Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do you feel a 10ft trailer would have fit the talon. Or do you feel you had to have the 12 footer
Just picked up my Talon R with my 6 x 10 trailer. It doesn't fit ? The tires are roughly the same as my 1000 RZR, but the front bumper and heat shield on the muffler make the R 10'4" long (vs 9'10" RZR). 69" wide with the stock tires(RZR 70" wide with 31x10.5 15" method wheels). So I need to modify my trailer.
7 X 12 good, 6.5 X 12 ok might get tight with larger tires/wheel combo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, so your axel must sut pretty far back on the trailer frame then. I’m afraid unless I back my Talon on it will be too tail heavy. See the pic of my trailer with my 900 Trail which is probably 8” or more shorter than the Talon. View attachment 167
Ok, I just measured. From the rear of my trailer to the center of the axle is 53" and from the original front of my trailer to the center of the axle is 69". Modifying the front of my trailer forward 6" puts it at 75" to the center of the axle.

·
Registered
2020 1000R
4 Posts
Ok, I just measured. From the rear of my trailer to the center of the axle is 53" and from the original front of my trailer to the center of the axle is 69". Modifying the front of my trailer forward 6" puts it at 75" to the center of the axle.
Good work there! That looks like an excellent mod to save you buying a new trailer. Is that a 6x10 "Carry On" drop ramp trailer? I just picked up a 6x12. The 1000R fits with 2 feet to spare. However the welds tacking the perforated metal to the edges of the ramp started snapping on the first loading. Have you had this issue? A failure could drop the front wheel between the ramp stringers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good work there! That looks like an excellent mod to save you buying a new trailer. Is that a 6x10 "Carry On" drop ramp trailer? I just picked up a 6x12. The 1000R fits with 2 feet to spare. However the welds tacking the perforated metal to the edges of the ramp started snapping on the first loading. Have you had this issue? A failure could drop the front wheel between the ramp stringers.
Yes, that's the trailer. No problem with the expanded metal but I can see the potential.

·
Registered
2020 1000R
4 Posts
Yes, that's the trailer. No problem with the expanded metal but I can see the potential.
Trailers Plus in Tucson stepped up and took care of me, I brought them the trailer on Thursday. They welded on two more angle iron stringers and repainted the gate. I picked it up on Saturday. It should be good to go now.

Carry-On Trailers needs to be aware that UTV are wider than they once were and beef up their ramps. Otherwise, this is a nice trailer for the money.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Trailers Plus in Tucson stepped up and took care of me, I brought them the trailer on Thursday. They welded on two more angle iron stringers and repainted the gate. I picked it up on Saturday. It should be good to go now.

Carry-On Trailers needs to be aware that UTV are wider than they once were and beef up their ramps. Otherwise, this is a nice trailer for the money.
Thanks for the pic and the solution. I will have to do that too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just switched from a 6.5x12 7000# dual axle steel and wood trailer to a 73"x13' Floe Cargo Max 4400# dual axle trailer. I usually haul with a Frontier or 4Runner so I wanted something as light as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey yall I am about to purchase a SxS but need to understand my limitations here. I am about to order the 1000x-4 honda talon. Do you know if a 6x12 trailer will work? Need to know soon lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A 6x12 open trailer will work but the back will stick out about 3-4". So if you have flip up ramps on the trailer, you won't be able to flip them up and store them. I had to take my ramps off and put them in my truck bed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A 6x12 open trailer will work but the back will stick out about 3-4". So if you have flip up ramps on the trailer, you won't be able to flip them up and store them. I had to take my ramps off and put them in my truck bed.
So you are certain it will work? Please dont make fun of me but I do live in one of those homes with just no space and my thought it to rent a Uhaul trailer when I take it out. There biggest one is the 6' x 12' trailer. with no back gate. I want to make sure this will work because that is how I was going to pick it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am absolutely certain. I hauled mine home on a 6.5x12. I just couldn't fold the ramps up because the back of the Talon extended a few inches past the back of the trailer. The tires were completely within the trailer and I have 30" tires which are bigger than the stock 28"ers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What are you finding best size of trailer is for hauling the talon r. Will a 7 foot wide trailer work well or do people prefer a little wider trailer
Looking at price as the main criteria, and Bang for the buck, I would put Charmac against most any trailer made in the USA. I actually LOVE the Escape models. I raced professionally, desert (over 30 years ) and who knows how many endless motocross races, and wore trailers out with 50 Plus thousands of miles on them, some fell apart at 20,000 miles. I can't count how many brands of trailers I have owned. My Charmac is mainly for my Honda Talon, and is custom smaller trailer I could have built and still be able to camp it it, (Modified 18 foot trailer as 11 foot box , 5 foot 5 nose, but with a true 7.5' width. Weighs about 1700 pounds. I have a See pictures below.

Probably the best feature is the 36" wide side door, that is on the drivers side, not the passenger side, and it's exactly lined up so I can walk out the Honda talon after loading.

I added some things like hot water on demand, and a shower (inside with curtain or pop up on the side ramp door) , microwave, solar, and some cabinets, but other than that, it's the way it came from Charmac. 

I got this trailer for about $3000 less than the standard De Facto, yet, crappy ALCOM made aluminum trailers at are just shells. I have the nice frameless glass (3), ramp on the curb side to load gas cans + loading stuff after The talon is loaded like pressure washer...~The side front ramp also doubles as a shower platform. This trailer came with nice Raceline wheels, side door is still greater than 36" wide but exits from the Talon divers side, I can drive this trailer with R + rated tries over 100mph and it's rock solid on the road, it's insulated so I can sleep in it, finished inside, powder coated black frame, full bank LED's, wired with deep cycle battery, 20,000 pound hitch tongue that is adjustable in height.... They can make this Charmac Escape model up to 28 feet. However, I had mind ordered from Idaho from Riverside Boot and Saddle dealer (ask For Kennith) because I'm in Utah and Utah Trailer dealers are the worst, because they can price gouge you to death because of the crazy demand for trailers here. Charmac will ship anywhere. From my experience with "enclosed" trailers here are some thoughts :

1) I prefer a 7.5 over a 7 foot trailer so I can put a king size bed in it, and I get a full deck width on the ramp. I can easily walk along the side of the Talon (32" tires) without problems. Keep in mind 7.5' wide crappy aluminum trailers are not the same size (smaller) than 7.5 steel trailers because of the frame size templates.
2) From experience and my friends, avoid buying ANY aluminum trailer made by ALCOM under $15K like LOOK, HAULMARK, ESCAPE, STEALTH, XPRESS and so on if you want a trailer to last. Read the side of the trailer, if it says made by ALCOM, walk away.
3) I have found that aluminum trailers that do NOT have aluminum decks drive like hell and flex like crazy. Wood decks work awesome in steel trailers but cause the aluminum to flex too much. Unless your frame members are 14" or 16" on centers.
4) Don't be fooled by thinking aluminum is lighter. Many quality steel trailers under 20 feet are within a few hundred pounds of aluminum trailers. Again, my Charmac is about 1700 pounds and is based on a 18' frame system.
5) If you want aluminum I highly recommend ATC, Becker (Las Vegas division), Featherlite... I'm sure there are more but those are from experience. Again, I have nothing good to say about ANY trailer under $15K made by ALCOM.
6) I like enclosed trailers that have at least a spacing of 16" beams (frame) on centers. If it's larger than that, say, 20" or worse 24", they are cutting costs and your trailer will flex.
7) I have run both axle types and not had a problem with quality steel springs for something as light as the Talon. Torsion is nice but if your trailer is not Johny on the spot accurate it can eat your tires up.
8) Ask if the aluminum skin is at least 0.04 thickness. IF it's under 0.03", I be worried the trailer skin is not going to hold up.

Here are some pictures:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am thinking about investing some money to design a new trailer that could be folded and compactible for people with not as much space to store a trailer. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks @terratrooper for all your help. For now I will be going with the 6 x 12 trailer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@scottymac beautiful trailer but I would NEVER spend that much money just to haul something unless whatever I am hauling is making me money. I am an investor and just could never justify spending that much on a trailer lol.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I upgraded my steel bed 20 footer after 30 years. Here is the new 22 foot tilt one. Easy to use and towing is excellent. Everyone has their preferences.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@scottymac beautiful trailer but I would NEVER spend that much money just to haul something unless whatever I am hauling is making me money. I am an investor and just could never justify spending that much on a trailer lol.
I'm curious to know what you think my Red/Black Charmac costs?

With the demand of construction and off raod recreation sky rocketing right now, due to Covid ... plus, people not traveling abroad, I'm more than positive with a couple years I have on this red/black trailer, I would be ahead if I sold it used.

Interesting but I just pulled this up that I payed for an older and previous 2007 Charmac , 7X14 V nose, around $5270 plus a few minor extras. I sold it for $4700, 13 years later. An ALCOM trailer which probably cost $1500 less, would not have held up half that distance. I had gone thru 5 sets of tires on it. I don't see that as much of a loss for not having shitty made trailer. Anything can get stolen but an enclosed trailer seems like a peace of mind to me on a Talon that is set up over $40K. I've never lost more than 85 plus percent on any enclosed trailer, but I guess I also keep my stuff well maintained and clean. Attached is the old trailer with 13 years of hard race trips on it they day I sold it. This black one had about 65,000miles on it in this picture. I don't see Charmac as an expensive trailer, compared to other ones I have owned, and thus why I made the switch to Charmac . These trailers hold up well in condition and durability.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will comment on the spring axles versus the torsion. Having had several with Torsion, I see more issues with them than spring type. If you travel long distances, you are bound to hit big pot holes. The torsion have a tendency to tweak one axle and wear tires till you replace it. Also torsion require the trailer to be very level to get proper weight distribution where Most spring versions have pivots that can make up for some of that rather than putting most the weight on one axle (look at tires on a torsion and if not level, one will show it has most of weight on it).

Another big advantage to an enclosed trailer if travel long distances is your rig does not get all the bugs, slop when it rains, or like me if have to travel thru snow country to get to riding areas in winter, the snow/ salt. Plus like Scotty said, thieves have to at least work to steal stuff out of your rig at night.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ya, I would have to agree.... I’ve gone thru way more tires on torsion axles. Also, the better the trailer quality in raw materials and construction the more it allows for faster, better towing with spring axles so it makes up for smoothness of torsion in many cases. I went back to springs on this little rig I got.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What are you finding best size of trailer is for hauling the talon r. Will a 7 foot wide trailer work well or do people prefer a little wider trailer
If it's an open trailer 6' works as long as the sides are not too high . When I had just an R for a couple weeks I used my 6' wide trailer with no problem but enclosed has to be 8.5 wide that's the max width for trailers and it needs every bit

21 - 40 of 42 Posts