Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Currently running a light bar, rear lights, winch, intercom, and i am usually charging something in the acc port.
Thinking about adding a second battery but not sure i need it. I will be adding whips, and rock lights. I'm wondering if they will put me over the limit if one battery.
Maybe at night, but don't do a lot of night riding at this time.

· Registered
73 Posts
I am Currently running a light bar, rear lights, winch, intercom, and i am usually charging something in the acc port.
Thinking about adding a second battery but not sure i need it. I will be adding whips, and rock lights. I'm wondering if they will put me over the limit if one battery.
Maybe at night, but don't do a lot of night riding at this time.
I have not added a second battery - yet. I have already added whip lights, and an S&B particle separator, but I also have a Honda winch and Honda light bar from the factory. My approach is to keep the original battery for the stock setup (no accessories). This would mean putting just about all the accessories on the second battery. I haven't decided if I will leave the winch wired as it came from Honda (I have an SE which comes with the winch already installed). My thought is that I would keep the two systems separate so the accessories do not affect the loads placed on the stock batter/electrical system, that way the accessories do not affect the performance of the machine when I am out on a drive.

· Registered
19 Posts
I have not added a second battery - yet. I have already added whip lights, and an S&B particle separator, but I also have a Honda winch and Honda light bar from the factory. My approach is to keep the original battery for the stock setup (no accessories). This would mean putting just about all the accessories on the second battery. I haven't decided if I will leave the winch wired as it came from Honda (I have an SE which comes with the winch already installed). My thought is that I would keep the two systems separate so the accessories do not affect the loads placed on the stock batter/electrical system, that way the accessories do not affect the performance of the machine when I am out on a drive.
How do you plan to keep them separate?

· Registered
404 Posts
Use one of these smart isolators. It charges both batteries but if the voltage drops too low, it disconnects the second battery and charges the main until the voltage returns to normal to make sure your starting battery is always charged and then connects and starts charging the second battery. Stock item plus the particle separator on the stock battery. All additional accessories (all kinds of lights, Rugged Radio, Winch, heated seats, tablet/nav) running off the second battery with 15 minute Retained Accessory Power (all accessories stay on for 15 minutes after the ignition is turned off or I can manually turn them off/on when I want).

I have mine separated this way for almost 2 years and it works flawlessly.

· Registered
73 Posts
I have all of the accessories wired thru a single source which is then routed thru a fuse block and relays. When I add the second battery that single source will be hooked to the new battery Which will be tied to the existing system via an isolator. Pretty much like mentioned above, but I only plan to have it all energized thru the ignition switch...

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use one of these smart isolators. It charges both batteries but if the voltage drops too low, it disconnects the second battery and charges the main until the voltage returns to normal to make sure your starting battery is always charged and then connects and starts charging the second battery. Stock item plus the particle separator on the stock battery. All additional accessories (all kinds of lights, Rugged Radio, Winch, heated seats, tablet/nav) running off the second battery with 15 minute Retained Accessory Power (all accessories stay on for 15 minutes after the ignition is turned off or I can manually turn them off/on when I want).

I have mine separated this way for almost 2 years and it works flawlessly.

That would be my plan as well.
Which isolator do you have?

· Registered
19 Posts
Just keep in mind that your Talon has a 58amp charging system and with lights, S & B, whips, and especially a winch you can easily draw more power than the talon can make. A rugged radio draws between 4 & 7 amps alone when transmitting. IMO unless you don’t add any accessories you should invest in a second 30amp/hr battery and an isolator. It’s a great safety investment to make sure you get home!!

· Registered
404 Posts
That would be my plan as well.
Which isolator do you have?
The isolators I linked to are the same, just different kits and some lithium kits. I already had wire and connectors so I used the basic one and wired everything myself. If you need cables/wiring and want volt meters, get the fancy kit or you can choose something in-between...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.