Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
First, let me tell you that I am totally new to the whole SXS thing. Just want one for the wife and I to explore with when we go camping.
For that purpose I would have purchased either a Kawasaki Teryx (more cab room, still very sporty if that is your thing) or, more likely a Yamaha Wolverine (more carrying stuff room, less engine noise, less engine heat, better priced accessory packages, better price period, been around forever, will do more than you might have the boldness to try). A friend has the Yamaha and has nothing but great things to say about it.

What I learned after buying the Honda. Genuine Honda accessories are expensive as heck, the suspension is outstanding for folks who have never had a similar vehicle (me). I like it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have not yet pulled the trigger on a new Talon. I've been trying to research all products. First, let me tell you that I am totally new to the whole SXS thing. Just want one for the wife and I to explore with when we go camping. My question to you owners is: Now that you've had your SXS for awhile, what do you wish you would have known before making the purchase? What would you do differently if you could start over? When I look at the RZR's and other brands, I see so many more features like onboard gps, ride command and winches, tailgates and bumpers, bead-lock wheels etc included in the original price. Don't get me wrong, I'm in this forum because I want a Talon. 2 things I've noticed though: 1) They seem pretty stripped down to start with, and 2) The dealers all seem to think they have to get MSRP plus almost a grand for "destination" fees, deal dock, prep (another $500) etc, etc. Kind of like there's a shortage and you can take it or leave it. Your advice is appreciated.
Thank you for your help.
I had a 2019 Polaris 100 Turbo and i had it for a year and I traded it in for a Talon because of the belt and where I ride the belt isn't that great of an Idea, However i can tell you the same friend that talked me into the Talon because he had a 2019 Talon and also previously owned a Can am and a Polaris is now regretting the Talon he has had his new 2021 Talon in the shop more than on the trails and I never had any issues with my Polaris and yes it had GPS and Turbo and all the goodies from the start and was cheaper than my bare bones Talon, and although I was able to sell my Polaris without losing any money at all ( cause I didn't trade it in I sold it on Letgo ) I think for what you are doing or are looking to do GET THE POLARIS take care of the belt by making sure you are completely stopped before changing from any gear to another and you'll be very happy with your choice. I wish I had mine back even though now I have 2 2021 talons and no problems with either I should have kept the Polaris . also if you go with the Talon DO NOT GET AN "X" unless you only plan to use it as a leisure easy going toy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have not yet pulled the trigger on a new Talon. I've been trying to research all products. First, let me tell you that I am totally new to the whole SXS thing. Just want one for the wife and I to explore with when we go camping. My question to you owners is: Now that you've had your SXS for awhile, what do you wish you would have known before making the purchase? What would you do differently if you could start over? When I look at the RZR's and other brands, I see so many more features like onboard gps, ride command and winches, tailgates and bumpers, bead-lock wheels etc included in the original price. Don't get me wrong, I'm in this forum because I want a Talon. 2 things I've noticed though: 1) They seem pretty stripped down to start with, and 2) The dealers all seem to think they have to get MSRP plus almost a grand for "destination" fees, deal dock, prep (another $500) etc, etc. Kind of like there's a shortage and you can take it or leave it. Your advice is appreciated.
Thank you for your help.
You will love engine & transmission, you hate the throttle. No storage, the air cleaner is to small for the out west area even with a particle separator new element after 300 miles need a paper filter like RZR I blow my out after every ride and replace it after every third ride. The ride is rough.
If I had to do it over again. It wouldn't be a Honda or Rzr. The new KRX100 looks pretty good on the whole need more horsepower. Can Am is good if you like the layback seating position?very noisy in the cab.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Probably worth noting that there does not seem to be any sport side by side that does not seem to have given some owners a lot of problems.

An example Rzr 1000 common problems , you can probably google "Can Am side by side problems" or Yamaha or etc etc and find the same thing.

Would be really nice to have a large enough data base to see which brand has the most lemons.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Rincon, 2013 Can Am Renegade XXC
6 Posts
Thank you for your help.
Thank you for your help.
No way after researching the Honda Talon would I purchase it, too many negatives, but the biggest is the rear suspension is junk, period and no spring kit or revalving can over come the design flaw of too short of rear trailing arm which puts the center of gravity too far reward, I was 100 % a Honda guy and there motor and transmission is top of the line but the rear suspension geometry is the flaw, time to get the best suspension in the business the Kawasaki KXR 1000, they have the strongest frame bar none, roomiest cab, double tab reinforced mounting points and the list goes on, namely the price is the same as the Talon...so you have been warned, think long and hard spending that much for a flawed design...🤯

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both Honda and Yamaha have the same rear suspension design flaw, go to Shock Therapy on youtube and view the 'What to buy' video and there tech video about rear trailing arm will make you a believer that KXR1000 has the best suspension in the game

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh yeah I made my first mistake back in 2010 when I purchased the 2008 RZR 50" with Polaris design flaw air box that leaked sand I to the motor and wanted it in under 300 miles, again research on youtube Polaris airbox failure of 2008-2010 RZR motors...been there done that and paid the price

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought the Talon X4 a few months ago, new to SxS but not new to ATVs, sandrails, or dune buggies. I agree with most of the others that the slow speed suspension is a little stiff. We put new tender springs on and it made a huge difference for our riding. We don't race or dune anymore, just ride desert and forest trails at reasonable speeds and with the tender spring rides just fine. Regarding the jerky throttle, that is a side effect of direct drive. If you ever drove a high HP sand rail you experience the same issue. You learn how to deal with it. On the Talon it took me about 15 minutes to remember keep my foot against the tunnel in the rough stuff. Ours did have the front diff seal issue within the first 100 miles but the dealer fixed it without question.

If you aren't doing fast riding the stock suspension with the $200 tender springs would probably be ok. High speed dunes or jumping is where you will benefit from the high dollar suspension improvements. It all just depends on your riding style.

If you find the right dealer you can still get a good deal. We paid $3k under MSRP. Usually each region tends to have a dealer that deals better than the rest, but there will likely be a waiting list at this time. Good luck in your search for a SxS.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Both Honda and Yamaha have the same rear suspension design flaw, go to Shock Therapy on youtube and view the 'What to buy' video and there tech video about rear trailing arm will make you a believer that KXR1000 has the best suspension in the game
Interesting vid, thank you for the suggestion. The KXR was not an option for me (mud, woods, tight trails) due to the increased size and weight (406 pounds heavier than the Talon, 68'W vs 64, 19.4' turning radius versus 17.7 Talon) and at about 1:30 in the video they explain that their opinions are not based on woods or mud riding. If my riding was sand dunes and wide open spaces I would certainly have looked harder at the Kaw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I wanted to go ahead and chime in as I too am fairly new into the SXS sport. I love it, its super addicting, and better than owning a sports car for sure.I bought my first YXZ in December and now I am about to purchase my second 4 seater Talon. My first talon got totaled just over a month ago, I lent it to a buddy and the tire came off the bead and flipped on it side at good speed. The talon is great and so much that im willing to buy it again. Now with that said I owned a 2020 live valve x4. I def recommend the live valve, I haven't driven a base model but I will own one soon (only because im getting a good deal on a used one). you really feel the live valve difference and you can sense it activating. I also read a ton about complain of how stiff the ride is but I never complained myself. I think for a few reasons I never felt the internet stiffness; Livevalve being number 1, it being a 4 seater keeps the rear suspension further away from your back, and I haven't own a Polaris or can am so I wouldn't know how those ride. I def recommend a 4 seater over the 2 seater as talon do flip easily and the 4 seater just seems a little better balanced than the 2.

Now onto purchasing, I've been in the market for over a month and have not been able to find a good deal, actually in florida they aren't any 4 seaters at all. I paid 22,300 out the door for my livevalve 2020 x4 at the peak of the pandemic. It seems more and more people have gotten into the sport and spending more time off road and they quickly became a hot commodity. Dealers couldn't restock inventory and I was getting quoted 26,450 for the same unit, which isn't even available anymore. I doubt ill ever get the same deal again to be honest.

My advice to you is to just wait as the new 2021 models are just starting to arrive at dealers and try to pay as close to msrp out the door if possible. Put some money away as the hobby can get expensive quick. The stock tires are terrible and youre gonna want some 30 inchers pretty soon into ownership. Get a snorkel or look into the Uni prefilter mod to save your air filter. Make sure to always get the gear shifter in the right location in high, reverse, and low before giving it any gas. The low gear can give trouble but it never gave me trouble as long as I placed the gear selector all the way down and waiting for the L to display on the cluster. Lastly do lots and lots of research on your accessories, I don't think I can even recommend any Honda accessories and they are many options to make it easier for you and cheaper. XTC power products makes a great bus bar and switch panel to starting anything electrical. NOAM Audio is very inexpensive with great sound quality which tops the Honda OEM SSV works junk radio. KFI makes a great winch plate for only $80. Do your research and it will pay off.

I hope the dealers get real with their pricing sooner than later and that you can start enjoying this fun hobby. Honda quality is all there, I loved my Yamaha but Honda just takes it to the next level. Its not perfect but in my opinion its the best all around unit on the market. Thank you for reading, I hope this was helpful.
The SSV does not have the OOMPH! To justify spending 650 bucks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I bought the Talon X4 a few months ago, new to SxS but not new to ATVs, sandrails, or dune buggies. I agree with most of the others that the slow speed suspension is a little stiff. We put new tender springs on and it made a huge difference for our riding. We don't race or dune anymore, just ride desert and forest trails at reasonable speeds and with the tender spring rides just fine. Regarding the jerky throttle, that is a side effect of direct drive. If you ever drove a high HP sand rail you experience the same issue. You learn how to deal with it. On the Talon it took me about 15 minutes to remember keep my foot against the tunnel in the rough stuff. Ours did have the front diff seal issue within the first 100 miles but the dealer fixed it without question.

If you aren't doing fast riding the stock suspension with the $200 tender springs would probably be ok. High speed dunes or jumping is where you will benefit from the high dollar suspension improvements. It all just depends on your riding style.

If you find the right dealer you can still get a good deal. We paid $3k under MSRP. Usually each region tends to have a dealer that deals better than the rest, but there will likely be a waiting list at this time. Good luck in your search for a SxS.
Thanks for your input. Very helpful. I am 62 and the wife and I just want to explore. If I ever jumped anything that would be the end of it for her. I’ll keep doing my research, but the rubber-band machines are not going to be my first choice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Interesting vid, thank you for the suggestion. The KXR was not an option for me (mud, woods, tight trails) due to the increased size and weight (406 pounds heavier than the Talon, 68'W vs 64, 19.4' turning radius versus 17.7 Talon) and at about 1:30 in the video they explain that their opinions are not based on woods or mud riding. If my riding was sand dunes and wide open spaces I would certainly have looked harder at the Kaw.
I watched that video as well and arrived at the same conclusion you did. The Talon just wasn’t the machine they wanted for the reasons you state. I have no interest in doing what they do with their machines.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You will love engine & transmission, you hate the throttle. No storage, the air cleaner is to small for the out west area even with a particle separator new element after 300 miles need a paper filter like RZR I blow my out after every ride and replace it after every third ride. The ride is rough.
If I had to do it over again. It wouldn't be a Honda or Rzr. The new KRX100 looks pretty good on the whole need more horsepower. Can Am is good if you like the layback seating position?very noisy in the cab.
Before I buy anything, I’m going to test drive several different machines. I can’t speculate about the filter, and have a particle separator down as a must have for whatever I get. Some of the videos I’ve seen with the Talon in desert regions showed pretty amazing results with it. I’ve looked at the KRX1000, but again extra weight and wider turning radius are not plusses for me. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it and have a lot to think about.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon X
59 Posts
Doing it again I would strongly consider the Talon, but I would factor the cost of suspension work needed into my purchase decision. I often ride solo, in some extremely unforgiving climates, and wanted no belt and Honda reliability. IF the tender springs i'm ordering as soon as they're back in stock fix it, i'm 100% happy. If I need to spend $2500 on elka stuff, I won't be very happy...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you for your help.
First thing is do your home work and look at other places. I found a 1000r for $19,999. So I went to the local deal and said this is what I want, then I’ll go else where. Told them $20,000 out the door. No extra fee. They took it. Yes it’s bare, but $3,000 more and you can deck it out with things you need most. I love the machine, the only thing is, get a frame stiffener kit from super atv, first thing. I had 105 miles on mine , only 2 rides and bent the frame right behind the lower a-arm. This is the only issue I’ve have but love it..

·
Registered
2020 talon r
40 Posts
I'm reading these replies with great interest. I'm 68 , and still ride a 2017 crf450r . I've never driven a 4wheeler so I'm going to rent three different brands , and deceide .I've gotten old and much slower and would like to see if this will work for me.So many different machines and trying to pick the right one is harder then I first tought !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Before I buy anything, I’m going to test drive several different machines. I can’t speculate about the filter, and have a particle separator down as a must have for whatever I get. Some of the videos I’ve seen with the Talon in desert regions showed pretty amazing results with it. I’ve looked at the KRX1000, but again extra weight and wider turning radius are not plusses for me. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it and have a lot to think about.
If i were considering a 2 seater i would strongly look at the KRX. That extra weight on the machine is a fit and finish difference. Both my and my brothers talons have easily bent the front a arm and he bent his rear radius rods. The krx is built much more tough and why they carry that extra weight. That’s one of the down sides about the honda. The skid plate is plastic and metal on the kawi but the area that suffers the most from the cheap feel is the front fire wall by your feet. It’s all plastic and any tree branch can break it, where that’s also metal in the kawi. So the weight difference is actually made up by a much beefier machine. I still will always tell you to ONLY buy a 4 seater talon tho. Handles better, you sir further away from the stiff rear suspension, more space for tools or anything you wanna bring along, it’s a fun hobby and people will want to join and it makes it more fun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm reading these replies with great interest. I'm 68 , and still ride a 2017 crf450r . I've never driven a 4wheeler so I'm going to rent three different brands , and deceide .I've gotten old and much slower and would like to see if this will work for me.So many different machines and trying to pick the right one is harder then I first tought !
Get a SXS and you’ll prob never ride a dirt bike again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you for your help.
There are moral and performance questions you need to ask yourself before you focus on features.

1) Do you like wearing a mask, seeing people loose their jobs, deal with this virus at hand? Well, supporting a company like Polaris that outsources it’s jobs, to build a product that is made from cheap components that constantly fail for the main priority of profits of a few board members, by integrating it’s production with countries that do not value it’s own people to the point of slave labor, and in turn, destroys the environment to the point creating catastrophic damage to humanity and the planet, then Polaris is your product. Buying a Honda gets American jobs assembling and building the parts, and supports a country (Japan) that is now fully pulling out of China. Every Polaris should come with a flag saying I support and love communism, tear down any walls, and F*$&* the USA!

2) The other thing Is performance. From experience in racing for years, I always tell new kids on the block, put your money is suspension and handling (Chasis) over power. Honda is a billion dollar car company that nailed this down. Power is cheap and can be added later but if the package does not deliver all the Turbo power in the world, will just exploit it’s weaknesses. I’ve had friends with $50,000 X3’s jump in my Talon and come back with the biggest smile on their face. The amount of work they do to maintain that level, is insane. They all say my Honda Is so fun to drive, snappy, and gives back to the driver. Why are you buying a SXS? I’m amazed how many get an SXS with some insane flag on it, drink beer and talk about the next accessories on order, relieve all the cheap parts that fail, versus buy something just go have fun with . Granted I’m still partial to my YXZ for driving hard because it’s closer to my motocross bike, BUT I have found the Talon delivers an incredible level of fun, with amazing all around performance that out of the box I would put up against anything.

Accessories. General rule buy the basics from a dealer because the extras and aftermarket you buy direct is always cheaper and usually higher quality.

Belts.... sport SXS’s are a hybrid between a motorcycle and car racing technology, not clambering ATV’s. Putting a Belt in a SXS is about as dumb as rubber bullets in a fighter jet. It’s going to fail for what it’s intended to do, constantly. It robs performance and it’s a reminder to the lack of design and engineering a gear on gear transmission can provide. How insane you drop $20 to $35K on a product and have to baby sit temp gauges so your belt does not blow. I can NOT imagine someone on a MX track saying I could not do a 90 foot triple that lap because my belt was too warm. How this became a standard in SXS’s I will never understand . Good job Yamaha, good job Honda for employing engineers so not to repeat this weak link!

Oh here are some items from my Buddy that completly
hates is his brand new RZR turbo Pro...

1) broken driveline form bad balance - replace 3 times now has aftermarket on
2) GPS system is buggy, super slow to start up, and fails and has found an Apple IPad is more accurate and plays music
3) Had to weld frame cracks on low upper main by arms
4) Stitches have pulled out of seats so replaced seats
5) Seat belts suck so replaced with 4 point system
6) Clutch went out at 500 miles so replaced
7) Had to replace other internals with Sand Craft
8) Electrical grounds worked loose and had to reweld and tie in new grounding
9) Beadlocks leaked and are total China garbage
10) Shock bolt was stripped from factor and required replacement of entire front shock
11) Plastic panels vibrate above 60mph and had to add extra plastic tabs to stop this
12) The stock roll cage they did not clean up the welding slags on the welds and his wife cut her hand hanging on the to the roll bar
13) and finally the part I hate the most, he gets error codes and it stops all the time, and we sit in the desert and clear codes or tow it back .

21 - 40 of 86 Posts