Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question that some of you with the Uni-offset 'pre' filter set-up might have some thoughts on. I bought the Uni-offset filter to make my stock filter less prone to early failure. So I got to thinking: the Uni-filter is designed to draw air thru the filter from the outside of the filter, and we are using it to draw the air thru the inside of the filter. Do you think the filter will be just as efficient drawing the air thru the inside, capturing the dust inside the filter instead of the outside? From the reports posted by the folks using the Uni-offset pre filter setup it seems to be working, but is it totally efficient- say 100%?
Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Filtering capabilities will be less than the unit was designed for for 2 reasons.

1.) The surface area on the inside of the filter is less than the outside so it will have less surface area to get dirty before it actually starts effecting flow.
2.) Unless you scrunch it up and shove it into the interior of the filter, the removable porus outer part of the filter is useless.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Randman, I was sure there was some type of downside running the air backwards thru the filter but was not sure how much. I will not use the foam sock over the filter, and we don't drive fast or hard so I hope the Uni-filter will help preserve the life of the stock filter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You're welcome!

Be sure to oil the filter completely inside and out like it was designed to be oiled or all it will catch is large particles. The fine dust will make its way through an improperly oiled filter, right into the large stock filter.

I've seen people only oil the inside which won't catch all of the fine dust.

Rand

·
Registered
146 Posts
Be sure to remove the red outer foam it won’t be necessary.
I ran 0-60 times with a dirty filter (two long rides) and then a clean filter and there was zero difference in times. But you have to keep it clean which is a pain!

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
184 Posts
Ran the UNI for a while before I got the BVC Kit. The big downside is that you have to take the box apart to inspect the filter. I would opt for something on the outside where you can see it, and change it more readily.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ran the UNI for a while before I got the BVC Kit. The big downside is that you have to take the box apart to inspect the filter. I would opt for something on the outside where you can see it, and change it more readily.

I agree 100% having to check inside is a pain, putting the pre-filter on the outside makes it a breeze and if you buy two you can swap them out in about a minute When they are on the outside!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I originally started out with the pre-filter on the inside (I even have a YouTube video on it) but if you do this you will quickly find out that having to open up the complete Airbox after a couple rides is a pain in the A$$. So I decided to move it to the outside and it’s so much easier now.
here is a video I made about the process.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I originally started out with the pre-filter on the inside (I even have a YouTube video on it) but if you do this you will quickly find out that having to open up the complete Airbox after a couple rides is a pain in the A$$. So I decided to move it to the outside and it’s so much easier now.
here is a video I made about the process.
The video works, not sure why is says it’s blocked? Just click on “watch on YouTube “

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.