Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 1000x 4 Live Valve
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey brothers, so I’ve been thinking about safety. First aid kit and fire extinguishers. Was curious if anyone had installed a fire extinguisher that doesn’t rattle and are super happy with. I hope you didn’t have to use it but if you did??? How well did it work? I searched for this discussion and found only suppliers advertising. If I’ve missed the boat on this discussion please direct me to it. Thanks 🙏

·
Registered
2020 Talon X4 Live Valve
35 Posts
I have 2. It was buy one get one at Lowes. Then I bought a mounting bracket off Amazon Amazon.com: MFC Adjustable Roll Bar Mount Bottle Holder Fit for Jeep Wrangler TJ JK JKU JL UTV Polaris RZR Ranger,Aluminum I put one in the gap between the door and drivers seat. The other is on the back of my cage. I have never had to use it but growing up wheeling and also living in AZ where a extinguisher is required. I have always had one in every rig. They are a good idea to have. You never know when something may come up that you could use it to help others or yourself.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Extinguishers are fine for a little fire but if you encounter a SxS on fire, I suggest you simply get everyone out and RUN LIKE HELL. No little fire extinguisher (or 5 in the case below) is going to do squat if your machine catches fire...

The attempts to put this out were completely futile, all we could do is watch it burn and explode. It got so hot, it melted the wheels and the sand underneath it...

·
Registered
305 Posts

I started looking for fire extinguishers, but the good looking billet racks and extinguisher were expensive and I kept asking guys who had the various brands if they rattle. One guy finally suggested element. I checked it out and it’s great. Low weight, easy mount, no rattle, easy to use, no expiration. I bought three, one for the 5th wheel, Talon and airplane. If you use it, no mess afterwards. Watch the video with engine fire.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I carry one with rubber straps, didn't want a mechanical system that usually rattle (based on reviews) or to get jammed up with the endless mud here on the east coast. Fire extinguisher is from lowes, etc. Just in case there is a small incipient fire that can be put out before a total loss. Agree, if its fuel related, just walk away, ask for a cold one, take some pics and call the insurance company.

I always wondered if any of these are fuel carrying related as the spare tanks are usually mounted above the hot engine\exhaust systems.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I carry two extinguishers.
One is a standard 2-1/2 lb. ABC type mounted on the roll bar behind me on the drivers side in a TEK208 mount for quick acquisition and deployment. I think it has about a 10 second duration of spray. Although a good unit I'm a little uncomfortable with the 10 second limit.
On the passenger side roll bar I carry an ELEMENT in two AXIA alloy all purpose mounts. This is not nearly as quick for deployment because of the process to get it started but it will spray for 100 seconds. It's also quite small.
I've never had to pull a fire extinguisher but with the combination of both I feel comfortable with the quick one and the long one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts