Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
All vehicles are wider in the front. It makes them track and steer better. For some unknown reason, some guys want the front and rear the same. For looks I guess? The only time the majority of guys run narrow front widths is in the dunes. Being narrow up front makes the car nose over the outside corner when turning. This makes it cut and turn better. Spacers add extra rotating mass and un sprung weight. This has adverse effects on your suspension. If your just driving on gravel roads, the extra weight isn’t a problem. If your going to use the suspension, it will make the suspension slower to react.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have 6+1 wheels all around with 1-1/2" spacers on the rear. This achieves as close to stock width as possible and works great.

There is no reason not to use spacers as long as you don't exceed stock wheel width. Just make sure to properly torque them and you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On my "X" model - I went with stock X "rear" rims on all 4 locations - 1 1/2 inch spacers in the rear - now the front and rear are the same width and I can rotate the rims/tires without dismounting the tires from the rims which is a total PITA - not sure why Honda went with different offsets on the rims.......an engineering marvel I'm guessing - Ugh That idea was right up there with the horrible springs that came on these machines...........anyway..........The spacer and rims setup I have has worked well so far -

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
100 Posts
To square things up with aftermarket rims/tire all of the same size, absolutely everyone runs 1.5" spacers in the rear. I have NEVER seen a machine without them (and you would sure look dorky if you didn't!).

Now if you are referring to running spacers all the way around to get some extra width, that would probably not be a great idea. If that is you intent, just get some rims with a wider offset instead.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
You don’t know absolutely everyone. Look at any car out on the highway. They are all wider in the front than the rear. You probably don’t see it because it such a longer vehicle, but they are. If you’re going for looks, go ahead with the wheel spacers. If you’re going for handling let the front be a little bit wider than the rear. It will track and handle a lot better, Plus you won’t have the additional unsprung weight and rotating mass. But if you don’t know about geometry and how many car tracks, you probably don’t know about rotating mass or unsprung weight. If you don’t believe me, go ask any front in alignment guy that knows what the hell he’s talking about. He will tell you, the front is always wider than the rear.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
100 Posts
Can somebody who is still running stock tires/rims, go out to the garage and measure the difference between their front and rear widths? This will give us an idea of what the engineers who originally designed the vehicle had in mind! I remember measuring mine during the short time I had them, but did not write it down. However, as I recall there was NOT a significant difference between the front and rear.

"Honda Talons come with a stock wheel offset of 6+1, and the hub-to-hub width in the font is roughly 3 inches narrower than the rear. If you’re looking to run the same offset on the front and rear, you’ll need wheel spacers to maintain factory tracking. Alternatively, if you want your bike to have a similar front and rear width, there are options out there like STI rims with an offset of 6+1 in the front and 4+3 in the rear, or System 3 rims with an offset of 5.5+1.5 in the front and a 4+3 offset in the rear that will put the front and rear widths within an inch of each other."

·
Registered
24 Posts
You don’t know absolutely everyone. Look at any car out on the highway. They are all wider in the front than the rear. You probably don’t see it because it such a longer vehicle, but they are. If you’re going for looks, go ahead with the wheel spacers. If you’re going for handling let the front be a little bit wider than the rear. It will track and handle a lot better, Plus you won’t have the additional unsprung weight and rotating mass. But if you don’t know about geometry and how many car tracks, you probably don’t know about rotating mass or unsprung weight. If you don’t believe me, go ask any front in alignment guy that knows what the hell he’s talking about. He will tell you, the front is always wider than the rear.
I have to disagree with your statements. The 1.5" RB3 spacers don't weigh squat and are machined and look like a piece of art, adding larger tires adds way more rotating weight than the spacers do. If you look at the way the Honda it set up with the mismatched stock wheels they end up running in the same tracks. If you want to run the same tires and wheels front and rear and you'd like it to track in the same path, and you'd like to be able to rotate the tires, then the spacers are the way to go. Hell even the race teams run spacers, and they don't have any issues with them, they handle like crap in sand with them running in separate tracks. I have had the 5x2 wheels with spacers on since I got it home and they work flawless. .

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Then why do race cars always run a wider front end? Yeah, they might run spacers. They always run the front end wider than the rear. The sand is totally different than dirt. In the sand you want a little bit narrower in the front, so the car lays over on the outside corner and digs in a little bit to turn. If you want to run spacers to make the tires in the same track, go for it! I’m just telling you what geometry there is in cars that are wider in the front. Some people would rather have luxe then function.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Honda sets it up so it tracks the same with because they don’t know what you’re going to do with the machine. If you want to keep it stock width go for it! All I’m saying is other than the sand, it will handle better if you are wider in the front then the rear.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
And I work for NASA. I honestly care less what you put on your SxS, I’m just trying to help you get your car to handle better. After spending many years on dirt tracks and setting up suspensions, I have tried everything imaginable. You may or may not have a engineering degree and may be a journeyman machinist, I don’t care! It doesn’t matter how many million dollar machines you worked on for 30 years.I know a lot of engineers like you that have to tell people they have a degree because they have no real world experience and no one believes what they are saying. Just because your engineering books say something will work or won’t work, until you try it you don’t know.
Never been called a woke lib before. That’s a new one!

·
Registered
38 Posts
one thing for sure is at 52 years old I can back up my skills. Bring your narrow rear and show me the difference on a Midwest trail at 20mph. Also when we setup sprint cars, the rear was never narrower, that would be the craziest thing we could do on four wheels. Same with my three boy’s flat track race quads. narrower rear does nothing for handling or the talon would have had one.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts