Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for info on how to tow my talon for a short distance if I ever had a breakdown (ie: engine problem, getting towed back to camp by another sxs). Does the trans still get lubricated if you’re in neutral, engine off, & getting towed?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was looking for info on how to tow my talon for a short distance if I ever had a breakdown (ie: engine problem, getting towed back to camp by another sxs). Does the trans still get lubricated if you’re in neutral, engine off, & getting towed?
Yes. The front and rear diffs, sub-trans all have gears basically sitting in oil. In neutral, they will all still self lubricate.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes. The front and rear diffs, sub-trans all have gears basically sitting in oil. In neutral, they will all still self lubricate.
That is all true BUT, the 6 speed transmission and dual clutches does not self lubricate. They are pressure fed when the engine is running only. Honda does not recommend flat towing the Pioneer or Talon for that reason.

A few miles in neutral at slower speeds is OK but not road or freeway. If you must tow your Talon, it is better if you have the engine running if possible.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That is all true BUT, the 6 speed transmission and dual clutches does not self lubricate. They are pressure fed when the engine is running only. Honda does not recommend flat towing the Pioneer or Talon for that reason.

A few miles in neutral at slower speeds is OK but not road or freeway. If you must tow your Talon, it is better if you have the engine running if possible.
I don't disagree, but I don't think the OP was talking about freeway speeds. Towing a Talon several miles due to an unlikely breakdown will do it no harm. The transmission will be in neutral, so not moving. But I see your point.

·
Registered
130 Posts
OP was asking about the transmission only. As PaulF said, transmission does NOT get lubricated if the engine is off, in neutral, and getting towed. PaulF, maybe the most trustworthy opinion on this forum, also said that to tow it slowly for a short distance should be okay, but it is better if you can do it with the engine running. Thank you PaulF.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't disagree, but I don't think the OP was talking about freeway speeds. Towing a Talon several miles due to an unlikely breakdown will do it no harm. The transmission will be in neutral, so not moving. But I see your point.
It is a little more complex than that. Although the Sub-Transmission has a neutral, the Transmission (inside the engine case) does not (it is always in a gear, actually 2 gears at once). So, with the Sub-Trans in neutral, the oil resistance can turn the ST input shaft, then turn the Transmission output shaft and all the Transmission gears and in turn turn both clutches (which are disengaged with no oil pressure). Without engine lubrication, the Transmission, Clutches and related bearings can be damaged if allowed to turn too much.

The "safe" flat tow distance is undetermined and will vary based on oil viscosities, temperature and speed.

So, don't flat tow a Talon unless absolutely necessary without the engine running and keep it as short and slow as possible.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It is a little more complex than that. Although the Sub-Transmission has a neutral, the Transmission (inside the engine case) does not (it is always in a gear, actually 2 gears at once). So, with the Sub-Trans in neutral, the oil resistance can turn the ST input shaft, then turn the Transmission output shaft and all the Transmission gears and in turn turn both clutches (which are disengaged with no oil pressure). Without engine lubrication, the Transmission, Clutches and related bearings can be damaged if allowed to turn too much.

The "safe" flat tow distance is undetermined and will vary based on oil viscosities, temperature and speed.

So, don't flat tow a Talon unless absolutely necessary without the engine running and keep it as short and slow as possible.
OK, whatever. I don't think the Talon is the snowflake you think it is. I'd never tow mine unless absolutely necessary, as the OP is describing. Thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
402 Posts
OK, whatever. I don't think the Talon is the snowflake you think it is. I'd never tow mine unless absolutely necessary, as the OP is describing. Thanks for the warning.
I never said the Talon is a snowflake. The OP asked if the Transmission gets lubricated with the engine off. You said it does and you are wrong and I as politely as I could explained why. You then went on to say the transmission is in neutral and again, you were wrong so as eloquently and with as much detail as I could, I explained it more clearly.

You gave the OP false information (twice no less) and as politely as I could, I corrected you. Sorry to have offended you, I will know better next time and just let it go.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I never said the Talon is a snowflake. The OP asked if the Transmission gets lubricated with the engine off. You said it does and you are wrong and I as politely as I could explained why. You then went on to say the transmission is in neutral and again, you were wrong so as eloquently and with as much detail as I could, I explained it more clearly.

You gave the OP false information (twice no less) and as politely as I could, I corrected you. Sorry to have offended you, I will know better next time and just let it go.
I don't claim to know everything. I guess I was thinking the OP was asking if he could be towed without harm in a situation where there was no other choice. Based on what I know, I would have to say that I would let someone tow me from point A where I was disabled, to point B where I could make repairs. That was my interpretation of the OP's question. If I had to do it, that's what I'd chose. I'm not saying you're wrong, and I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I appreciate the info-thanks! 👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.