Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's not necessary to put spacers on if you switch to the same size wheels, but your rear will be 3" narrower than the front due to the stock wheels being wider in the rear. Honda made the rear axle narrower so the wider wheels will be the same outside measurement as the front. I put on 1.5" spacers on rear so the same size wheel and tires are the same measurement all the way around.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Need advice about Tires & Rims

This is my First 2019 Talon R

I choose Honda over Polaris

Bottom line

I choose Reliability Over Turbo

Anyways

I was told 32” tires is too much for Talon R

My next Question :
The stock is 15 “ right

I’m looking at KJ Motorsports Site
Is this the Best Tire & Rim site ?

Should I Run 14” or 15” Rims
And what’s the difference ?

Why would you want to go To 14” ?
I was told BeadLock Rims is the Best ?
And Method Rims ?

Do I need Wheel Spacers ?

I’m not looking to Race
Just like an Local Desert or So Cal Mountaina

Like AT Tire tire versus the stock knobby tire

I know this I’m going to “Go 30””
Verses. 32 “ Tires
what about 31 “ Tires ???

Thanks fellow UTV Honda
Hi, I went to the STI comps and the new sti tires. I went with 14” sti comp bead lock. A 6+1 in the front and a 4+3 in the rear. They made these rims for these machines as well as the tires. Mine are 30”x10x14 and 10 ply even on side walls. Also dot rated. Love them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you are running the same offset on all four wheels then you will want to put 1 1/2 inch spacers on the rear to even it out. Essentially you'd be fine without the spacers but you will be 3" narrower in the rear than the front.
I'm at a loss with off sets. I understand 5" from inside rim to hub surface. But how can going from 28" tires to 30" tires have anything to do with changing off set? Nothing changed except the height of the machine. How would that make the rear more narrow than the front? I need to find a lesson on off sets.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm at a loss with off sets. I understand 5" from inside rim to hub surface. But how can going from 28" tires to 30" tires have anything to do with changing off set? Nothing changed except the height of the machine. How would that make the rear more narrow than the front? I need to find a lesson on off sets.
Yep I get it I will try to explain. The Honda Talon, whether it is the R or the X, is 3" narrower, actually like 3.1-3.2, in the rear then the front. So if you get matching offset wheels you are automatically be roughly 3 in narrower in the rear. That is the reason for inch and a half spacers. Your stock wheel and tire setup equals out the front and rear width with offset of rims and width of tires. I cannot remember the exact offset and width of the stock front and rear wheels. But the stock tires are 11-in wide in the rear and 9 in wide in the front. Now tires are not true to actual size a lot of times. Anyway when you put matching 10-in wide tires on the stock wheels you are essentially going an inch wider in tread pattern in the front and an inch narrower in tread pattern in the rear. That obviously does not matter when you put matching rims all the way around. There are aftermarket rims that have different offsets that can basically get you to the same width without having to use a spacer in the rear. That makes rotating your tires and having a spare a little more difficult. That is why most people run the spacers. A 6+1 in the front and a 4+3 in the rear Will even out your track with without needing rear spacers. Hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Honda Talon, whether it is the R or the X, is 3" narrower, in the rear then the front. So if you get matching offset wheels you are automatically be roughly 3 in narrower in the rear. That is the reason for inch and a half spacers. Your stock wheel and tire setup equals out the front and rear width with offset of rims and width of tires. Anyway when you put matching 10-in wide tires on the stock wheels you are essentially going an inch wider in tread pattern in the front and an inch narrower in tread pattern in the rear. That obviously does not matter when you put matching rims all the way around. There are aftermarket rims that have different offsets that can basically get you to the same width without having to use a spacer in the rear. That makes rotating your tires and having a spare a little more difficult. That is why most people run the spacers. A 6+1 in the front and a 4+3 in the rear Will even out your track with without needing rear spacers. Hopefully that helps.
My first thought is, if the stock machine has 3" wider front, Honda designed it that way for a reason. Why assume others know a better design?
Would a stock rear work as a spare on the front? A neighbor has a newer one. My understanding of 5+2 was 5" from the inner bead location to the surface the wheel mates the hub. And 2" from the outer bead to the same surface. That must be wrong because a 2" wider wheel would be 6+3.
How adversely is handling affected if a 10" tire is on a 9" or 11" wheel? Loosing a little grip being smaller.
Is there a combination of 9" and 11" wheels that might work by carrying a spacer to use with the spare?

·
Registered
145 Posts
My first thought is, if the stock machine has 3" wider front, Honda designed it that way for a reason. Why assume others know a better design?
Would a stock rear work as a spare on the front? A neighbor has a newer one. My understanding of 5+2 was 5" from the inner bead location to the surface the wheel mates the hub. And 2" from the outer bead to the same surface. That must be wrong because a 2" wider wheel would be 6+3.
How adversely is handling affected if a 10" tire is on a 9" or 11" wheel? Loosing a little grip being smaller.
Is there a combination of 9" and 11" wheels that might work by carrying a spacer to use with the spare?
One thing to note is the 5+2, 6+1, 4+3, or any other like that is not the true number to go off of. The manufactures actually have different mm spacing from 1 manufactures 5+2 to another manufactures 5+2 making one of them not really a 5+2. I have 2 different styles of rims from the same manufacturer and they are a different mm while they are both called 5+2. One of my 5+2 is a +38 and the other is like a +10 (which is actually more like a 4+3) but still called a 5+2. Some manufactures 5+2 is a +40. So basically look at the mm not the 5+2.

Honda didn't technically make the machine narrower in the rear, just in the hub to hub. They use different offsets on the wheels and different size tires front to rim to end up with the exact same track width front to rear. In order to maintain that same car width once you go to a different wheel you will either have to do it with different offsets on the wheels (6+1 in the front and 4+3 in the rear) or you will have to put a 1.5 inch spacer on the back in order to have all the hub to hub measurements the same and keep the car width equal front to rear. Hope that makes sense!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I really appreciate the in depth answers you give. I do try to find answers without bothering forum members. Many times I give up and ask on the forums. Today I found the best site with explanations and pictures concerning offsets. The affects of Wheel offset and suspension performance . This link is 5 years old. But I think anyone changing wheels, spacers, or tires would benefit reading it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I really appreciate the in depth answers you give. I do try to find answers without bothering forum members. Many times I give up and ask on the forums. Today I found the best site with explanations and pictures concerning offsets. The affects of Wheel offset and suspension performance . This link is 5 years old. But I think anyone changing wheels, spacers, or tires would benefit reading it.
You are no bother at all to me! That is what these forums are for. I've needed them many of times. I am not the best at explaining stuff in typed form! :geek:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have my spare tire carrier mounted. Now I need a spare. I haven't had time to research what will fit. Since I know someone with a new rear Talon X tire for sale, that would be an easy buy. But I don't know what the off set is, and I still don't know if there would be any interference problems. And if I eventually want go to a 30" tire, would it still fit? Any thoughts about this fit?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have me spare tire carrier mounted. Now I need a spare. I haven't had time to research what will fit. Since I know someone with a new rear Talon X tire for sale, that would be an easy buy. But I don't know what the off set is, and I still don't know if there would be any interference problems. And if I eventually went to a 30" tire, would it still fit? Any thoughts about this fit?
I think I'm going to sell my oem tires and wheels eventually, and purchase a rim and tire to match the ones that I have. I went with 30" tires and it would be best to stay with the same diameter for much extended riding, not really necessary for short slow riding though. The original front tire and wheel would work on both the front and rear to get you home in my opinion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have my spare tire carrier mounted. Now I need a spare. I haven't had time to research what will fit. Since I know someone with a new rear Talon X tire for sale, that would be an easy buy. But I don't know what the off set is, and I still don't know if there would be any interference problems. And if I eventually want go to a 30" tire, would it still fit? Any thoughts about this fit?
Followup on my Mongrel tire spare. Here it is:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts