Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so recently i was out riding and noticed a bit of valve noise, more than when i broke the valve tappet. so i removed the valve cover and found nothing wrong. the sound is very loud clanging in the what seems to be the head or valve train. removed cam inspected every thing and found nothing. did a fresh valve adjustment. still does it. removed oil filter, nothing in it. removed oil pan and checked every thing out. looks good from what you can see on one of these.

so im hoping for paul to chime in on this. i have a theory, any of you guys that have removed your valve cover and when you move it around you can hear a clunk in it. there is a big ball bearing being used like a pvc valve in it. if i was to have some blowby could that ball bearing be rattling around making my noise? im really running out of ideas, the valve train is all perfect including the chain. pistons look good from underneath. didnt want to pull my head but i do have a little blowby and dont know how much before i should be concerned.. btw not surprised by a little blowby. i can feel it coming out of the tube on the valve cover at idle and if i rev it a little the noise goes away.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so the answer is yes. if you have alot of blow by you can get some noise from the pvc ball in the valve cover. but i found that when i removed the ball and ran it there was still a noise in it, was very faint but not normal. upon further digging i found one of the rockers on #1 cylinder for the exhaust valve was messed up. the pin that holds the roller on was lose. removed it with my fingers. the decompresor was hitting on the pin. so the last valve tappet that broke was on this rocker, there was more damage than i saw the first time in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is great information, I think I may have an issue like this and someone can help. A little back ground first, Talon has a little over a 1000 miles, all the services has been completed and then some. I was riding this past weekend, and it ran like a boss. We got on the road for a min to get to another trail, at 45 to 50mph in 5th and 6th gear and low rpms, it has a really bad rattle. all the lower gears sounded fine. Even high rpms in 5th gear was good, never got to high rpms in 6th gear. So it just rattles really bad in 5th and 6th gear low rpms. Any advice on what to check?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would need to hear it. cant really tell from typing. these machines make alot of noises, especially after they are broke in. witch can be alot of miles depending how it is ridden

1 - 6 of 6 Posts