Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 talon r
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on this forum for over a month , and bought a 2020 Talon. This is my 1st sxs, as I always had dirt bikes. I drove it home yesterday from the dealer , everything seem fine except the noise. I checked all drive train fluids all good. It shifts very crisp and goes into all the gears easily. The high pitch wine sounds bad. Any thoughts would be helpful. I will take it to the dealer if the response indicates.

·
Registered
158 Posts
They a have a wine of some sort from the drivetrain. If that is the wine that you're hearing it does get less with miles on it. I also have changed my oil to Amsoil after the hundred mile break in and that makes it smoother and quieter also. Not sure if you're able to, but you could try to take a video of you driving it and see if we can hear the noise and if it's normal or not. I could probably go drive mine after that and see if you hear the same noise. I hope you get it figured out!

·
Registered
2020 talon r
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try different syn oil to se e if it helps. Thanks alot for the offer. I do not know how to use the record and send features on my phone.

·
Registered
2020 4X Live
11 Posts
You don't need "wet clutch" oil in the sub trans. In fact, I highly recommend you don't use it. I run Schaefer's. Friction modifiers are a good thing in a non clutch environment.

·
Registered
2020 talon r
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for the info. I'll use the honda oils for now. All fluids are at the perfect level .

·
Registered
2020 4X Live
11 Posts
Honda makes an oil with moly. Use that if you want to stick with Honda oil. Most people (including myself) who change the sub trans oil to a standard non wet clutch oil, no longer complain about gear whine, or difficulty shifting. I believe the only reason Honda suggests running engine/ trans oil in the sub trans, is because they don't trust the consumer not to mix them.

·
Registered
2020 talon r
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try that . I've always had race bikes and cars. Used many different brands of oils over the last50 + years. Amazing sometimes what a different oil might make.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Honda makes an oil with moly. Use that if you want to stick with Honda oil. Most people (including myself) who change the sub trans oil to a standard non wet clutch oil, no longer complain about gear whine, or difficulty shifting. I believe the only reason Honda suggests running engine/ trans oil in the sub trans, is because they don't trust the consumer not to mix them.
Yes that is very good stuff to use. I didn't want him to mix it up with the other oil! I've heard of people using the Honda oil with Moly with good results in the subtrains! It doesn't need to be wet clutch in the subtrains.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m highly considering to purchase a new Honda talon. Does anyone know if they have addressed the sub-trans issues they’ve had?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I’m highly considering to purchase a new Honda talon. Does anyone know if they have addressed the sub-trans issues they’ve had?
Keep your cable adjusted properly and you will be fine. Lots guys with lots of miles on them with zero issues. I beat on mine and it keeps going! I have a buddy that has over 15k on his R in Tennessee and runs like a champ...no subtrans issues!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not to the best of my knowledge, and taking one out is a royal pain, been there and have the t-shirt! :) :)
I bought a new Honda Talon 4SX,,2020. Dealer delivery with no oil in Sub Trans, noticed on the first 100 miles service. My experience is I ran that transmission hard for 60 miles no oil. At dealer service there were no metal particles in the oil, when the Transmission was flushed. I now have 1,800 miles and it runs great, no problems. I would buy another Honda. Talon is not difficult to service but I suggest asking a properly instructed mechanic the process to do all service. Start by checking all fluid levels. Tom San Diego.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts