Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
You don’t have to believe me. Look it up. Search “why is the rear axle narrower than the front”. That will show you that you don’t know what you are talking about. I believe you set up sprint cars about as much as you being an engineer. If you were an engineer, why are you asking about putting spacers on your car. I suppose that driving at a whopping 20 mph, you wouldn’t notice any difference. I’m done arguing with you. You have now been ignored!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
K
Can somebody who is still running stock tires/rims, go out to the garage and measure the difference between their front and rear widths? This will give us an idea of what the engineers who originally designed the vehicle had in mind! I remember measuring mine during the short time I had them, but did not write it down. However, as I recall there was NOT a significant difference between the front and rear.

"Honda Talons come with a stock wheel offset of 6+1, and the hub-to-hub width in the font is roughly 3 inches narrower than the rear. If you’re looking to run the same offset on the front and rear, you’ll need wheel spacers to maintain factory tracking. Alternatively, if you want your bike to have a similar front and rear width, there are options out there like STI rims with an offset of 6+1 in the front and 4+3 in the rear, or System 3 rims with an offset of 5.5+1.5 in the front and a 4+3 offset in the rear that will put the front and rear widths within an inch of each other."

Finally got time to go out in the garage just letting you know there’s a half inch difference on my 2021 talon 1000 R The rear end is wider by a half inch

·
Registered
38 Posts
I never asked anything about spacers myself. Spacers don't hurt anything. There's always some clown that knows everything and everyone else is wrong. I personally don't race my Talon as my wife wouldn't like it sitting in the passenger seat while riding trails here in MO that aren't much wider than the Talon.

After some major dirtbike crashes (one cost me an expensive helicopter ride), my racing days are over. Even my Honda trx 250r has been retired.

BTW...My best friend still occasionally runs his sprint cars but only special events here at SFCR in Farmington, MO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m confused why BMurray is asking about spacers since he’s an engineer? If your an engineer, don’t you already know everything about everything. I’ve been watching this post and some people rely on info from this site without verifying it. I took Ticster’s advice and did further research on the front vs. rear widths. He was right! Cars are wider in the front so they handle , steer, and track better. Some even say that they get better traction. He was also right about the extra rotating mass, and additional un-sprung weight of spacers. BMurray should have stated at the start that he only drives 20 mph. Why would you spend that kind of money on a machine like a Talon to do that? I think he should have just bought a golf cart.

·
Registered
38 Posts
First of all I just commented on the spacers. I didn’t ask as it wasn’t my thread. I’m not going to redraw the system in Solid Works so you can see it. Just go measure it. This is not a street car but an off-road machine. I don’t ride on road courses and in MO theres mostly tight trails that’s been atv trails for ages. so your wheel spacers are irrelevant. BTW, the factory Talon is wider in the rear. I guess they designed it wrong. I’ll bet my Talon that you’ll never notice “handling” issues when riding national forest or really any trail, especially since I’m the same width as factory. If you want to come over I’ll take you on some and see if you can hit 70 mph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If spacers make the wheel widths the same as stock why does this mess up the geometry. If I used spacers with stock wheels I could see that makes a difference
I bought spacers for my Talon since I am going to be running sand tires (5+2) at all four corners. My experience in sand is that more vehicle width helps a lot for stability. Of course width changes can have an adverse reaction - trail width on narrow trails, but its all a matter of what you're looking for...
I will probably use the stock wheels on regular trails and roads, but sand is my main place to play....

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
If spacers make the wheel widths the same as stock why does this mess up the geometry. If I used spacers with stock wheels I could see that makes a difference
All vehicles are wider in the front. It makes them track and steer better. For some unknown reason, some guys want the front and rear the same. For looks I guess? The only time the majority of guys run narrow front widths is in the dunes. Being narrow up front makes the car nose over the outside corner when turning. This makes it cut and turn better. Spacers add extra rotating mass and un sprung weight. This has adverse effects on your suspension. If your just driving on gravel roads, the extra weight isn’t a problem. If your going to use the suspension, it will make the suspension slower to react. Honda sets it up for a wide variety of riding. You can set it up any way you want. All I’m say is if you want to improve the way your talon handles on everything but sand, make the front wider. If you want it to handle better in the sand, make the rea wider. If your only riding 20 mph like bummery, it won’t matter how you set up your talon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When we would set up the team’s TRX250r’s for dirt track racing, the front end was always 1” -1 1/2” wider per side. I’m no mechanical engineer, or operated billion dollar metal working machines for 52 years, but as was hired to set up race quads. With our team winning a lot of races and championships, everyone else was wanting to know our set ups.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All you are doing when you run the same wheel offset on all 4 tires and having spacers in the rear is bringing the measurements back to what they were stock. I too want to run all wheels with the same offset so I can carry a spare. The front is a little wider than the rear, stock. I will lean toward the honda engineers suggestion.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Do what you want, but if you look into any vehicle that is produced, they are all wider in the front and the rear. There is a reason for that, its handling. Honda sets them up square because they don’t know what you’re doing with the vehicle. Are you going to the dunes? Are you going to the mountains? Are you driving them down the road? It is always suggested to run them wider in the front and the rear, no matter what you think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only exception to the wider in the front rule, is in the dunes. Narrower in the front makes the front lay over on the outside, dig in and turn better. We would always set up the race quads wider in the front. It plants the front and rotates the rear around In the dirt. If you want looks over handling, and don’t like the front being wider, run the spacers on the rear. Even though your suspension will suffer, you will look cool. At least in your mind. It will be fine if your not using the suspension travel. That extra weight will effect the unsprung weight, rotating mass, and suspension reaction Once you start using the shocks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All you are doing when you run the same wheel offset on all 4 tires and having spacers in the rear is bringing the measurements back to what they were stock. I too want to run all wheels with the same offset so I can carry a spare. The front is a little wider than the rear, stock. I will lean toward the honda engineers suggestion.
Honda engineers? They are the same engineers that engineered the air filter that plugs up with dirt after a hundred miles, the differential seals that leak, the u joints that spits the caps out, and the terrible suspension geometry. I would steer towards the proven and tested off-road and on road engineers that have been designing cars, trucks, and off-road race cars for years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So pretty much run them square with 1.5" spacers and they will be just like the Honda engineers designed it, and contrary to what some dude says, they handle great just the way they were designed

·
Registered
10 Posts
They won’t handle great. Honda engineers didn‘t account for the added weight of wheel spacers. Again, when you add more unsprung weight, it effects everything. If your not using the suspension in the dunes or where it will do any traveling, it will be fine. If that’s the case, why did you buy a Talon? You could have bought a Kabota, or John Deere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess some of the forum trolls will believe anything they read on here as long as it fits their narrative. “I want to run spacers, tell me how great they are”.” I won’t look anywhere else that will talk me out of them.“ This is amazing to see. Personally, I do research from a lot of sources before I make my decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fits the narrative???? All we are saying, if you would listen, is that when you run the same size tires and wheels that it makes you MORE wider in the front. Therefore, if you run spacers in the rear then it brings you back to the measurements that it was when stock, which is STILL wider in the front. As for the “unsprung” weight I hardly think a couple pounds is going to do anything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You are both the forum trolls and you are both idiots, and for all I know you are both the same idiot who spew the same shit. Look it up .... because everything you read on the internet is true!!! LMFAO Any time you add larger tired and headlocks you are adding 20 times the weight of a wheel spacer, but that apparently doesn't matter? How about adding R model A arms to an X and all the rest of the stuff to make the swap? That's not adding your dreaded unsprung weight? SMH. I would love to have you show me just how much faster and how much better your junk is than mine with these precision race cars.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts