Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of upgrading from a basic 2019 Honda Talon 1000 X to a 2020 Honda Talon R live valve? Please provide your pros and cons. Right now the prices are good at some dealers. Me I am staring with my X still working on getting portals to go with the IGR.

Thanks
:cool:

·
Registered
2020 Talon 1000x4
27 Posts
PRO new bike
CON loose all labor on your x
more debt
take hit on value
have to swap parts
your control arms wont match width of R
live valve has only two adjustments(way it is on 1000x4)

I see alot of cons...but im a such a happy go fella haha

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please help with this as it will truly help a friend who is wrestling with the decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone Talon SXS (not a member here) decided to keep his X and use the price of upgrading to a R or Live Valve R to improve his ride.

Me I just ordered the 4 inch portals so I will be up 4 inches this weekend. Now for bigger tires -- :cool:

·
Registered
2020 Talon 1000x4
27 Posts
Thanks everyone Talon SXS (not a member here) decided to keep his X and use the price of upgrading to a R or Live Valve R to improve his ride.

Me I just ordered the 4 inch portals so I will be up 4 inches this weekend. Now for bigger tires -- :cool:
I heard from 1 account the Weller respring/revalve was worth the coin. The x4 is so stiff...id hate to imagine a 2 seater. $1240 is alot of $. But I'd pay it to be like riding on a cloud lol

·
Registered
2020 Talon 1000r Turbo
16 Posts
I also toyed around with getting the 2020 or waiting for the 2021. I decided that the Live Valve wasn't worth it, but the lauch control might have been. So I got a 2020 and added the turbo and then sent my shocks to shock therapy to get a revalve. Then, add the launch control. So basically saved me ~$4k lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would contact an aftermarket suspension builder before I would spend money on standard Honda Parts to upgrade to Live Valve. If you watch any Professional Motocross, Snowcross, Baja Racing and any of this type of Powersports you will see that the suspensions are custom not factory. Im not saying the Live Valve is no good, I'm just saying if you have a standard suspension if you want to upgrade go aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi jmekeel, you are spot on in motorsports what you watch on Saturday may have a shell that looks like a particular car or motorbike but in reality what’s under it is not the same. Nothing like a four link and weight measurements on all four corners to help drag racers. I hate to think what a NASCAR suspension would cost. I had a one-off setup for a hill climb car and you would not like it all it -- was metal to metal throughout the suspension but boy did it hug the track. And the price for the suspension parts does not include the most important part -- setting it up. Heck I had 6 different springs for each corner, and it took a lot of work just to set up for one run. Our OEM dampers do the job and there are many ways to set them up to your liking. My talon has just three adjustments but for what it was meant for it is OK. All depends on what you want. If it is to run over hoops and not feel a thing … All boils down to personal preferences, unless your in a competition! Keep riding and do be safe and smile a lot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What do you think of upgrading from a basic 2019 Honda Talon 1000 X to a 2020 Honda Talon R live valve? Please provide your pros and cons. Right now the prices are good at some dealers. Me I am staring with my X still working on getting portals to go with the IGR.

Thanks
Yes there great, learning from experience. Buy a frame stiffener kit from super atv.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I may be the lone voice out there, hell yeah! The R out of the box is an amazing ride, far better than the X. The live valve, similar to Polaris Dynamix, well you won't believe the difference. The wife says no on a new one....but when available I am totally upgrading my R to the live valve. You will be able corner with little or no body roll, heading for a bad ditch, hit the brakes, front shocks go to max..roll right on through. Now I haven't ridden the Live Valve, just the Dynamix, it if it is even close...buddy you will be amazed.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Thanks
The stock X suspension was just way to stiff for the kind of rough rocky trail riding I do 90% of the time, even on its softest setting mama was not happy! So I scrapped my X suspension and bought the full Shock Therapy system configured based on all the details I could provide them about my machine and riding type. I wish I could provide better feedback about the results, but I haven't had the chance yet to take it out and see how it performs. However, I can tell you that its a world of difference when just compressing the suspension by hand. Where before I could hardly budge the suspension with all my weight, now I can make it squat. I'm a little concerned that It might be too soft, but it dies retain its 3 position adjustment, so I hope it can be adjusted to work well in most situations. I think the cost with all the shipping back and forth and everything was around $1500.
I would assume the Live Valve may be a better all around suspension and obviously responds to changes in riding style and terrain on the fly without having to adjust the shocks manually when the terrain or riding style changes, but I would imagine converting the X to the Live Wire will be pretty darn expensive!
If you ride in constantly changing terrain then it might be worth it, but if most of your riding is consistent in terrain and style, then you might be better off just getting some place like Shock Therapy or Weller to dial in your suspension for your machine and your riding style. Last I heard, Weller hadn't developed anything for the X yet.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hay TalonSxs I know you are out there reading every post. Come on in and join the forum we are a bunch of Talon owners and I promise we do not bite. If so, just barely a nibble. Join in the discussions you will have a ball and it is free! Ride safe and do have fun!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts