Honda Talon Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Vendor
251 Posts
Just about every model out there the Tender springs are collapsed straight from the factory! Makes you wonder why they just didn’t eliminate them all together!
That tender spring doesn't really have anything to do with shock performance. Its just there to keep pressure on the lower spring, and has no other purpose. BUT...it would be nice if they used a better spring in there.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon X
59 Posts
If it has nothing to do with performance, how come changing the tenders to a stiffer one dramatically improves ride quality?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I’m in no way a shock or suspension expert.....

here is my spin on it...

The tender provides initial bump absorption before the main spring takes over.

Since the talon tenders were pretty much compressed from new - that spring is too weak and you are just riding on the main spring. Look at a rzr as well - they are the same.

I swapped mine to a bandit spring that is thicker and harder to compress - so in theory that spring has a higher rate than the stock talon tender spring but a lower rate than the main spring which will allow the tender spring to absorb a bump before the main spring is activated. With the stock talon setup - the tender springs was collapsed from the weight of the machine and basically riding on the main lower spring.

I did pick up ride height as well.

I’ve had enduro/MX dirt bikes, race quads, RZR sxs and now this talon - EVERY machine needed about $250-$350 per each suspension end, corner, etc. to suit my riding style and comfort factor. Industry just can’t or doesn’t want to sell new machines with suspension option 1, 2, 3 or 4 based on where you live or where your ride. Would be nice 👍 but not reality.

Some others have said it - spend 1st money on suspension - fully agree!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
It can be set up lots of different ways according to what you are trying to do.
But truth is, RZR's ride better and handle better than the Talons even with the dreaded compressed springs so the problem is with the Talons, not the RZR's.
Like SuperATV and 19PSU88 said, it lets the main spring work in the travel it is designed to and just takes up the slack when the shock tops out to keep the main spring from flopping. A solid spacer won't work for this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
RZR 1000 springs. Front is collapsed which give you a single spring rate.
Rear is not collapsed which gives you a dual spring rate. These are stock springs at recommended ride height.

The stock factory suspension on this RZR is set up to fly level, hopefully, on jumps and not buck the rear off the jump and to handle relatively well on a race course. But the smooth ride in regular trail use is just an extra bonus.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have not yet pulled the trigger on a new Talon. I've been trying to research all products. First, let me tell you that I am totally new to the whole SXS thing. Just want one for the wife and I to explore with when we go camping. My question to you owners is: Now that you've had your SXS for awhile, what do you wish you would have known before making the purchase? What would you do differently if you could start over? When I look at the RZR's and other brands, I see so many more features like onboard gps, ride command and winches, tailgates and bumpers, bead-lock wheels etc included in the original price. Don't get me wrong, I'm in this forum because I want a Talon. 2 things I've noticed though: 1) They seem pretty stripped down to start with, and 2) The dealers all seem to think they have to get MSRP plus almost a grand for "destination" fees, deal dock, prep (another $500) etc, etc. Kind of like there's a shortage and you can take it or leave it. Your advice is appreciated.
Thank you for your help.
Purchased 2021 Talon X Two seater Live Valve around 3 months ago, myself and the wife do a lot of trail riding in the East mostly 0 -25 mph, we both love the machine but the suspension is a killer. G-Force in Johnson T.N. is the only one that will respring and revalve the 2021 X Two seater at the moment just waiting on the cash to get this done, until then we have three 50lb bags in the rear which helps somewhat, I'm just an ole fart of 60 and can't take the hard suspension anymore.

Yes, I would definitely buy another Talon

·
Registered
7 Posts
The ride is very stiff, Throttle response is horrible in a tight spot, turning radius is horrible, Transmission and Engine ok, no belt is great. The driver seat is too low for climbing.
The instrument cluster is too small to read underway. The air cleaner inlet is in a Terrible location with way too much dust. I install a partial separator that helps a lot
and changing the air filter element is terrible way too much time in volume. I live in the desert with lots of dust. On the hold, I like my Honda.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have not yet pulled the trigger on a new Talon. I've been trying to research all products. First, let me tell you that I am totally new to the whole SXS thing. Just want one for the wife and I to explore with when we go camping. My question to you owners is: Now that you've had your SXS for awhile, what do you wish you would have known before making the purchase? What would you do differently if you could start over? When I look at the RZR's and other brands, I see so many more features like onboard gps, ride command and winches, tailgates and bumpers, bead-lock wheels etc included in the original price. Don't get me wrong, I'm in this forum because I want a Talon. 2 things I've noticed though: 1) They seem pretty stripped down to start with, and 2) The dealers all seem to think they have to get MSRP plus almost a grand for "destination" fees, deal dock, prep (another $500) etc, etc. Kind of like there's a shortage and you can take it or leave it. Your advice is appreciated.
Thank you for your help.
I have had my 2000 4 SXS live shocks for a year now. First time in the SXS game. 74 yrs old. First wish I would have checked all oil levels, they did not have oil in the transmission, for 100 miles, but so far no problem, still under warrantee, plus dealer gave me 5 yr warrantee. They eat up Air Filters..600 miles max. Make sure the Dealer includes their top service rep walking you through the service, show you levels on your Honda and how to best service. I was handed a manual. I upgraded head lights, probably not necessary for me not doing lots of night driving. I did put in a full windshield and back full windshield, new lower front door panels, and side storage bags. Oh I bought a PCI, Lawrance GPS and I bought a back up camera. Can even watch rear camera while driving forward. I up graded to full seat harness. I catch myself driving a little dangerously fast and their seat belts did not feel safe with my driving. The Honda Talon, I Love it. Paddle shifting, lots of room, Seats are good. Easy to clean, Easy to service after some training. Learn to do your own service if needed. Oh small gas tank 7.5? gallons. Ordered a 2 gallon reserve gas set up. I am looking at a Radio and Sound Intercutom..plus New Tires and Rims? I might keep the same rims? I currently do not have a spare tire. I am glad I did not buy Turbo its very fast. Not a Honda roof rack out yet. I did not get a front winch as we do Baja Driving. oh I have a long curved rear view mirror I like it..A full front windshield reduces mirror options, bu we love our Honda glass front windshield, but during Baja desert can get warm but it reduces dust and cold air..

San Diego

·
Registered
3 Posts
No way after researching the Honda Talon would I purchase it, too many negatives, but the biggest is the rear suspension is junk, period and no spring kit or revalving can over come the design flaw of too short of rear trailing arm which puts the center of gravity too far reward, I was 100 % a Honda guy and there motor and transmission is top of the line but the rear suspension geometry is the flaw, time to get the best suspension in the business the Kawasaki KXR 1000, they have the strongest frame bar none, roomiest cab, double tab reinforced mounting points and the list goes on, namely the price is the same as the Talon...so you have been warned, think long and hard spending that much for a flawed design...🤯
You must have done all the same research I did lol! Totally agree with your assessment. Other than lack of power (mostly weight related) the Kawasaki is the best machine on the market. Unfortunately for me, I live in WI and our trails are a max of 64". I couldn't stomach buying another Polaris so my only real choice was the Talon. I bought a 2020 Talon 1000x 2 seater and a 2021 1000x Live Valve 2 seater for my wife. Rear suspension sucks, way too harsh. There are only two differences I could feel while driving the Live Valve vs the standard is 1) Live Valve stays noticeable flatter when you flick it into a corner. 2) During hard braking, the front end doesn't dive as much. Otherwise, I couldn't tell the difference, both are extremely harsh. After 100 miles of riding my neck was literally sore from the kicking and bucking of the rear of the machine. I sent my shocks on the 2020 to Shock Therapy for springs and revalving. Wow! What a difference. Now it feels like I am riding on a pillow (in a good way). Machine stays straight on the rough chop and you can feel the wheels getting right back on the ground on the kicker bumps. Way more plush yet doesn't bottom out easily. I can drive this thing all day long. Only negatives I can come up with so far is that it probably nose dives slightly more off of short ramp jumps ( they all do but it seems slightly more after revalve) and it has slightly more body roll but not enough to make me nervous throwing it into a corner. I agree that it has a geometry problem in the rear suspension but for my riding ( fairly tight wooded trails 20-50mpg) its pretty dam good. I can't comment on the guys riding in the desert or dunes but for where I ride, its way better than the RZR 1000S and RZR 900XP that I owned previously and I really like the 900xp in its day. I hate spending $1700 to fix a problem that the factory should have got right in the first lace but its well worth the money. If Kawasaki came out with a 64" version next year, I don't think I would give up my Talon. Transmission is pretty awesome with no belt. I'm 6'1" and have plenty of room in the cab. I didn't like the fairly tall and upright seating position so I ditched the stock seat adjuster, lowered and slightly leaned the seat back a little and now it is perfect for me :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
The folks who complain about the lack of power compared to a RZR when they put 32" tires on the Talon need to watch a video on YouTube where the reviewer puts 32"s on his Talon and takes off the stock 28" tires. He ran before and after tests from 0 to 60 mph in two wheel and four wheel drive and with launch control with both sizes of tires. He could run 0-60 mph in about 9.6 seconds on stock 28" tires, and with 32" tires his time dropped to about 15.3 seconds. That shows a very significant loss of power due to the over size tires. If you put oversize tires on expect a loss of power. Sure, a turbo would help but expect issues with the clutches if you ride hard. You gotta pay to play!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
The folks who complain about the lack of power compared to a RZR when they put 32" tires on the Talon need to watch a video on YouTube where the reviewer puts 32"s on his Talon and takes off the stock 28" tires. He ran before and after tests from 0 to 60 mph in two wheel and four wheel drive and with launch control with both sizes of tires. He could run 0-60 mph in about 9.6 seconds on stock 28" tires, and with 32" tires his time dropped to about 15.3 seconds. That shows a very significant loss of power due to the over size tires. If you put oversize tires on expect a loss of power. Sure, a turbo would help but expect issues with the clutches if you ride hard. You gotta pay to play!
I saw that video. To me it's a matter of deciding what you want to do. I have read a lot of folks who want the 32's because the do a lot of trail riding and rock crawling in the desert. Of course, it you want to do dunes that's a whole different setup. For me, I've decided that when my factory tires wear out, I'm going to go with 30's. From all I've read, those or 31's are a good middle ground. The Talon is my first SXS and it's just my wife and I. If I get too crazy, it would just be me, so...... The only other UTV's I have any experience with are Mules, both gas and electric and I thought those were pretty cool, so the Talon is going to be great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put 30’s on my 1000x 2 seater and would argue that there is a noticeable drop in power/acceleration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The very first thing you do is learn how the suspension actually works. Set the car ride height and the crossover setting and adjust from there. If you haven't checked your ride height or crossover, you're doing it WRONG. You can set Talons to be super soft or super hard but you have to understand how it works, not just go drive it and complain.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you for your help.
Dealers will tell you everything is going to be difficult to find and the world only received enough SxS for certain people and if you ride too far you'll drive right off the end of the flat earth none of which is true. there is no shortage of SxS and the earth isn't flat, However if they can't convince you that the Talon is worth what they are asking then they will convince the next guy . the larger dealers really don't care if you buy them at the higher price because the next guy will go to a smaller shop they don't own the machines in most cases and are willing to make a deal with you to get the next newer item in after they sell this model they have to juggle their money so to speak so quicker sale faster new item coming in

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon X
59 Posts
The very first thing you do is learn how the suspension actually works. Set the car ride height and the crossover setting and adjust from there. If you haven't checked your ride height or crossover, you're doing it WRONG. You can set Talons to be super soft or super hard but you have to understand how it works, not just go drive it and complain.
You cannot set a talon super soft. Not gonna happen stock.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You cannot set a talon super soft. Not gonna happen stock.
I will respectfully have to disagree with you. My X on 32" tires and full suspension job done (springs, valving, and hi/low compression adjusters) is super plush. My wife has back problems and she says it floats!! The Talon can be set up very well/soft, if you have the right guy do it!! And Gary from G-Force racing is a wizard! I honestly can't believe how well this thing handles now!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will respectfully have to disagree with you. My X on 32" tires and full suspension job done (springs, valving, and hi/low compression adjusters) is super plush. My wife has back problems and she says it floats!! The Talon can be set up very well/soft, if you have the right guy do it!! And Gary from G-Force racing is a wizard! I honestly can't believe how well this thing handles now!!
I agree, Honda needs to have Gary at G on their payroll, my 2021 X Live valve actually has low speed suspension now since they did their magic.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon X
59 Posts
See the post I was responding to. Stock. Not 32's and $1500 worth of suspension work.

·
Registered
2021 Talon 1000R
4 Posts
I'm a newb here on this forum but must admit it the ride is a lot rougher than my old Maverick. So how can I adjust springs for a softer more compliant ride? I set the valve control at 3 and at 1 but cannot really tell a difference. Still pretty stiff. Do I need to lengthen the springs? How much? I only have 40 miles on it and maybe springs need to wear in? soften up? Any help would be appreciated. Do I need to order new shocks from Shock Therapy? or can I just adjust myself?

61 - 80 of 86 Posts