Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the BVC pre filter system on order, but while waiting for it I threw on a UNI Pod Filter (UP-6300AST). (It goes on the air intake, inside the lower airbox.) The filter material is pretty dense, so I was expecting some decrease in performance, but can't perceive any! I have to say that I did leave off the red pre-filter (too bulky), and I oiled it with engine oil, not the super gooey (restrictive) filter oil that you get from UNI or Maxima. The downside of this system is that you have to disassemble the airbox to get to it, and the dirt collects on the inside of the filter (which is grey and doesn't show the dirt well). But, if you have more time than money and want a simple inexpensive airbox upgrade, this does work well.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more thing, I removed the wire spring insert. This is intended to keep the filter from collapsing when air is coming into the filter, but in this case the air is coming out backward, so I don't see any point in using it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the BVC pre filter system on order, but while waiting for it I threw on a UNI Pod Filter (UP-6300AST). (It goes on the air intake, inside the lower airbox.) The filter material is pretty dense, so I was expecting some decrease in performance, but can't perceive any! I have to say that I did leave off the red pre-filter (too bulky), and I oiled it with engine oil, not the super gooey (restrictive) filter oil that you get from UNI or Maxima. The downside of this system is that you have to disassemble the airbox to get to it, and the dirt collects on the inside of the filter (which is grey and doesn't show the dirt well). But, if you have more time than money and want a simple inexpensive airbox upgrade, this does work well.
I installed one immediately before any use. transported it to phoenix area and put on 900+ miles this winter. ( I'm a snowbird from Illinois where you can't ride sxs) on second maintenance I removed and cleaned it well, re-oiled and installed. The original honda air filter was very clean and did not need replacing. Also the interior of the airbox was clean. This filter really works and I haven't noticed any power loss.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve been after this problem for a while. I put the Uni filter in the airbox as many have. But thinking about opening the air box each time (and disturbing the gasket) to clean the Uni led me to another idea. I cut off the snorkel, leaving all the intake warts on the pipe intact. Then I added another Uni filter where the snorkel had been cut off. I’m able to pull this filter out through the grille, thereby avoiding messing with the air box.

If you look through the grille, you can see lots of openings to the outside by the rear wheel. I closed the big ones of these openings off with thin sheet metal and silicone sealant, and the small ones with Gorilla Tape. Now almost all the air comes in through the grille 4 feet off the ground where the air is far cleaner!

When I pulled this filter after several hundred miles of Arizona desert riding, the filter had some dirt, but could easily go another several hundred miles. If you don’t close the openings, this filter gets dirty quickly.

The other Uni filter in the air box was very slightly dirty. Most significant was the absence of any dust inside the air box.

I told my tech about this and he one-upped me as usual. On another Talon, he cut a hole through the side of the bed which allows EASY checking or cleaning of the filter. He made a cover out of similar material from Amazon and secured it with pushpins. Done!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve been after this problem for a while. I put the Uni filter in the airbox as many have. But thinking about opening the air box each time (and disturbing the gasket) to clean the Uni led me to another idea. I cut off the snorkel, leaving all the intake warts on the pipe intact. Then I added another Uni filter where the snorkel had been cut off. I’m able to pull this filter out through the grille, thereby avoiding messing with the air box.

If you look through the grille, you can see lots of openings to the outside by the rear wheel. I closed the big ones of these openings off with thin sheet metal and silicone sealant, and the small ones with Gorilla Tape. Now almost all the air comes in through the grille 4 feet off the ground where the air is far cleaner!

When I pulled this filter after several hundred miles of Arizona desert riding, the filter had some dirt, but could easily go another several hundred miles. If you don’t close the openings, this filter gets dirty quickly.

The other Uni filter in the air box was very slightly dirty. Most significant was the absence of any dust inside the air box.

I told my tech about this and he one-upped me as usual. On another Talon, he cut a hole through the side of the bed which allows EASY checking or cleaning of the filter. He made a cover out of similar material from Amazon and secured it with pushpins. Done!

A photo for above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Two other nits. First, the machine pulls all the way to the speed limiter, so there’s no performance impact. I didn’t time it, but it did it easily (again) between two stop lights.

Second, my tech and I have noticed a very little grit on the surface the OEM filter mounts to. Since it was not particularly next to the OEM filter, we’ve concluded its being pulled through the air cleaner housing gasket. I mentioned using Scotch 33 vinyl tape across the joint between the snap latches. My tech suggested Scotch 35 which has a higher temperature range. Tape I got is orange.

Haven’t done the tape thing yet, but see no reason not to. Might be some adhesive left, but Goof-Off solves that.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had an issue with air being pulled through the airbox LID gasket (with or without the pod filter in place). The lid just does not mate perfectly to the airbox! I gooped the gasket up real good with white lithium grease, and it is easy to see the area where it gets sucked in (bottom left side where it curves). I am returning it to the dealer next week on warranty, and asking Honda for a completely new airbox. The tape idea is interesting, but don't let a piece of it go astray and end up in the throttle body....

·
Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
45 Posts
This is working very well for me. I have two pre filters, and change them out after two or three rides while washing the one I take off. I also have a R2C filter in the air box which hardly gets dirty since putting the pre filter on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts