 50 mm spacer, you are at 0 offset and this is acceptable. However, if you take a 0 offset wheel and add a 50mm spacer, then you are -50 offset and things start to wear because you are now leveraging harder against the suspension.

So, to square up a Talon, you put 7" wide +50mm wheels all the way around with 1.5" (~38 mm) spacers on the rear and end up about +12mm in the rear. This is 21 mm less offset than stock but but is acceptable because you are still in a positive offset condition.

I see many running +30 mm offset and 38mm spacers. This puts you at a -8mm offset and is probably OK but will start to put extra strain on the bearings and suspension. For normal trail riding, +30 mm offset with spacers is about as far as I would go. For anything aggressive, you should stick with +40 mm offset wheels or greater.
I’m confused on your offset numbers. How do those compare to 4+3,6+1ect.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I’m confused on your offset numbers. How do those compare to 4+3,6+1ect.
You don't, those are garbage/inaccurate numbers for sales purposes and are somewhat meaningless. Use the X+Y to shop but ALWAYS use the true millimeter offset numbers to verify what you are really getting.

For instance...

a 6+1 STI is +50mm offset but a System 3 6+1 is +45mm offset.

Even worse are the 5+2's STI are +30mm offset, Methods are mostly +38 while some others are +20, +10 and I have even seen some wheels marked as 5+2's that were actually +3 offset.

As you can see, the X+Y offsets are not accurate, DO NOT rely them. All the manufacturers will show the true offsets in their specs Here is a perfect example, how can a 4+3 be 0 offset and 5+5 also be 0 offset, that is impossible, the 5+5 is 0 offset. The 4+3 is really a 3.5+3.5 but most don't use fractions...

Except sometimes I see System 3 wheels marketed as 5.5+1.5.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here is another classic example. These are different style 5+2 wheels all from the SAME manufacturer. These will technically all fit a Talon...

30 mm difference and they call them all 5+2??? That equated to almost 2.5" tire to tire width difference and the top one will be more stressful on your machine with spacers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Honda 4sx..live shocks..2020..Recently bought new wheels and tires, Honda has a natural off set of 6-1 ratio, so I went with 1.5 spacers on rear tires. Tensor 15 x 30 inch desert tires. New beadlock wheels..Baja Mexico, Area can have sandy desert washes. I feel comfortable running tires low on air 10 lbs psi with beadlocks...I am not noticing any power or shifting issues with 30 inch tires, better clearance, rides better on pavement. Honda should improve their wheels and tires as everyone has to up grade wheels and tires. If I had it to do over I would change out their stock wheels and tiers off the showroom floor.,, I have installed a horn, rugged stock Honda Talon communications kit, ( I recommend installation from radio experts to eliminate engine noise from faulty grounding installs.). Honda is still new to dealers and install issues. I bought a PCI, Lawrance GPS and I love it, I also bought a rear camera that hooks to the Lawrance gps giving me both back up camera and rear view when driving forward. Bought a full glass Honda front windshield and full Honda rear window. Bought a Horn and 4 point Shoulder Harnesses.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Honda 4sx..live shocks..2020..Recently bought new wheels and tires, Honda has a natural off set of 6-1 ratio, so I went with 1.5 spacers on rear tires. Tensor 15 x 30 inch desert tires. New beadlock wheels..Baja Mexico, Area can have sandy desert washes. I feel comfortable running tires low on air 10 lbs psi with beadlocks...I am not noticing any power or shifting issues with 30 inch tires, better clearance, rides better on pavement. Honda should improve their wheels and tires as everyone has to up grade wheels and tires. If I had it to do over I would change out their stock wheels and tiers off the showroom floor.,, I have installed a horn, rugged stock Honda Talon communications kit, ( I recommend installation from radio experts to eliminate engine noise from faulty grounding installs.). Honda is still new to dealers and install issues. I bought a PCI, Lawrance GPS and I love it, I also bought a rear camera that hooks to the Lawrance gps giving me both back up camera and rear view when driving forward. Bought a full glass Honda front windshield and full Honda rear window. Bought a Horn and 4 point Shoulder Harnesses.
I am waiting for a spare tire rack that does not block out rear view visibility, plus waiting for a roof rack, and a solution to clogged air filters at every servicing, 600 miles probably should change at every 400 miles. I am not seeing a good airseperator when have a full rear wind shield..also waiting for a good glass full windshield that opens at top for added air flow on hot summer days..

·
Registered
60 Posts
The bottom line is, there is nothing wrong with spacers unless you are exceeding factory wheel offsets and spacers don't come loose when properly torqued. Some blue loctite along with properly torqueing would be added insurance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts