Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to reduce the turning radius on my 1000R 2 seater? It looks like there is enough clearance for the tires. Has anyone done this? The 1000R is 4" wider than the 1000X and has a 3' longer turn radius. Yes, I'm a newbie to SXS. But I have needed to many 3 point turns that should have been turns that didn't involve reverse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Several have talked about this on this forum and the other forum. None have actually came up with a good working solution, wish they had.

·
Registered
116 Posts
One guy put a X steering rack in his R and it helped. What you run into is axle bind at "x" degree when you start turning sharper. The R also has quit a bit longer wheelbase which will effect the turning radius also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One guy put a X steering rack in his R and it helped. What you run into is axle bind at "x" degree when you start turning sharper. The R also has quit a bit longer wheelbase which will effect the turning radius also.
The R being wider would only affect it by about 5 inches. I would think the only other difference would be the angle the steering is permitted to turn. And the longer wheel base: IDK, but the rear wheels follow where ever they need to. And they would never go out as far as the front wheels do. I guess at some point if the front turned too sharp, it would cause the rear wheels/Talon to slide sideways some. I know nothing about the geometry of suspension. I'm just trying to find the reasoning behind turning radius.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The R has almost 4’ more turning radius than the X. I agree you make a lot of 3 point turns in the R. I was going to do portals on my R. The dealer told me add 1’ for every inch you make it wider. Which would make sense with it being 4” wider and almost 4’ more radius. It’d be nice to get it turning a little tighter. Some of those tight trails suck in my R haha

·
Registered
25 Posts
The main problem is the u-joints in the front axle go into bind because of the way the front end is made on the R. That is the whole limiting factor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The main problem is the u-joints in the front axle go into bind because of the way the front end is made on the R. That is the whole limiting factor.
Thank you. That is the type answer I was looking for. Does the X use the same u-joints? If yes, then do they turn more degrees than the R?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The other issue is that the front assy is further forward, that is some of the extra wheelbase length of the R. The a arms are already angled forward like many aftermarket manufactures did on the RZR to clear larger tires. The Ujoints are already not straight and only get worse with front steering angles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The other issue is that the front assy is further forward, that is some of the extra wheelbase length of the R. The a arms are already angled forward like many aftermarket manufactures did on the RZR to clear larger tires. The Ujoints are already not straight and only get worse with front steering angles.
I think I may understand a little. With the A-arms being forward, it is using some of the total angle the U-joints can allow. And the X is straight out, and can use all of the tolerable angle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts