Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You selling the mounting plate?
No, I'm not selling the plate. It's just 1/8" aluminum that I cut to match the bottom of the cargo box except the back side goes straight across, then drilled holes to match the oem bolt placements and put in four 1/4-20 rivet nuts.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not so ultimate cargo box - lol

Lowe’s - $18.99 — waterproof

Used a 2” spacer towards front of bed, used factory holes in front for spacer and used a piece of aluminum angle in the back in factory holes.

B0AF4C00-75DE-4C44-AECB-7E12C14BE9A4.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
nm6r- that is the nicest install I've seen! Very well done and I hope you don't mind if I do a similar thing. Quick question, with your KWT particle separator, do you have any issue with the lid hitting the flex hose? I have the same setup on my Honda. Where did you order the box? I haven't been able to find it at the price you paid.

I installed the ultimate Talon cargo box.
Looks great, durable, weather sealed, easy in/out, no ugly straps, $125.

https://www.mooseutilities.com/products/?productId=121242

View attachment 1068

View attachment 1069
I made a mounting plate for it.
It connects to the bed frame with 8 spacers and 8 longer bolts.

View attachment 1070
The cargo box mounts to the plate with four 1/4-20 knobs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nm6r- that is the nicest install I've seen! Very well done and I hope you don't mind if I do a similar thing. Quick question, with your KWT particle separator, do you have any issue with the lid hitting the flex hose? I have the same setup on my Honda. Where did you order the box? I haven't been able to find it at the price you paid.
Sorry for the late reply. I just got in last night from being off the grid for 10 days riding the Talon and fishing. The box worked great and no dust or rain got in.

The lid opens without hitting the flex hose on the particle separator. I did have to remove the flag mount on the cage of my 1000R. I understand that is not necessary on a 1000X-4.

I ordered my box from Cycle Gear. I had a $20 off coupon and the guy at Cycle Gear gave me an additional 10% off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. I just got in last night from being off the grid for 10 days riding the Talon and fishing. The box worked great and no dust or rain got in.

The lid opens without hitting the flex hose on the particle separator. I did have to remove the flag mount on the cage of my 1000R. I understand that is not necessary on a 1000X-4.

I ordered my box from Cycle Gear. I had a $20 off coupon and the guy at Cycle Gear gave me an additional 10% off.
Thanks for replying! I will go for it and install one of these boxes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
No, I'm not selling the plate. It's just 1/8" aluminum that I cut to match the bottom of the cargo box except the back side goes straight across, then drilled holes to match the oem bolt placements and put in four 1/4-20 rivet nuts.
How did you figure out how to drill the plat to match the stock mounting holes? did you use a spacer between the plate and bed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just measured the cargo of my 2020 Talon 1000x (2) and I only see 33" of available length space. Is this new in 2021 models?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just measured the cargo of my 2020 Talon 1000x (2) and I only see 33" of available length space. Is this new in 2021 models?
Your 2021 is no different. The box measurements are larger at the top, just like the Talon bed.

·
Registered
2020 Talon X4 Fox Live Valve
12 Posts
I installed the ultimate Talon cargo box.
Looks great, durable, weather sealed, easy in/out, no ugly straps, $125.

https://www.mooseutilities.com/products/?productId=121242

View attachment 1068

View attachment 1069
I made a mounting plate for it.
It connects to the bed frame with 8 spacers and 8 longer bolts.

View attachment 1070
The cargo box mounts to the plate with four 1/4-20 knobs.
I just joined the Forum. I have a '20 X4 Fox Live Valve. I've been looking around quite a bit for a storage box for both food and tools, etc. Your solution looks great.
Two questions; Does the box sit down inside the bed mold? I know its on the aluminum plate, but does it fit inside the outside edge? Second, if I see the pics correctly, you bolted down the plate with 4 bolts and then the box with an additional 4 bolts from inside the box. Is that correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just joined the Forum. I have a '20 X4 Fox Live Valve. I've been looking around quite a bit for a storage box for both food and tools, etc. Your solution looks great.
Two questions; Does the box sit down inside the bed mold? I know its on the aluminum plate, but does it fit inside the outside edge? Second, if I see the pics correctly, you bolted down the plate with 4 bolts and then the box with an additional 4 bolts from inside the box. Is that correct?

Thanks!
I really don't understand what your are asking about the box sitting inside the bed mold, fitting inside the outside edge.

I have the aluminum plate bolted to the bed frame using 8 bolts and 8 spacers under the plate.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks!
I mounted the box directly to the cargo area floor. It required cutting the tab off the right rear frame as nm6r mentions earlier. The mounting location I chose was as rearward as possible while still clearing the rollcage. I relocated the front factory tie down hooks allowing straps to be used to hold cargo on top of the box as well as on the airbox side of the box. Most importantly, the air filter can be serviced while the box remains in place. Many thanks to nm6r for finding this box for us!
20200723_140416.jpg
20200723_140412.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
I mounted the box directly to the cargo area floor. It required cutting the tab off the right rear frame as nm6r mentions earlier. The mounting location I chose was as rearward as possible while still clearing the rollcage. I relocated the front factory tie down hooks allowing straps to be used to hold cargo on top of the box as well as on the airbox side of the box. Most importantly, the air filter can be serviced while the box remains in place. Many thanks to nm6r for finding this box for us!
View attachment 1604 View attachment 1605
Thank you, that is what I was looking for, it looks like a great fit and sturdy construction. I'm placing my order now...

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not sure if OP is still around, however, did you drill holes in the bottom of the box and run the bolts up through it then used the spindal nuts to tie it down/secure it?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if OP is still around, however, did you drill holes in the bottom of the box and run the bolts up through it then used the spindal nuts to tie it down/secure it?

I don't know if OP is around, but that is what I did with my cargo box solution. I also did the aluminum plate that matched the box on top of the truck bed. Works great and is very solid

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't know if OP is around, but that is what I did with my cargo box solution. I also did the aluminum plate that matched the box on top of the truck bed. Works great and is very solid
Appreciate it, may have to follow all of you and do the same! Ty!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I made a mounting plate that matches the bottom of the box, except for the back. It goes straight across. The mounting plate attaches to the oem bed frame locations with spacers and longer hardware. This plate also has four 1/4-20 rivet nuts. I drilled holes in the bottom of the box to match the locations of the four 1/4-20 rivet nuts. The box attaches to the plate with four 1/4-20 knobs. This allows for quick and easy in and out for cleaning and access to the air box.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I made a mounting plate that matches the bottom of the box, except for the back. It goes straight across. The mounting plate attaches to the oem bed frame locations with spacers and longer hardware. This plate also has four 1/4-20 rivet nuts. I drilled holes in the bottom of the box to match the locations of the four 1/4-20 rivet nuts. The box attaches to the plate with four 1/4-20 knobs. This allows for quick and easy in and out for cleaning and access to the air box.
Appreciate the reply, I'd imagine that box doesn't get removed much and if it does it's simple to remove?

Also, any issues getting go the airbox with this setup? Guessing you have to remove the box all together. I'd like to get a waterproof box, but this method seems awfully clean!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts