Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the Trail Armor skid plate that has the sides that wrap around? Do you like it?

Any thoughts on the TA skid plate vs. Nerf bars?

Don't do rock crawling, but do run into a lot of rocky climbs where I ride. I have an X4.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
I run the Honda OEM sidebars (rock sliders) and they work well. Keep the rocks of the side edges of your skit plate. Take a look at how SuperATV makes the skid plates -- all made in house!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Does anyone have the Trail Armor skid plate that has the sides that wrap around? Do you like it?

Don't do rock crawling, but do run into a lot of rocky climbs where I ride. I have an X4.
In my experience anything that sticks out hits stuff. I prefer the skid plates that conform to the vehicle. I went with SuperAtv, it doesn’t have that wrap around. Factory ATV and Trail Armor do. They were a little pricey for me. So I went with SuperATV.

I had the rock guard side slider that conformed on my RZR.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You cant go wrong with SuperATV. They actually test their own products!
Oh, I know, have several of their products on my machine already, I also live about 90 minutes from their facility and they are a customer, I know all about them. THey just don't have that wrap around skid plate, which why I was looking at the others.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
I understand, have you ever toured their facility, I have heard it is a monster around 280,000 sq. ft., and they even have a metal X-Ray machine to look at metal in the axles and A-arms. No worries, I just like companies that truly test their parts and ride as well. They are here to support in every way. I also just purchased A-Arm and Trailing Arm covers from Trail Armor as SuperATV does not make them yet. Just so you know they do not support me in any way other than a veteran discount (Air Force 27 years) that I appreciate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand, have you ever toured their facility, I have heard it is a monster around 280,000 sq. ft., and they even have a metal X-Ray machine to look at metal in the axles and A-arms. No worries, I just like companies that truly test their parts and ride as well. They are here to support in every way. I also just purchased A-Arm and Trailing Arm covers from Trail Armor as SuperATV does not make them yet. Just so you know they do not support me in any way other than a veteran discount (Air Force 27 years) that I appreciate.
I did before they moved in, so nothing there at the time.

I have their trailing arm guards and I am installing their A-Arms so that I can put on 32" right now (ended up having to buy bushings because you can not get the factory ones out easily and waiting for them to arrive, so my baby is sitting on jacks waiting until this weekend, picking up the bushings on Friday, so no riding this weekend most likely.).

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
I did before they moved in, so nothing there at the time.

I have their trailing arm guards and I am installing their A-Arms so that I can put on 32" right now (ended up having to buy bushings because you can not get the factory ones out easily and waiting for them to arrive, so my baby is sitting on jacks waiting until this weekend, picking up the bushings on Friday, so no riding this weekend most likely.).
Hope the install goes quickly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I personally went with a full one piece 1/2" skid plate and did the tree kickers. My opinion is that if you are mainly rock crawling then the wrap around skid would have been my choice. I do rock climb every chance I get but I spend most of my time in the Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia trails where I hit rocks and trees. And the tree kickers are best in my opinion for pivoting around things and the tree kickers do a better job of keeping your SXS from dragging along its side when the off camber washouts put you smashed against the side.
IMG_20200322_161916.jpg IMG_20200830_214444.jpg IMG_20200831_204557.jpg IMG_20200414_160705.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I personally went with a full one piece 1/2" skid plate and did the tree kickers. My opinion is that if you are mainly rock crawling then the wrap around skid would have been my choice. I do rock climb every chance I get but I spend most of my time in the Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia trails where I hit rocks and trees. And the tree kickers are best in my opinion for pivoting around things and the tree kickers do a better job of keeping your SXS from dragging along its side when the off camber washouts put you smashed against the side.
View attachment 1378 View attachment 1379 View attachment 1380 View attachment 1381
Well that is exactly where I ride, so it looks like tree kickers for the win!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well that is exactly where I ride, so it looks like tree kickers for the win!!!
My trees kickers came from AED offroad. He does a great job and they have great coverage were they extend past in the back towards the tire so a tree doesn't get hung up on you (which happened to me before I bought them and tore the side and fender all up). He was located right around the Kentucky/Tennessee state line. I picked them up on my way from Illinois to Royal Blue and installed in the parking lot real easy. He did a great job and I am talking about taking mine back to him this winter for a cage, if I decide to got that route.

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 1378 View attachment 1379 View attachment 1380 View attachment 1381
My trees kickers came from AED offroad. He does a great job and they have great coverage were they extend past in the back towards the tire so a tree doesn't get hung up on you (which happened to me before I bought them and tore the side and fender all up). He was located right around the Kentucky/Tennessee state line. I picked them up on my way from Illinois to Royal Blue and installed in the parking lot real easy. He did a great job and I am talking about taking mine back to him this winter for a cage, if I decide to got that route.
What brand skid did you go with? I went on the AED website but dont see anything listed for UTVs? do you have to call and tell him what you are looking for? Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Go to his Facebook page.

As far as my one piece skid plate that was made by another guy in Kentucky that my cousin who has my identical machine hooked us up with two one-piece skids. I had other brands that were in pieces, due to ease of shipping it, that broke at the joints on me. It wasn't that big of a deal but if I could get a one piece that was my preference. I can check with my cousin on who he got them from if you want but I'm not sure he ships due to size.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I cant tell from your pictures but can you run Rokblox mud flaps with the AED kickers? It looks like the front extends into the front wheel opening which would interfere with the flap. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts

Yes,I make some that are 1/4 thick high impact UHMW. I can send u a pic later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah their made of 1/8” to 3/16”, this 1/4” high density, high impact is rock solid, trust me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts