Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you are up to the frame in heavy mud it helps to have a little more. In any case don't leave home without one!
Everglades annual run was a challenge managed to snap a cable had spare thank goodness 10 tree pules later on land!!

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The Everglades was a true challenge and the I am so glad I had the 5K one and the extra cable is a must. So glad I hade it when the original broke and already have a new backup.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My two cents o
For Honda Talon 1000 X what size wench do you recommend. Any specific accessories I should look for.? What do is your opinion of the Warn Axon 35 S? Any thoughts on steel vs synthetic rope? All opinions are welcome. I tend to ride in a lot of mud and water and was quite lucky last weekend.

View attachment 185
My 2 cents on a Winch after 3 months of use. Buy a WARN! I bought a Black Ops 4500 SuperATV and SuperATV Winch Mounting plate. I got a great deal, but overall it’s very disappointing . The motor is loud and clunky. The synthetic rope quality is total China garbage and the lead nylon fabric is too long cheap and catches due to the poor design of the housing. The mounting plate was a joke and designed by a machinist in China not an Engineer. They wiring leads are sloppy and the instructions look they were made on Word Perfect on a first generation Windows machine and printed on your grandmas inject printer. WTF? They did not even provide Grade 8 bolts, so my mini Dewalt sheered 2 bolts on the assembly. It’s a Honda, buy quality, buy a WARN. I will NOT make this mistake again.

·
Vendor
161 Posts
There are quite a few bold claims in there. Sorry you had such difficulty with the instructions and didn't like the mounting plate, but its all done right here, and made to fit as good as possible into the frame space provided. As for winch quality, try opening them both up and finding a difference. Along with any other top end winch on the market.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are quite a few bold claims in there. Sorry you had such difficulty with the instructions and didn't like the mounting plate, but its all done right here, and made to fit as good as possible into the frame space provided. As for winch quality, try opening them both up and finding a difference. Along with any other top end winch on the market.
Overall it works for the price, but packaging, lack of industrial design (looks like it goes on a 1975 jeep), fit and finish, cheap bolts, machine burrs left in threads, assembly instructions, sell out to China materials , cheapness of the nylon sleeve, wiring cable quality; it all adds up, and clearly many of those things are not important to people over cost. Honestly, at the time it was not a big deal, but I had owned WARN products in the past so I noticed this stuff. Plus, how many times do people really need to use a winch? However, I would have very much appreciated someone telling me this, so I could have evaluated things beyond just a price point. I went for a price point this time, I won't next time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the Moto Alliance Viper 4500 wide spool. I use it to winch in & out of my trailer every time I load / unload. Been using this brand for 4 years and I did have 1 issue this year with the dog that releases to free spool coming out, but not sure why (may not have gotten turned enough). They warrantied it right away and going great since. I use their top of the line version that is water proof with Synthetic line and remote so that may help.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Always a plus when all of the group you ride with have an operational winch, makes you a bit more daring. Make sure you have a spare winch cable, tow cable, hooks, gloves, tree savers ... There are times when I wish I had a chain saw as well:unsure:

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update, one of the friends I ride with picked up an electric chain saw. He already had a winch! Could have used that in the Everglades a couple of times. Oh well, saved a tree or two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello

I bought a champion 4500 comes with wireless remote and steel cable. I’m a cheap a**. Lol. Works great only downfall I have is the cable is only 38’ I just take extra rope with me. Any warn is a great choice. But the champion is on Aniston for$166. As opposed to 4-600. Just my two sense. Happy riding.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts