Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't know how deep it will go, but mine has been up to the steering wheel, (NOT ON PURPOSE) and it was fine. The intake is just above the top of the doors.
The question is why would you want to swim it that deep anyway????
I sunk mine in a mud hole in the pouring rain, i don't know how, but we got it to walk out in reverse. I was impressed, but won't do it again.
I spent two days dissembling the machine to get all the sand and mud out of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know how deep it will go, but mine has been up to the steering wheel, (NOT ON PURPOSE) and it was fine. The intake is just above the top of the doors.
The question is why would you want to swim it that deep anyway????
I sunk mine in a mud hole in the pouring rain, i don't know how, but we got it to walk out in reverse. I was impressed, but won't do it again.
I spent two days dissembling the machine to get all the sand and mud out of it.
Thanks!! Not planning on getting that deep but got into some water last week, nothing that deep, and was just wondering for future reference.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Water gremlins thrive in water over 18 inches deep, so if you go deeper you may end up with a whole nest of water gremlins in your machine, motor and transmission. If you need to go deeper, get a boat! ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Water gremlins thrive in water over 18 inches deep, so if you go deeper you may end up with a whole nest of water gremlins in your machine, motor and transmission. If you need to go deeper, get a boat! ;)
That's Funny, I agree. I think that way they call it an off ROAD vehicle and not a boat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I asked my dealer how deep of water I can go through and he looked at me and said “ I’m going to pretend you didn’t ask me that “
Which I thought was odd because even car dealers will tell you how deep of water they can go through

I have almost 5000 miles on my Talon x2 nlv
And have had it in lots of water,
The intake of course is priority to keep above water,
The second concern is the vent for the gas tank,
If you are in water for to long running then it will eventually get into the gas, I put a catch can on my vent and moved it higher,
The other concern is the oil,
The motor is vented into the intake,
But the gear box and differentials are vented into the frame so when you go into deeper water,
The nice warm oil when under water cools off and makes a vacuum and try’s to suck in the water,
I haven’t had any issues with this but I change all oils every 1200 miles,
A friend of mine was changing the differentials at the service times and had moisture in them

my only other concern with water is the back pressure on the exhaust, you have to keep a higher idle to keep it running,
The stock exhaust is designed to help keep water out that’s why it is turned down,
I would never think of going in deep water with an after market exhaust that doesn’t turn down,
If the motor dies,
Water is going all the way into it,

in general the machine will probably be more comfortable going deeper than you will lol

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
167 Posts
I can't recall what the owner's manual states, but I measured it and basically it was to the bottom of my skid plate the way I have mine set up. I did a not to deep and not to fast water crossing recently, and my power steering failed for the rest of the day. Next day the failure was intermittent, but after that never happened again. Shorted out some connection I presume.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.