Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A buddy of mine recommended the terrabites highly, and many of our members put them on, so when I got my 2020 R, I never even rode the stock tires and wheels, just put 30x10x15 terrabites on System 3 bead lock rims.

After my first 100 mile ride, the left rear was way low on air. Took it in for first service and started riding. It was losing 9 pounds over night, so we took off the ring, cleaned it thoroughly, torqued it to specs (15 psi) meticulously and slowly tightening the ring first to 10 psi, then 15 psi. Leaked immediately all around the ring. Took it back off, cleaned it again, then applied heavy grease rinse repeat, no change. Talked to the shop who mounted them and learned they had some other instances of problems with the terrabites on bead locks. Contacted Rocky Mountain and they opened a warranty and sent me a FedEx slip to ship back. As I kept riding all of the tires kept leaking, I contacted Rocky Mountain and they credited me for the first tire said they wouldn't do anything on the others. They said bead locks leak.

Tried Yamalube, Xtra Bead Seal (Sloped on after first attempt showed still leaking) no luck, still a constant slow leak.

The tires perform well, accurate handling, good ride (Started at 16, then 12 now I am at 9 pounds and that gives me an excellent ride). Great traction in deep sand, rocky mix, climbing and down hill loose material, hardpack slick dirt roads, no complaints at all, I like them. But, I have had it with having to fill them before every ride, even the next day.

Just dropped it at the shop to put the terrabites on my stock rims.

Anyone else having that problem when mounted on bead locks?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is leaking all around the outer bead. My shop measured the tire and it is too thin, so the rings can't compress it against the wheel to make an air tight seal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
HavasuDave...

I hate to say it but RockyMountainATVMC is right, for the most part beadlocks leak in particular if THEY mounted them. However, if they were put on so that each bolt was tighted only 1 or 2 times, they may have bent the rim. Never have them or a dealer attach the rings, always do beadlocks yourself. It takes a while.
You might want to try:
1) Remove the beadlock bolts, rings, clean the threads,
2) Clean with dish soap /water mix. The tire bead on both sides must be spotless
3) Take a grey sharpy pen and number each bolt holes across from each other going in a star pattern.
4) Torque the bolts no more than 5 foot pounds each and go all the way around hitting all the numbers in sequence. Increase the torque another 5 ft-lbs and do it again. Repeat this until you get to the spec'ed toque settings. So for Raceline wheels you would do this 4 times.
5) You have to check your beadlocks all the time, in particular if you go from cold to hot conditions.

I have fixed many friends leaking beadlocks by cleaning them, and torq'ing the bolts slowly in small increments but it is a pain.

From my experience, I have been very frustrated with many beadlock rims, including OEM rims and many different machines. I have found OMF to be top notch, Alba racing , and Raceline (great price point) to make great beadlocks that seal very well but those are generally very thick and wide rings for their wheels. They also use large bolt sizes too. Racelines give you extra threaded holes in case you strip out or bash off too many bolts. I can not speak for other wheel brands, but I try to stick with lightweight wheels.

This time around, I chose NOT to go with beadlocks because I wanted a wheel under 13 pounds on the Talon due to it's unique handling and was not willing to buy the OMF's this time, so I went with the Method wheels that have the bead grip technology. Fingers crossed. However, I carry a spare. Honestly, in the desert I feel I may have made a mistake, but it's also nice not fuss with beadlocks all the time. BeadLocks work if you get a good thick ring design that is also wide , check them and keep them clean.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HavasuDave...

I hate to say it but RockyMountainATVMC is right, for the most part beadlocks leak in particular if THEY mounted them. However, if they were put on so that each bolt was tighted only 1 or 2 times, they may have bent the rim. Never have them or a dealer attach the rings, always do beadlocks yourself. It takes a while.
You might want to try:
1) Remove the beadlock bolts, rings, clean the threads,
2) Clean with dish soap /water mix. The tire bead on both sides must be spotless
3) Take a grey sharpy pen and number each bolt holes across from each other going in a star pattern.
4) Torque the bolts no more than 5 foot pounds each and go all the way around hitting all the numbers in sequence. Increase the torque another 5 ft-lbs and do it again. Repeat this until you get to the spec'ed toque settings. So for Raceline wheels you would do this 4 times.
5) You have to check your beadlocks all the time, in particular if you go from cold to hot conditions.

I have fixed many friends leaking beadlocks by cleaning them, and torq'ing the bolts slowly in small increments but it is a pain.

From my experience, I have been very frustrated with many beadlock rims, including OEM rims and many different machines. I have found OMF to be top notch, Alba racing , and Raceline (great price point) to make great beadlocks that seal very well but those are generally very thick and wide rings for their wheels. They also use large bolt sizes too. Racelines give you extra threaded holes in case you strip out or bash off too many bolts. I can not speak for other wheel brands, but I try to stick with lightweight wheels.

This time around, I chose NOT to go with beadlocks because I wanted a wheel under 13 pounds on the Talon due to it's unique handling and was not willing to buy the OMF's this time, so I went with the Method wheels that have the bead grip technology. Fingers crossed. However, I carry a spare. Honestly, in the desert I feel I may have made a mistake, but it's also nice not fuss with beadlocks all the time. BeadLocks work if you get a good thick ring design that is also wide , check them and keep them clean.
thanks Scotty, you always have great advice. I wished I had gone the way you did with method. I wanted the method bead lock, but they didn't have it in the Honda bolt pattern for the one I wanted. I think you made a great choice. If you made it through the stuff you did in Moab and nothing popped off, it ain't going to pop off😝😎. I really like the terrabites, a buddy just asked about getting them in 32" (which I should have done) I told him he should, since he's mounting them on the stock RZR pro rims.

I also think the system 3 wheels are well made, they have two sets of threaded holes also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
thanks Scotty, you always have great advice. I wished I had gone the way you did with method. I wanted the method bead lock, but they didn't have it in the Honda bolt pattern for the one I wanted. I think you made a great choice. If you made it through the stuff you did in Moab and nothing popped off, it ain't going to pop off😝😎. I really like the terrabites, a buddy just asked about getting them in 32" (which I should have done) I told him he should, since he's mounting them on the stock RZR pro rims.

I also think the system 3 wheels are well made, they have two sets of threaded holes also.
Ya, my buddy bought a Talon and put on 32's, but Terramasters and they barely weighed anymore than my 31's. I wished I had got those now.
I missed the sheep in the picture! Cool!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts