Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
On my "X" model - I went with stock X "rear" rims on all 4 locations - 1 1/2 inch spacers in the rear - now the front and rear are the same width and I can rotate the rims/tires without dismounting the tires from the rims which is a total PITA - not sure why Honda went with different offsets on the rims.......an engineering marvel I'm guessing - Ugh That idea was right up there with the horrible springs that came on these machines...........anyway..........The spacer and rims setup I have has worked well so far -

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
167 Posts
To square things up with aftermarket rims/tire all of the same size, absolutely everyone runs 1.5" spacers in the rear. I have NEVER seen a machine without them (and you would sure look dorky if you didn't!).

Now if you are referring to running spacers all the way around to get some extra width, that would probably not be a great idea. If that is you intent, just get some rims with a wider offset instead.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
167 Posts
Can somebody who is still running stock tires/rims, go out to the garage and measure the difference between their front and rear widths? This will give us an idea of what the engineers who originally designed the vehicle had in mind! I remember measuring mine during the short time I had them, but did not write it down. However, as I recall there was NOT a significant difference between the front and rear.

"Honda Talons come with a stock wheel offset of 6+1, and the hub-to-hub width in the font is roughly 3 inches narrower than the rear. If you’re looking to run the same offset on the front and rear, you’ll need wheel spacers to maintain factory tracking. Alternatively, if you want your bike to have a similar front and rear width, there are options out there like STI rims with an offset of 6+1 in the front and 4+3 in the rear, or System 3 rims with an offset of 5.5+1.5 in the front and a 4+3 offset in the rear that will put the front and rear widths within an inch of each other."

·
Registered
32 Posts
You don’t know absolutely everyone. Look at any car out on the highway. They are all wider in the front than the rear. You probably don’t see it because it such a longer vehicle, but they are. If you’re going for looks, go ahead with the wheel spacers. If you’re going for handling let the front be a little bit wider than the rear. It will track and handle a lot better, Plus you won’t have the additional unsprung weight and rotating mass. But if you don’t know about geometry and how many car tracks, you probably don’t know about rotating mass or unsprung weight. If you don’t believe me, go ask any front in alignment guy that knows what the hell he’s talking about. He will tell you, the front is always wider than the rear.
I have to disagree with your statements. The 1.5" RB3 spacers don't weigh squat and are machined and look like a piece of art, adding larger tires adds way more rotating weight than the spacers do. If you look at the way the Honda it set up with the mismatched stock wheels they end up running in the same tracks. If you want to run the same tires and wheels front and rear and you'd like it to track in the same path, and you'd like to be able to rotate the tires, then the spacers are the way to go. Hell even the race teams run spacers, and they don't have any issues with them, they handle like crap in sand with them running in separate tracks. I have had the 5x2 wheels with spacers on since I got it home and they work flawless. .

·
Read Only
33 Posts
one thing for sure is at 52 years old I can back up my skills. Bring your narrow rear and show me the difference on a Midwest trail at 20mph. Also when we setup sprint cars, the rear was never narrower, that would be the craziest thing we could do on four wheels. Same with my three boy’s flat track race quads. narrower rear does nothing for handling or the talon would have had one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
K
Can somebody who is still running stock tires/rims, go out to the garage and measure the difference between their front and rear widths? This will give us an idea of what the engineers who originally designed the vehicle had in mind! I remember measuring mine during the short time I had them, but did not write it down. However, as I recall there was NOT a significant difference between the front and rear.

"Honda Talons come with a stock wheel offset of 6+1, and the hub-to-hub width in the font is roughly 3 inches narrower than the rear. If you’re looking to run the same offset on the front and rear, you’ll need wheel spacers to maintain factory tracking. Alternatively, if you want your bike to have a similar front and rear width, there are options out there like STI rims with an offset of 6+1 in the front and 4+3 in the rear, or System 3 rims with an offset of 5.5+1.5 in the front and a 4+3 offset in the rear that will put the front and rear widths within an inch of each other."

Finally got time to go out in the garage just letting you know there’s a half inch difference on my 2021 talon 1000 R The rear end is wider by a half inch

·
Read Only
33 Posts
I never asked anything about spacers myself. Spacers don't hurt anything. There's always some clown that knows everything and everyone else is wrong. I personally don't race my Talon as my wife wouldn't like it sitting in the passenger seat while riding trails here in MO that aren't much wider than the Talon.

After some major dirtbike crashes (one cost me an expensive helicopter ride), my racing days are over. Even my Honda trx 250r has been retired.

BTW...My best friend still occasionally runs his sprint cars but only special events here at SFCR in Farmington, MO.

·
Read Only
33 Posts
First of all I just commented on the spacers. I didn’t ask as it wasn’t my thread. I’m not going to redraw the system in Solid Works so you can see it. Just go measure it. This is not a street car but an off-road machine. I don’t ride on road courses and in MO theres mostly tight trails that’s been atv trails for ages. so your wheel spacers are irrelevant. BTW, the factory Talon is wider in the rear. I guess they designed it wrong. I’ll bet my Talon that you’ll never notice “handling” issues when riding national forest or really any trail, especially since I’m the same width as factory. If you want to come over I’ll take you on some and see if you can hit 70 mph.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If spacers make the wheel widths the same as stock why does this mess up the geometry. If I used spacers with stock wheels I could see that makes a difference
I bought spacers for my Talon since I am going to be running sand tires (5+2) at all four corners. My experience in sand is that more vehicle width helps a lot for stability. Of course width changes can have an adverse reaction - trail width on narrow trails, but its all a matter of what you're looking for...
I will probably use the stock wheels on regular trails and roads, but sand is my main place to play....

·
Registered
2 Posts
All you are doing when you run the same wheel offset on all 4 tires and having spacers in the rear is bringing the measurements back to what they were stock. I too want to run all wheels with the same offset so I can carry a spare. The front is a little wider than the rear, stock. I will lean toward the honda engineers suggestion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.