Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X-4 Talon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, tell me why I shouldn't put some foam pipe insulation over the metal radiator pipes? Just over the metal part, not the rubber hose. I think that would help the heat in the cab issue we all have. I can't imagine that the engineers that designed the radiator system included that pipe in their cooling calculations.
So, what say you??

·
Registered
2021 Talon X4, 32" BFG's and two car seats
36 Posts
I think it is safe to assume that the cooling provided by the metal piping IS accounted for in the cooling system engineering calculations. However, given that the piping is within an enclosed area with limited convective cooling, the cooling provided by the piping is probably minimal but not negligible.

I plan on doing the same thing you are talking about and I live in Phoenix. To make sure that I dont heat up the motor too much, I plan on simultaneously installing a coolant temp gauge to more closely monitor engine temps.

·
Registered
2021 1000X-4 Talon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Buckeye. Small world.
Im in the process of installing the DEI talon heat shield, along with some aluminium radiant barrier on the underside of the tunnel and fire wall and behind the rear seats. I also installed the jeep shifter boot.
How do you install a temp gauge? Is there a sending unit that you splice into?

·
Registered
2021 Talon X4, 32" BFG's and two car seats
36 Posts
Im in the process of installing the DEI talon heat shield, along with some aluminium radiant barrier on the underside of the tunnel and fire wall and behind the rear seats. I also installed the jeep shifter boot.
I havent done it yet but plan on doing something similar to what @19PSU88 did in this thread: Engine Coolant Hose Size for Temp Sensor | Honda Talon Forum (talonsxsforum.com)

·
Registered
2021 1000X-4 Talon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh that's perfect.
I wonder what the normal operating temp is for these machines?
I looked up the melting tempo of the foam pipe insulation I have and it's between 200-250 degrees. So im going looking for a higher temp product.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The highest I have seen on the gauge is 220F, fan kicks in and drops down below 200F.

This corresponds to 2 fans on the display, never seen 3 fans, I think 2 fans comes on before thermostat comes on....

·
Registered
2021 1000x 4 Live Valve
79 Posts
JEEP SHIFTER BOOT????? I've been looking for a solution to the gaping heat producer in the middle. Any jeep boot?

·
Registered
2021 1000X-4 Talon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JEEP SHIFTER BOOT????? I've been looking for a solution to the gaping heat producer in the middle. Any jeep boot?
Here is the one I bought on Amazon. Omix-Ada 18606.03 Transfer Case Shifter Boot https://a.co/d/aYIDa1K

It's a CJ5 or CJ7 1977 thru 1979 transfer case boot. You put it in upside down and trim off the first skirt. There are plenty of you tube videos... search talon shifter Boot install.

·
Registered
2021 1000x 4 Live Valve
79 Posts
Thank You so much ! I've been trying to figure out how to fix this, but being old, I was thinking the old sliding cover like we had in the 70's on our floor shifters

1 - 10 of 10 Posts