Honda Talon Forum banner

To spare or not to spare

25K views 67 replies 24 participants last post by  Supe 
#1 ·
I see many people that have their cargo area full with needed items. Then I don't see a spare tire. I am new to the SXS riding and don't know what is necessary for survival. How often do tires go flat? When they do go flat, how often do they break from the bead? How often are the tires damaged beyond plug repair? Have you ever cracked a wheel on a rock making tire repair impossible? I know I will probably ride alone more than most people. How important is it for me to have a spare? I'm not afraid of walk outs.

I need to balance pros and cons. The pros are obvious. The cons are usually having reduced visibility from the rear view mirror. A small pro is that I could sell that mirror. I'm no fan of putting weight up high on any type of vehicle. I'm new to the SXS world. But I've already had my Talon on some "What the hell are you doing?" leans. That extra high weight or a gentle summer breeze could make a difference. What say you veterans?

#2 ·
Did a ride last season and we were 36 miles from our trucks only 2 Talons in group. The guy on the other Talon ripped his sidewall open. He would have paid almost anything at that moment for a spare. He missed a day of riding and managed tp limp back with 18 plugs in the tire. Yes 18! Following day I ordered a tire rack from Factory UTV and it does allow me to see behind with no problems you'll like it. I've never had a flat and hope to never do but I carry a spare today...

#5 ·
I ran without a spare tire for almost half a year. Bought good tires and thought I was careful. Then out in the middle of nowhere up jumped a rock and boom a ripped sidewall. I did have enough plugs with me to limp back to camp. We were out in the Utah desert and it was hot. We were with other people, but kinda off by ourselves. Made me realize what could happen worst case scenario. After that, I bought a tire rack and a spare rim and tire. Bought the Super ATV rack and I am ok with the visibility. It is reduced, but not bad. I am also carrying more water these days. Don't forget the jack. The good news is that it isn't a Polaris so you can get by without a fire extinguisher. :D

#7 ·
I ran without a spare tire for almost half a year. Bought good tires and thought I was careful. Then out in the middle of nowhere up jumped a rock and boom a ripped sidewall. I did have enough plugs with me to limp back to camp. We were out in the Utah desert and it was hot. We were with other people, but kinda off by ourselves. Made me realize what could happen worst case scenario. After that, I bought a tire rack and a spare rim and tire. Bought the Super ATV rack and I am ok with the visibility. It is reduced, but not bad.
Riding today I hit a couple rocks that sounded like they pinched the tire down to the wheel. If you crack the wheel, no size plug will get you home. I'm leaning heavily towards the spare. Especially since I like to ride alone a lot. Most don't like to ride as fast or far as I do. The prices for the carriers seems ridiculous.

#9 ·
Have you ever heard anyone say "dude, I wish didn't have the spare tire with me"?

Here's a picture of mine hanging off a Dirtroad Fabrications swing out tailgate. It holds the spare and gives me room for a cooler and black lab. And a bonus is that it swings open so I can actually manage to lift our old dog into th back. If it didn't swing open there's no way I could lift the dog that high

Attachments

#11 ·
I would rather have a bumper mounted carrier that didn't obstruct views. And lower CG weight. I wonder how the exhaust heat would affect the tire being that close. Also, I know someone that has an extra rear tire/wheel for sale. I don't know if it would rub if used on the front. Would it at least be usable to get me back home?

#17 ·
The little riding I've done so far, I've had too much reverse action that were near drop off's. Even with little sight blockage, I had some concerns. I also wanted easy access to fill oil, check air filter, and dig into my storage trunk.

#18 ·
Side mirrors are much better for any backing up that is a problem. They can be adjusted better to allow you to see exactly where the tire is. Rear view is more for distance. I do alot of rock crawling in the sierras and side mirrors are a must have. I do have a rear view Installed but it was a gift. Spare tire carrier swings out of the way by pulling two pins. Still have great access to cargo area.

#21 ·
i would definitely get a spare tire and mount. but most spare tire mounts are high mounts which are dangerous and i would never put one on unless you are only going to be driving at grandpa speeds which defeats the purpose of the honda talon(buy a queen jeep instead). a rear low mount away from the trunk area is what i have been waiting for. i am tired of waiting for one and looks like i am going to build one for my self. yes get the spare or regret it.

#28 ·

I picked the jsportsxs carrier because it keeps the center of gravity low and toward the rear. It also lifts, so you can put a fair bit of stuff underneath (but not room for a cooler). Also, I could see over the tire if a cared to, but I run side mirrors so that isn't an issue for me. If you really want to keep it low and basic, just lay the tire in the bottom of the bed and stack your stuff on top of it..

#30 ·
Thinking about it now, I do see the wisdom in having a second spare that you leave on the trailer. Many places we go are so remote, there would never be a chance of replacing a spare. If you have to use your single spare, you are then left with none. At least with two you can run back to camp and grab the second one....and not ruin your whole trip

#31 ·
But what happens is you get a flat, put the spare on and go back to the trailer only to get another flat after you got your second spare? Then what? Huh? Yeah that's right, your weekend is over. That's exactly why I just traded my Talon on a Polaris Ranger 6x6. But now that I think about it maybe I made a mistake. With 6 tires I think I'm more likely to get a flat. So I just ordered 2 spares to carry in the bed and 2 spares to leave on the trailer. I think that should cover it.

#40 ·
Followup: I ordered a spare wheel and tire. I had no luck finding take offs or used. A spare doesn't need to match the others and I'm not fashionable about anything. Functional drives me. The tire I ordered is an increase to 30" which I will be using when the stocks need replace. Here's what I ordered...

Ebay I.T.P. 1528645536B Hurricane Wheel Black 15X7 4/137 5+2
$99.45

Rocky Mountain ATV
GBC Kanati Mongrel Radial Tire 30x10-15 $164.88

#41 ·
#42 ·
a cheap backup camera fixes rear visibility. I have mine wired full time so can see who is behind me on trail. Stays pretty clean so seldom need to clean. Put freeze bag over 7" screen when washing. I hard wire (on / off with key) rather than bluetooth cause it eliminates needed rear power source.

How long have you had this? And any issues? That is really cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.