Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else race their Talon? If so, let me know! I would like to chat with other Talon racers and know what's working for you, and how you're doing. This past Saturday we raced in our second off road race with Southwest Texas Off Road Racing (STORR) in El Paso TX. We placed second in our class! I love the Talon and how tough it is. It just seems to never quit and even though we don't have the R, it's still very capable in the desert. I did tune the rear shocks a bit before this race was able to take out some of the relentless bucking most of us deal with on the stock shocks. I loosened the tender spring nut about an inch and half and raised the crossover rings almost all the way up to get more travel and use out of the stock tenders. Then added a spare tire mount with the tire and wheel on the rear. That all seemed to help a lot. I tested the Talon without the spare tire and immediately noticed an improvement in the bucking after taking some tension out of the stock tenders. The added weight of the tire helped even more. We only lost 3/4 inch of ride height in the rear after backing some tension off. I would say that's a good trade. Needless to say, an upgrade is still in our future for the suspension.

We had two close calls during the race. One was due to an intersection that didn't look troublesome during the pre run, but at 60mph certainly was. The second was an unexpected whoop that the front wheels gapped, but the back did not. This caused the rear to compress and rebound aggressively as it cleared the second whoop. Both times we managed to keep the UTV on it's wheels. Then we accidently killed a mesquite tree :D. We were dusted pretty bad and I overshot the turn slightly. All in all it was a fun race. Check the video in the link to see the close calls and our Talon!

STORR El Paso 200

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does anyone else race their Talon? If so, let me know! I would like to chat with other Talon racers and know what's working for you, and how you're doing. This past Saturday we raced in our second off road race with Southwest Texas Off Road Racing (STORR) in El Paso TX. We placed second in our class! I love the Talon and how tough it is. It just seems to never quit and even though we don't have the R, it's still very capable in the desert. I did tune the rear shocks a bit before this race was able to take out some of the relentless bucking most of us deal with on the stock shocks. I loosened the tender spring nut about an inch and half and raised the crossover rings almost all the way up to get more travel and use out of the stock tenders. Then added a spare tire mount with the tire and wheel on the rear. That all seemed to help a lot. I tested the Talon without the spare tire and immediately noticed an improvement in the bucking after taking some tension out of the stock tenders. The added weight of the tire helped even more. We only lost 3/4 inch of ride height in the rear after backing some tension off. I would say that's a good trade. Needless to say, an upgrade is still in our future for the suspension.

We had two close calls during the race. One was due to an intersection that didn't look troublesome during the pre run, but at 60mph certainly was. The second was an unexpected whoop that the front wheels gapped, but the back did not. This caused the rear to compress and rebound aggressively as it cleared the second whoop. Both times we managed to keep the UTV on it's wheels. Then we accidently killed a mesquite tree :D. We were dusted pretty bad and I overshot the turn slightly. All in all it was a fun race. Check the video in the link to see the close calls and our Talon!

STORR El Paso 200
That's awesome! Is there some Raceco upgraded parts in your future?

It's all pipe dreams for me but I'd love to try to run Ultra4 races/KOH in a built X4.

I hope Honda takes notice of all the accomplishments of the Honda factory team, Raceco, Sewell Racing, the short track guys like Slowpoke etc. Racing success = brand success. Develop the Talon program to be competitive with RZR and Canam at every level.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's awesome! Is there some Raceco upgraded parts in your future?

It's all pipe dreams for me but I'd love to try to run Ultra4 races/KOH in a built X4.

I hope Honda takes notice of all the accomplishments of the Honda factory team, Raceco, Sewell Racing, the short track guys like Slowpoke etc. Racing success = brand success. Develop the Talon program to be competitive with RZR and Canam at every level.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Yes I do plan on getting some parts from RaceCo. I've been waiting for the website to come back up so I poke around. I've only learned about that company roughly a month ago so still new to me. Long travel suspension is something I would love to get from them though. I hope Honda takes notice too. We love the Talon and it's very durable. There were other UTV's that broke on the first lap. We had a pretty rough race and it didn't seem to skip a beat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts