Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an issue with putting their Talon on the trailer backwards? I have a 6x12 trailer and am looking for more tongue weight, thought about trying towing with the machine on backwards. Any problems with the roof, or windshields coming off? Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone had an issue with putting their Talon on the trailer backwards? I have a 6x12 trailer and am looking for more tongue weight, thought about trying towing with the machine on backwards. Any problems with the roof, or windshields coming off? Thanks.
That is the way you want to do it. I think most of us do it that way. I personally have never had an issue going backwards.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The top is tapered the wrong way, and the windshield, if you have one, can work against the holding clamps. But if you don't go too fast or have really bad side winds you should be ok!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
170 Posts
I always tow with it backwards for the exact same reason, only I have a 14 x 7' trailer and a Talon X 4 seater. Never had an issue with anything on the machine. I travel on all types of highways, freeways included. I use E Track to tie down to and tighten the 2" ratchet straps over the wheels to keep it in place; that way I'm not compressing the suspension and it rides as if it was normally going down the road. Happy trails and be safe !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The top is tapered the wrong way, and the windshield, if you have one, can work against the holding clamps. But if you don't go too fast or have really bad side winds you should be ok!
The first thing I thought was "am I going to damage the roof or will my windshield fly off." I would be driving around 75mph on the interstate for 2 hours to get to the cabin.

·
Registered
2020 Talon 1000x
13 Posts
Ive towed mine backwards on my snowmobile trailer when my car trailer was down. No problems but the cover between the seats did come loose, it was still in the cab. That was with no windshield.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 7x12 aluminum trailer and an x4 . Have not had issue towing it facing forward. My trailer seems to have decent amount of tongue weight. Tried towing backwards and didn't have any issues but with wheel chalks it's definately easier going forward on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm curious what is the benefit of towing backwards? I get more weight on the tongue, but what else? I tow mine every single weekend and I drive it on forward. I do have a backup camera and monitor so it doesn't make it easier getting off the trailer, but it's not hard getting it on or off.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm curious what is the benefit of towing backwards? I get more weight on the tongue, but what else? I tow mine every single weekend and I drive it on forward. I do have a backup camera and monitor so it doesn't make it easier getting off the trailer, but it's not hard getting it on or off.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
typically, it is just for weight distribution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello

New to the forum. I am in the process of picking out a Talon I am looking for info on trailers. Will a 4 seater fit on a 12 foot trailer with a ramp gate?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
170 Posts
Yes, it will, but does not leave any room for anything else. Keep in mind that if you ever go to larger tires, it may not fit with the rear gate. Do your homework and measure the machine before you make your trailer purchase. BTW, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I hear lots of people trailering with the Talon on backwards with no issues. I loaded mine up backwards and went for a drive. It seems to tow better with the higher tonque weight but noticed the roof looked like it was going to get ripped off, it was flapping pretty good in the wind. Maybe it will be ok, but it wasn't a good feeling. I know I would be watching the roof in the mirror the whole trip and not paying attention to the road. Going to keep it on the trailer forward for peace of mind.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is no issue with towing backwards. On short trailers (12-14ft) I would consider it mandatory to keep proper weight distribution and tongue weight to keep the trailer from whipping. I built a custom 6.5'x14ft trailer for mine, with the axle set 18" further back than a standard single axle utility (with electric brakes) and with the talon on forward I get more sway than I like. So I started loading backwards again and alleviated all towing issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts