Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you supposed to hear a clicking noise before the transmission shifts gears actually its just one loud click then it shifts?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have seen some concerning reports on hondas DCT in the Africa Twin. Some of those owners questioned their dealers only to find out it was "normal." My fear is the stalling issue they experienced also happens here.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I guess we're lucky that Honda has used DCT's in other non-automotive applications prior to the Talon.
I'm still on edge about the stalling and usually hesitant about new components like this. Hopefully the DCT production run found in our Talons addressed that issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine does it as well, I am told it is normal but it makes sense if you think how the clutches work. I think we are just used to a belt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine DID that... now its broken. I had concerns because it was a loud click....then shift, especially from 1st to 2nd. I went ahead and took it on a 100 mile trip and it performed fine. I brought it to my shop and changed the engine/transmission oil and filters (no contamination in filters and I ran it 10 minutes in park and rechecked the oil levels). Backed it out of my bay, headed to the wash bay and CLICK/BANG! PGM-FI and I-4wd lights blinking, machine is in limp mode and I wont start it again..... its headed to the dealer.
I will update once the dealer diagnosis the issue and gets back to me. I bought the first one off the truck in this area, and immediately scoured the internet looking to see if others were experiencing the same symptoms, but nothing was reported at the time. Now the dealer has a couple of other units in stock and I will take one for a spin when I drop mine off in the morning... I'm curious.
That all being said, I still like this unit! Once the bugs are worked out its one helluva machine!

·
Registered
8 Posts
seems like we purchased some garbage i just had both tires pop of the rim and flip me over bending my roll bar among other things bad purchase lucky my daughter didnt get hurt to bad

·
Registered
19 Posts
seems like we purchased some garbage i just had both tires pop of the rim and flip me over bending my roll bar among other things bad purchase lucky my daughter didnt get hurt to bad
Nice story. IF this happened as you say, maybe you should have checked your tire pressure or perhaps left the pressure as it came from factory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice story. IF this happened as you say, maybe you should have checked your tire pressure or perhaps left the pressure as it came from factory.
Literally drove it home took it off the trailer n took it out in the field for a test ride. Dealer said they prepped the machine so i never checked or did anything with the tire pressure you would assume just picking it up it would be at the right pressure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took it in and the dealership said that it had two codes. (of course it ran fine when I unloaded it there.lol.) One because the TPS was out of wack and another for the ABS that they couldn't identify due to diagnostic software being a little behind the release.
At any rate, they gave it the OK and I took it on a couple small trips... lots of puddle jumping and WFO roads and it performed great. The click is normal. My "clunk" was probably due to a misadjusted shifter cable.. I've noticed that low needs some adjustment as it will hit the shift plastic bezel before getting all the way into low sometimes.
All good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The common misconception with a DCT is that the RPM change that feels like an automatic shifting is not the entire "shift" sequence but rather only the last part of it at the point when the transmission changes from one clutch to the other. The "Click" (I actually describe it as a "Clunk") you are all hearing is actually the transmission shifting the next or previous gear just prior to disengaging the engaged clutch and engaging the disengaged clutch. That click/clunk is the actual gear shifting. It is how a DCT works, the shift occurs something like this...

• Gear section 1,3,5 in 1st gear.
  • Clutch 1 engaged, clutch 2 disengaged.
  • Shift requested (either by computer or paddles).
  • Gear section 2,4,6 shifts into 2nd (this is the click/clunk that you hear like large bike when you shift it while pulling the clutch).
  • Clutch 1 disengages and (almost simultaneously) clutch 2 engages (this is when the RPM changes and you feel the finishing step of a shift).
The click/clunk is totally normal and part of most all DCT's. It seems a bit louder in the Talon than a car but that is probably due to the smaller gearbox and lack of insulation so you hear just about everything going on back there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts