Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not yet pulled the trigger on a new Talon. I've been trying to research all products. First, let me tell you that I am totally new to the whole SXS thing. Just want one for the wife and I to explore with when we go camping. My question to you owners is: Now that you've had your SXS for awhile, what do you wish you would have known before making the purchase? What would you do differently if you could start over? When I look at the RZR's and other brands, I see so many more features like onboard gps, ride command and winches, tailgates and bumpers, bead-lock wheels etc included in the original price. Don't get me wrong, I'm in this forum because I want a Talon. 2 things I've noticed though: 1) They seem pretty stripped down to start with, and 2) The dealers all seem to think they have to get MSRP plus almost a grand for "destination" fees, deal dock, prep (another $500) etc, etc. Kind of like there's a shortage and you can take it or leave it. Your advice is appreciated.
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm about to buy my Talon next month so I will be following your post, you have some great questions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
2019 X

100 miles

-front differential seal leaking
-right front shock had no gas from 1.5 miles
-1 open recall

-Suspension SUCKS! East coast rider - rocky trails and woods - suspension is very very harsh. Changed tender springs - that helped but nowhere close to I hate to say my RZR XP - with stock suspension that machine was actually plush.

-Machine lerches which makes throttle feel choppy at low speeds - so for woods riding the lerchy feeling is always there - very weird. Still getting used to it.

Love the fit and finish of the machine, DCT and engine combo is primo. Being able to slap a paddle because you can makes me smile ear to ear. Drove a YXZ SS and while a blast - having to shift ALL the time isn’t for me.

Sold an XP RZR for thus machine that needs $1500 worth of suspension work. I got it they all need work, but mine is brutal - feels like there are solid bars between the trailing arms and frame when going slow. It’s does get better at speed.......

I waited and wanted for the Honda - just a bummer on the suspension - maybe that’s taking away from me floating at what is probably a great machine with no belt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
First I will get my only negative out of the way and that is the drive axel seal leak issue. The suspension is stiff but has broken in more over time and I don’t really have a major issue with it.
The fit and finish is far superior to RZR and X3. The doors just go click and when your spending 20k on one of these things imo they all should have this fit and finish. It took me a bit to get used to lurching at low speed but I have it dialed in now and no lurching anymore. All my buddies have RZRs and have all been very impressed with the talon and just find the gear shifting weird as they are not used to it. The interior space from passenger to passenger and leg room is way more than a RZR. Seats are more reclined as well, not as reclined as an X3 but sufficient. Talon comes with a roof and side nets and others don’t. The other models you are comparing the Talon too for RZR and X3 cost 30k+ so if you want those goodies you can def add them. I got mine for 3k off MSRP just after Memorial Day. I know plant if up and running again so I don’t think dealers will be able to use to scarce tactic much longer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2019 X

100 miles

-1 open recall

-Suspension SUCKS! East coast rider - rocky trails and woods - suspension is very very harsh. Changed tender springs - that helped but nowhere close to I hate to say my RZR XP - with stock suspension that machine was actually plush.

-Machine lerches which makes throttle feel choppy at low speeds - so for woods riding the lerchy feeling is always there - very weird. Still getting used to it.

Love the fit and finish of the machine, DCT and engine combo is primo. Being able to slap a paddle because you can makes me smile ear to ear. Drove a YXZ SS and while a blast - having to shift ALL the time isn’t for me.

Sold an XP RZR for thus machine that needs $1500 worth of suspension work. I got it they all need work, but mine is brutal - feels like there are solid bars between the trailing arms and frame when going slow. It’s does get better at speed.......

I waited and wanted for the Honda - just a bummer on the suspension - maybe that’s taking away from me floating at what is probably a great machine with no belt.
I very much appreciate..and respect your comments. I have always loved Honda products, but what you are saying about suspension seems to be a recurring statement. Do you have the standard suspension, or Fox live valve? I've driven both (on dealer tracks) and the FLV really seemed to be an improvement (if one can make a judgement on a 1hr test ride of both models).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First I will get my only negative out of the way and that is the drive axel seal leak issue. The suspension is stiff but has broken in more over time and I don’t really have a major issue with it.
The fit and finish is far superior to RZR and X3. The doors just go click and when your spending 20k on one of these things imo they all should have this fit and finish. It took me a bit to get used to lurching at low speed but I have it dialed in now and no lurching anymore. All my buddies have RZRs and have all been very impressed with the talon and just find the gear shifting weird as they are not used to it. The interior space from passenger to passenger and leg room is way more than a RZR. Seats are more reclined as well, not as reclined as an X3 but sufficient. Talon comes with a roof and side nets and others don’t. The other models you are comparing the Talon too for RZR and X3 cost 30k+ so if you want those goodies you can def add them. I got mine for 3k off MSRP just after Memorial Day. I know plant if up and running again so I don’t think dealers will be able to use to scarce tactic much longer.
Wow! Great information! Thank you. Can you tell me specifically what model Talon you have? Your review was great! Thanks again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2020 Talon 4x1000 non live valve. Almost every time we go out someone else blows a belt that is with us , friend of friend or whatever. $150 a pop for those

·
Registered
2020 1000x 4 Live Valve
68 Posts
Hey Nogrey, Not sure what I would do differently but have a big wish list. I don’t ride to hard 😂 (wife says otherwise) but I think tender springs is next for me. I’ve kept it small money wise in these uncertain times, stereo, rear cargo gate and just finished installing a street legal kit. I have the 1000x 4 LV with 230 miles, most the miles are from wide open sand areas but have also been up to the Rocky Mountains. The LV seems to be more active in higher speeds and not much in lower speeds (rocky trails) I do not have anything leaking as a few others have had. I have had 1 bolt issue from the start on the drivers seat and finally got a whole new seat this weekend. Wasn’t a big deal but when you spend that much money you want it all perfect. I do believe since Honda is so late to the sport sxs that there will be some bugs and aftermarket stuff we will all have to be patient, good luck either way you go 🍺

·
Registered
17 Posts
love my talon. but yes suspension is a must. i choose shock therapy. there is not much i would change other than what i have done to it. if you like the dirt bike or 4 wheeler world then this is the sxs for you. if you dont want to deal with the trans shifting then you need a belt drive. but if your just doing light cursing around a camp site there are alot cheaper things that would do a fine job.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon X
27 Posts
So I have.a bit of an interesting need, I live in Northern Canada (rocks, mud, snow, lots of VERY rough terrain) but spend a month every year in Arizona. Need a machine that can do it all, and tired of Polaris' reliability issues. Never broke a belt but have been stranded in -20 weather waist deep in mud and snow a few too many times. Banking on Honda reliability on this one.

Love, love, love the DCT trans, except very jerky at low speeds when rock crawling/mud etc. Seems a bit slower than an XP1k RZR, but good torque.

Suspension seems really harsh at low speeds, like almost wondering if something is wrong.Handles high speed impacts and big bumps well though. If COVID ever ends, looking forward to some AZ time!

Oh, and the adjuster doesn't work on the drivers rear shock. Spins freely.

·
Registered
86 Posts
McCarthy - mine goes in this week and I have a free spinning low-med-high adjuster - generally this means the gas leaked out. The gas fill on these fox shocks is the same as a basketball/football rubber fill. Yah.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have not yet pulled the trigger on a new Talon. I've been trying to research all products. First, let me tell you that I am totally new to the whole SXS thing. Just want one for the wife and I to explore with when we go camping. My question to you owners is: Now that you've had your SXS for awhile, what do you wish you would have known before making the purchase? What would you do differently if you could start over? When I look at the RZR's and other brands, I see so many more features like onboard gps, ride command and winches, tailgates and bumpers, bead-lock wheels etc included in the original price. Don't get me wrong, I'm in this forum because I want a Talon. 2 things I've noticed though: 1) They seem pretty stripped down to start with, and 2) The dealers all seem to think they have to get MSRP plus almost a grand for "destination" fees, deal dock, prep (another $500) etc, etc. Kind of like there's a shortage and you can take it or leave it. Your advice is appreciated.
Thank you for your help.
You are going to have people telling you what to buy and what to do. 1st now is not a buyers market for Talons. 2nd Honda has never been one to load up their stuff with accessories to sell them. 3rd these are off-road vehicles and are not going to ride like limousines. Bottom line do what you think is best for you and the family. Don't get me wrong we have owned and still have other brands. Regular maintenance is the key.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After 15 years with Polaris products I bought a Talon earlier this year, a 2019 1000R. I found it doesn’t have as much cockpit room as the RZR, and you sit a little more upright than a RZR, but I like that, I find I am very comfortable in it.
I would say my Talon is not as fast as my last two RZRs, a 2015 and 2016, non turbos, but it seems to have more low end power, which may be the result of the transmission. Also the I4WD works much better than the 4WD system on the RZR.
The RZRs also have a much tighter turn radius, in fact I think a 4 seat RZR can turn tighter than my 2 seat Talon.
The throttle on the Talon is very touchy due to the direct link of the transmission. I usually place my foot against the center console to dampen the movement and this seems to help.
We do a lot of desert trail riding, I’m in So Cal, and sand, however we are not racers, we are 60 year olds that can’t take a beating so we’re slow and steady and a lot of sight seeing. We found for the way we ride the suspension is ridiculously harsh, it beat us up pretty bad. So I replaced the springs with an Eibach kit tailored to our riding style. Made all the difference in the world, we are very happy with the ride now.
IMHO the very first thing you should do is install good 4 or 5 point belts. Safety first!
Then set the suspension up for your riding style.
I also put 32” tires on mine which helped in the rock crawling type of riding we do occasionally.
I installed turn signals and horn to make it street legal because we visit AZ, UT, and NM where we can drive on local streets.
I also installed a car to car radio so we can talk to the others in our group. We have to wear helmets in CA so a stereo is a waste of time and money, again IMO.
I think the Talon is an excellent choice for all around riding, as long as you’re not racing, real or Wanna be. You just have to set it up for the type of riding you like to do.
Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2019 X

100 miles

-1 open recall

You are not the first one I've heard this from. Seems like they missed when designing the suspension. I like the rest of your comments about fit and finish. Love Honda quality. No doubt, someday they'll introduce a model that has the suspension figured out. All the complaints aside, would you still purchase a Talon?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Nogrey, Not sure what I would do differently but have a big wish list. I don’t ride to hard 😂 (wife says otherwise) but I think tender springs is next for me. I’ve kept it small money wise in these uncertain times, stereo, rear cargo gate and just finished installing a street legal kit. I have the 1000x 4 LV with 230 miles, most the miles are from wide open sand areas but have also been up to the Rocky Mountains. The LV seems to be more active in higher speeds and not much in lower speeds (rocky trails) I do not have anything leaking as a few others have had. I have had 1 bolt issue from the start on the drivers seat and finally got a whole new seat this weekend. Wasn’t a big deal but when you spend that much money you want it all perfect. I do believe since Honda is so late to the sport sxs that there will be some bugs and aftermarket stuff we will all have to be patient, good luck either way you go 🍺
Thanks for your honest input. Having owned so many Honda products, it's going to take a lot to make me veer away from a Talon, unless there is a glaring issue. Seems the "lurching" at low speeds and the poor suspension is a constant gripe from folks. I drove the non LV model and the LV model and felt the LV shock system was noticeably better. Of course, that was on a dealers track and a total of 30 minutes, so I in no way have a feel yet. The LV system is $3-$4K more. That's a lot for something folks are not raving about. Thank you so much for your input. Last question is: Would you still buy it knowing what you know now?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After 15 years with Polaris products I bought a Talon earlier this year, a 2019 1000R. I found it doesn’t have as much cockpit room as the RZR, and you sit a little more upright than a RZR, but I like that, I find I am very comfortable in it.
I would say my Talon is not as fast as my last two RZRs, a 2015 and 2016, non turbos, but it seems to have more low end power, which may be the result of the transmission. Also the I4WD works much better than the 4WD system on the RZR.
The RZRs also have a much tighter turn radius, in fact I think a 4 seat RZR can turn tighter than my 2 seat Talon.
The throttle on the Talon is very touchy due to the direct link of the transmission. I usually place my foot against the center console to dampen the movement and this seems to help.
We do a lot of desert trail riding, I’m in So Cal, and sand, however we are not racers, we are 60 year olds that can’t take a beating so we’re slow and steady and a lot of sight seeing. We found for the way we ride the suspension is ridiculously harsh, it beat us up pretty bad. So I replaced the springs with an Eibach kit tailored to our riding style. Made all the difference in the world, we are very happy with the ride now.
IMHO the very first thing you should do is install good 4 or 5 point belts. Safety first!
Then set the suspension up for your riding style.
I also put 32” tires on mine which helped in the rock crawling type of riding we do occasionally.
I installed turn signals and horn to make it street legal because we visit AZ, UT, and NM where we can drive on local streets.
I also installed a car to car radio so we can talk to the others in our group. We have to wear helmets in CA so a stereo is a waste of time and money, again IMO.
I think the Talon is an excellent choice for all around riding, as long as you’re not racing, real or Wanna be. You just have to set it up for the type of riding you like to do.
Good luck!
I am 62 years old but have spent my life trailing in the Arizona and Idaho deserts. What you do seems to be about our speed, so your input is very valuable and very much appreciated. Thank you for that. I guess I can just about count on having the shocks re-worked. That sucks. But I very much like Honda quality and reliability. Still have not purchased one. Waiting for a deal, and they seem to be few and far between.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too would buy it again. All vehicles used for specialized purposes have to be “adjusted” for their drivers. So you have to do some fine tuning no matter what vehicle you by.
BTW, I did not rework my shocks, I just changed the springs. I run the shocks on #1 and it works great for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello,
I wanted to go ahead and chime in as I too am fairly new into the SXS sport. I love it, its super addicting, and better than owning a sports car for sure.I bought my first YXZ in December and now I am about to purchase my second 4 seater Talon. My first talon got totaled just over a month ago, I lent it to a buddy and the tire came off the bead and flipped on it side at good speed. The talon is great and so much that im willing to buy it again. Now with that said I owned a 2020 live valve x4. I def recommend the live valve, I haven't driven a base model but I will own one soon (only because im getting a good deal on a used one). you really feel the live valve difference and you can sense it activating. I also read a ton about complain of how stiff the ride is but I never complained myself. I think for a few reasons I never felt the internet stiffness; Livevalve being number 1, it being a 4 seater keeps the rear suspension further away from your back, and I haven't own a Polaris or can am so I wouldn't know how those ride. I def recommend a 4 seater over the 2 seater as talon do flip easily and the 4 seater just seems a little better balanced than the 2.

Now onto purchasing, I've been in the market for over a month and have not been able to find a good deal, actually in florida they aren't any 4 seaters at all. I paid 22,300 out the door for my livevalve 2020 x4 at the peak of the pandemic. It seems more and more people have gotten into the sport and spending more time off road and they quickly became a hot commodity. Dealers couldn't restock inventory and I was getting quoted 26,450 for the same unit, which isn't even available anymore. I doubt ill ever get the same deal again to be honest.

My advice to you is to just wait as the new 2021 models are just starting to arrive at dealers and try to pay as close to msrp out the door if possible. Put some money away as the hobby can get expensive quick. The stock tires are terrible and youre gonna want some 30 inchers pretty soon into ownership. Get a snorkel or look into the Uni prefilter mod to save your air filter. Make sure to always get the gear shifter in the right location in high, reverse, and low before giving it any gas. The low gear can give trouble but it never gave me trouble as long as I placed the gear selector all the way down and waiting for the L to display on the cluster. Lastly do lots and lots of research on your accessories, I don't think I can even recommend any Honda accessories and they are many options to make it easier for you and cheaper. XTC power products makes a great bus bar and switch panel to starting anything electrical. NOAM Audio is very inexpensive with great sound quality which tops the Honda OEM SSV works junk radio. KFI makes a great winch plate for only $80. Do your research and it will pay off.

I hope the dealers get real with their pricing sooner than later and that you can start enjoying this fun hobby. Honda quality is all there, I loved my Yamaha but Honda just takes it to the next level. Its not perfect but in my opinion its the best all around unit on the market. Thank you for reading, I hope this was helpful.

I am 62 years old but have spent my life trailing in the Arizona and Idaho deserts. What you do seems to be about our speed, so your input is very valuable and very much appreciated. Thank you for that. I guess I can just about count on having the shocks re-worked. That sucks. But I very much like Honda quality and reliability. Still have not purchased one. Waiting for a deal, and they seem to be few and far between.

·
Registered
20 Posts
By the way I put 2300 miles on my YXZ since December and 900 miles on my talon in 2 months. I always pushed them both to the limits

1 - 20 of 65 Posts