Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
i would definitely get a spare tire and mount. but most spare tire mounts are high mounts which are dangerous and i would never put one on unless you are only going to be driving at grandpa speeds which defeats the purpose of the honda talon(buy a queen jeep instead). a rear low mount away from the trunk area is what i have been waiting for. i am tired of waiting for one and looks like i am going to build one for my self. yes get the spare or regret it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i would definitely get a spare tire and mount. but most spare tire mounts are high mounts which are dangerous and i would never put one on unless you are only going to be driving at grandpa speeds which defeats the purpose of the honda talon(buy a queen jeep instead). a rear low mount away from the trunk area is what i have been waiting for. i am tired of waiting for one and looks like i am going to build one for my self. yes get the spare or regret it.
Did you see mine? From dirtroad fabrication? It's as low as you can put one without obstructing your departure angle I think.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
28 Posts

I picked the jsportsxs carrier because it keeps the center of gravity low and toward the rear. It also lifts, so you can put a fair bit of stuff underneath (but not room for a cooler). Also, I could see over the tire if a cared to, but I run side mirrors so that isn't an issue for me. If you really want to keep it low and basic, just lay the tire in the bottom of the bed and stack your stuff on top of it..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did you see mine? From dirtroad fabrication? It's as low as you can put one without obstructing your departure angle I think.
I really like the Dirt Road Fabrication tailgate! It looks great and useful. That's the one I've been debating. I also have liked the extended Axiom tailgate for a cheaper option.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
28 Posts
Thinking about it now, I do see the wisdom in having a second spare that you leave on the trailer. Many places we go are so remote, there would never be a chance of replacing a spare. If you have to use your single spare, you are then left with none. At least with two you can run back to camp and grab the second one....and not ruin your whole trip

·
Registered
93 Posts
But what happens is you get a flat, put the spare on and go back to the trailer only to get another flat after you got your second spare? Then what? Huh? Yeah that's right, your weekend is over. That's exactly why I just traded my Talon on a Polaris Ranger 6x6. But now that I think about it maybe I made a mistake. With 6 tires I think I'm more likely to get a flat. So I just ordered 2 spares to carry in the bed and 2 spares to leave on the trailer. I think that should cover it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice setup! What fire extinguisher mount are you running? I see you have a Ram tablet mount, what one are you using and which mapping app are you using?
Fire extinguisher mount is from dragonfire racing. The mount is from the build your mount section on ram mounts website. It fits my iPad gen 7 with a otterbox case. I use on x offroad for navigation. It's by far the best offroad I could find. Cost is 40 bucks a year. Well worth it. Very small learning curve.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Fire extinguisher mount is from dragonfire racing. The mount is from the build your mount section on ram mounts website. It fits my iPad gen 7 with a otterbox case. I use on x offroad for navigation. It's by far the best offroad I could find. Cost is 40 bucks a year. Well worth it. Very small learning curve.
Awesome, I use Onx off-road too! I went with the Samsung Tab A because it only cost $150. The dang ram mount was more😝🧐

Any rattle, looseness with the dragon fire? I think I read a complaint on it, but could have been another.

·
Registered
285 Posts
When using the Onx off-road in track up mode, do you find it doesn’t quite line up with direct you are heading?

·
Registered
18 Posts
When using the Onx off-road in track up mode, do you find it doesn’t quite line up with direct you are heading?
The fire extinguisher only has one pin which does allow it to rattle some. Takes some time to adjust it. Look into the element fire extinguisher. On x sometimes starts off with wierd tracking but usually straightens out after a couple miles.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The fire extinguisher only has one pin which does allow it to rattle some. Takes some time to adjust it. Look into the element fire extinguisher. On x sometimes starts off with wierd tracking but usually straightens out after a couple miles.
Wow, never heard of Element. That is a fantastic option for the SXS, toy hauler and anywhere really. Thanks! that would be a good post on the forum too.

on OnX, at least with my tablet it swings around to 20-40 degrees off and is almost more confusing than north up. I am working with OnX support. My iPhone does better but there are times it is off just enough to screw me up when i have to choose between multiple trail close together. Still the best maps I have found. I run OnX Hunt too, it shows property better so I don’t get on someones private property or restricted areas.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I bought a spare tire mount. It is a high mount that gives decent visibility if I duck down a little. Now I need to get a spare.

·
Registered
2021 Talon1000x-4
3 Posts
Seems all the spare options I find are for 2 seaters, at least when I read the descriptions on the websit. I have a 20211000x-4.......anyone come across a good spare mount option?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Seems all the spare options I find are for 2 seaters, at least when I read the descriptions on the websit. I have a 20211000x-4.......anyone come across a good spare mount option?
Dirt road fabrication has a tailgate with spare tire mount option for a Talon 4-seater. I really like their setup but it is fairly expensive. But I like how it's a swing away tailgate and spare tire carrier. You can even have it come with ropax mounts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I bought a spare tire mount. It is a high mount that gives decent visibility if I duck down a little. Now I need to get a spare.
Followup: I ordered a spare wheel and tire. I had no luck finding take offs or used. A spare doesn't need to match the others and I'm not fashionable about anything. Functional drives me. The tire I ordered is an increase to 30" which I will be using when the stocks need replace. Here's what I ordered...

Ebay I.T.P. 1528645536B Hurricane Wheel Black 15X7 4/137 5+2
$99.45

Rocky Mountain ATV
GBC Kanati Mongrel Radial Tire 30x10-15 $164.88

21 - 40 of 45 Posts