Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. i just registered as new and thank you for all the information available to everyone on this site . i've been devouring it. the desert and mountains around here are as awesome on four wheels as on 4 legs! and a lot more horsepower for sure!

the machine has been trouble-free so far. at the 100 mile service i switched out the stock wheels/tires for these in the pictures: 4 wheels pro armor 15 x7 with BFG Mud-Terrain T/A Baja 32x10.00 R15 NHS. i have them at 10 psi right now. this change has resulted in the front end width being about 2" wider than the rear, about 69" front, 67" rear, rough measurement, vs. 68.4" front and rear stock. it seems to handle just fine, but should it have spacers to equalize that width? any benefit/worry as to parts wear as well as performance either way? thanks for any thoughts, i'm a total novice in the sxs world. i'm driving to wy tonight for christmas so will be offline for a couple of days.
View attachment 1778 View attachment 1779

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just arrived wy, 15 hr ride w/wife,3 dogs and 1 mule. weather cooperated.

thanks for the info. i grew up in ct and know n.e. trails. the r must be limiting for sure. out here there's open space and generally a workaround for a dead end. nice rig. i'll definitely end up with whatever spacer turns out to be correct for these wheels, as it doesn't look just 'right' as is.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have 14x7 5+2 wheels with 32s and the 1.5" on each side put me where I needed to be. I forget my widths but it's pretty damned wide. It's great in the west where things are more open but here on the east coast it can be tight fitting through our trails.
I thought I read that some 14" wheels rubbed. And being new here also, why would you go from 15" to 14" wheels? My learning curve.

·
Registered
185 Posts
At the time I bought them there seemed to be more tire options in 14". The trend seems to be leaning toward 15" now but I don't see a reason to change. I like how mine look, ride, and handle. With the beadlocks and 32s I can air way down when I need to and usually never have more than 11psi and they help smooth out the stiff ride a bit.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
167 Posts
I have a similar setup, with 30" KM3's on 15X7" rims and 1.5" wheel spacers in the back. The front IS slightly wider than the rear, but I don't notice that it has any adverse effects. I thought of running 2" spacers out back instead of 1.5", but long spacers can be hard on bearings. The factory desert race team runs 1.5".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks. i'd heard/read that about bearing wear also. guess i'll run this way for a bit. definitely smoother ride, and 've been running 10 psi all around. i read some with beads run at 8 or 5 for sand/rock. and i thought 20 for mtn bike tires seemed pushing it....:unsure:

·
Registered
185 Posts
In my experience, 8-10 psi is great offroad at slower speeds but it gets wonky on hard pack dirt roads above about 40mph. I'm sure all tires are different but mine seem to have the best overall performance for mixed riding (roads, rocks, mud, snow) at around at 11-12psi. I have 32x10 Sedona Rockabillies

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my experience, 8-10 psi is great offroad at slower speeds but it gets wonky on hard pack dirt roads above about 40mph. I'm sure all tires are different but mine seem to have the best overall performance for mixed riding (roads, rocks, mud, snow) at around at 11-12psi. I have 32x10 Sedona Rockabillies
thanks. i'll stay this way for a while. no worries on mud/snow!

·
Registered
192 Posts
thanks, hometeam and everyone. looks like 1.5 is the best option to equalize. are some manufacturers recommended over others, or some aftermarket sites?
Not sure if there's really much difference in brands from spacer to spacer. But one thing to look out for is the Honda bolt pattern is the same bolt pattern as the Can-Am's. So you will have manufacturers claim they have a 1.5-in spacer for your Honda Talon but when you get it in the lug nuts are a different thread pitch. That happened to me. I ordered another set of spacers and they came in with Can-Am lug nuts. My cousin had the same issue with his but he ended up just popping the Can-Am lug nuts out and putting some Talon ones in. I currently have the Dragonfire 1.5 spacers and they seem to be doing fine.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.