Honda Talon Forum banner

trans problems ?

25K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Ramarsh 
#1 ·
my buddy a razor fan and most of his buddies are to some are in the business as sales mang. ect…. they went on a big ride in west va on the hatfield & mccoy trails this weekend he said they are seeing some transmissions come in that are getting to hot and burning up anyone have or know of this problem mine is doing fine we were thinking maybe abusing high range instead of using low when they need it?

#2 ·
Coming from a Razor "fan" with buddies "in the business" I wouldn't put too much stock into what they said. I bet it was a gross over-exaduration of the real situation. There have been no reports of transmissions "burning up", just a handful of reports that the clutch temp light has come on.

If you bog down a Talon and get stuck and the wheels are not spinning and you stay on the gas, you can trigger the clutch temp light. Simple solution is to stop, put it in park and leave it running for a minute and the cooling system will cool the clutches down. Put it in LOW to get unstuck. If you are truly stuck, use your winch.

If you keep trying to spin your wheels when you are stuck in mud, you will generate lots of heat regardless what you drive. However, with a belted machine, you blow a belt without any warning. With a Talon, you get a warning light and save your machine (and your day) by simply waiting a couple minutes. I guess your razor buddies prefer blowing belts ?

#3 ·
Lots of people burned the clutches in their Pioneer 1000's in the first couple of years doing less stressful things than getting stuck so I personally will be open minded and do more research and see what the future brings.
When you burn a belt in a Polaris it can usually be changed in a few minutes on the trail. When you burn the clutches in a Honda it is hours and big money to fix it.
Burned belt or burned clutches the burned belt wins every time.
I have ridden with lots of Polaris machines for lots of years and I have never see a belt get burned up. I know they do but it is mostly people that do things like getting stuck and slipping it or driving in high range when they should be in low.
Common sense goes a long way in saving your equipment no matter which brand you ride.

#4 ·
yea these are good guys most are mecanics my (buddy) is my snap on guy he is a retired mech and a machinist good guy with mech knowledge not taking trash just the service mang of a local dealership is his friend and that is the only thing besides the fans being wired backwards that he has seen. just testing the water to see if any others are out there we have all been wheeling for many years (me) at least 40 years ! damn im getting old. I see all the racers baja , king of hammers , ect riding razors carry a belt with them.

#5 ·
I have 200 and 400 mil on my unit's all slow speed , hill climes and rocks, teck trail riding, never even had the temp light come on. I keep it in low 95% of the time.

I don't think the Talon is having clutch trouble, that was first gen Pioneers, Talon clutch side plate flows a lot more oil and has temp sensor, I am hearing more sub trans troubles from people not coming to complete stops when shifting from hight too low and back, forward to revers with out coming to stop, or shifter cable out of adjustment, will take out sub trans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.