Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, looking at buying a set of tires for my 2021 1000X-4. I'm going to be running the stock wheels for now at least and had a few questions. a friend of mine that has a 2020 1000X-4 is running stock wheels with 30x9.50r15 truck tires with spacers in the rear and has no complaints which is one option. I found a cheaper set of tires that I like the tread pattern more on as it's one I used on a few wranglers in a 235 75 15 again in a truck tire. I live on the east coast up here in Maine and have a few restrictions a new state law is the machine cannot be over 65" wide to be registered for the trails and cannot be over 2,000 pounds. also I really don't want to ruin the ride or handling characteristics but a long lasting tough tire has me intrigued, has anyone run either size and have any opinions on how either would look again I'm leaning towards the 235 75 15 any help would be greatly appreciated 馃憤

Registered
2021 Talon X4, 32" BFG's and two car seats
An LT tire has a significantly more rigid sidewall than a UTV tire. These tires will not flex and absorb bumps and rocks like a UTV tire will. This will translate to a stiffer ride. That may be fine on pavement and maybe even on hard pack graded dirt roads. But on washboard roads, trails and rocks, LT tires will create a significantly more harsh ride. A "P" tire will have similar effects to an LT tire but to a slightly lesser degree.

Most folks who run factory wheels, run either four front wheels or four rear wheels with a 1.5" or 1.25" spacer in the rear. I run 32" BFG MT2-UTV tires on four factory rear wheels with 1.25" spacers in the rear. This set-up well works for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An LT tire has a significantly more rigid sidewall than a UTV tire. These tires will not flex and absorb bumps and rocks like a UTV tire will. This will translate to a stiffer ride. That may be fine on pavement and maybe even on hard pack graded dirt roads. But on washboard roads, trails and rocks, LT tires will create a significantly more harsh ride. A "P" tire will have similar effects to an LT tire but to a slightly lesser degree.

Most folks who run factory wheels, run either four front wheels or four rear wheels with a 1.5" or 1.25" spacer in the rear. I run 32" BFG MT2-UTV tires on four factory rear wheels with 1.25" spacers in the rear. This set-up well works for me.

that's some great information, our trails up here are a mix of paved roads, dirt logging roads but then again alot of in the woods with rocks that are tighter and I am limited to the width now with that new law. I guess I don't mind if it's alittle rougher I just don't want night and day.. I was really hoping to just use I have now for wheels.

Registered
that's some great information, our trails up here are a mix of paved roads, dirt logging roads but then again alot of in the woods with rocks that are tighter and I am limited to the width now with that new law. I guess I don't mind if it's alittle rougher I just don't want night and day.. I was really hoping to just use I have now for wheels.
I have never used LT or P tires on a UTV, so I can't tell you if the difference is night and day. But from what I have read, most people regret it and quickly revert to UTV tires or keep two sets of tires, one for pavement and one for trails.

You can use the factory front and rear wheels and they work just fine. But just know that the wheels are different widths (F-6.5" R-8"). This creates several issues. If you get a flat rear tire, the front tire and wheel combo cannot be used on the rear because the tire will rub on the trailing arm unless you add a 1.25" or larger spacer. There are several solutions for this: 1) Carry two spare tires, one for the front, one for the rear. 2) Buy custom wheels with the same width and offset and use 1.25"+ spacers in the rear (depending on your offset). 3) Obtain matching sets of factory front wheels and run them at all four corners (you will need 1.25'+ spacers in the rear). 4) Obtain a matching set of factory rear wheels and run them at all corners. However, this might put you slightly over the 65" width limitation.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never used LT or P tires on a UTV, so I can't tell you if the difference is night and day. But from what I have read, most people regret it and quickly revert to UTV tires or keep two sets of tires, one for pavement and one for trails.

You can use the factory front and rear wheels and they work just fine. But just know that the wheels are different widths (F-6.5" R-8"). This creates several issues. If you get a flat rear tire, the front tire and wheel combo cannot be used on the rear because the tire will rub on the trailing arm unless you add a 1.25" or larger spacer. There are several solutions for this: 1) Carry two spare tires, one for the front, one for the rear. 2) Buy custom wheels with the same width and offset and use 1.25"+ spacers in the rear (depending on your offset). 3) Obtain matching sets of factory front wheels and run them at all four corners (you will need 1.25'+ spacers in the rear). 4) Obtain a matching set of factory rear wheels and run them at all corners. However, this might put you slightly over the 65" width limitation.
it sounds like it might benefit by sourcing a set of front wheels for the rear and running 1.25 or 1.50 spacers and the same size tire all around? I really wanted to stay around a 29-30 in tire max but the 15 wheel and odd tire size on the talon is just confusing. would possibly a set of 30x10x15 all around on front wheels with a spacer keep me under the 65"?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably??? Cant say for sure. If you run 1.5" spacers and front wheels in the rear, rear width should be 64ish inches.

lol I will have to look around to see if I can get an exact measurement just to be safe. do you have any tire recommendations? I guess if I go this route its looking like a 30x10x15. I want something that obviously has some grab but not obnoxious and I do run it in the snow so that is something I need to consider too.. sorry for sounding like a noob but I'm a noob to the utv tire world. I always ran the swamp lites, or the Kenda executioners on my atvs and was a little overkill but on the other hand I don't want to wish I had the extra traction at some point ( I know I want the best of both worlds which obviously isn't possible)

Registered
lol I will have to look around to see if I can get an exact measurement just to be safe. do you have any tire recommendations? I guess if I go this route its looking like a 30x10x15. I want something that obviously has some grab but not obnoxious and I do run it in the snow so that is something I need to consider too.. sorry for sounding like a noob but I'm a noob to the utv tire world. I always ran the swamp lites, or the Kenda executioners on my atvs and was a little overkill but on the other hand I don't want to wish I had the extra traction at some point ( I know I want the best of both worlds which obviously isn't possible)
I cant recommend a tire for snow or mud. I ride in AZ mostly where there is alot of rock. I do like my BFG's MT2's because of their durability but I dont know how they perform in snow.
Consider posting a thread asking what other folks use for snow/winter/trail tires in the northeastern US...

Registered
I'm in the northwest and was thinking about the same thing. I was lucky to get a full spare set of almost new takeoff tires and wheels, so am thinking about running BFG's on the 4 fronts during the summer and running the 4 stock rears all the way around during the winter. I have the R so shouldn't be any rubbing with the wider fronts during winter but am not sure if this would work for an X. Will probably buy one more new front wheel to use as a summer spare.

Will run 1.5" spacers in the rear for both sets. For winter, may even run a couple sheetmetal screws in each lug for when roads and trails get icy.

I would also welcome any thoughts others have about what to run in winter.

Registered
Have u looked at the bfg km3 utv tire. Probably about close best both worlds looks like. That my pick still wearing down my stocks for now. My only thought about using stock rims is would change height the rear tire being on wider rim?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have u looked at the bfg km3 utv tire. Probably about close best both worlds looks like. That my pick still wearing down my stocks for now. My only thought about using stock rims is would change height the rear tire being on wider rim?

I'm unsure of the height issue myself, there is alot more to this than I was hoping for 馃槓 I contacted another friend and he is also running 30x9.50r15 tires km3 truck rated tires on his stock wheels with a rear spacer. I may just end up going this route for simplicity and cost savings which would allow for a set of system 3 beadlocks same offset and run a spacer in the rear to allow for a spare to be used and same rims front and rear as I have looked at take off wheels and they are also expensive..

Registered
I鈥檓 in south Florida. Ride in deep brown sugar sand in the winter and straight up mud and water in the summer. No real in between. I installed 1.5鈥 forward a arms. And I have 1.5鈥 wheel spacers. This allows me to run fuel wheels (18鈥) with 34x10x18 motoravage tires. No rubs! Rides smooth. All works as should. In the summer months I run 20鈥 fuel wheels with 33x9.5x20 utv super swampers boggers. No rubs. Goes through everything with extreme prejudice!!! Rides smooth on hard pack also. I have 2020 Honda talon 1000x-4. I have stock rims and tires I would sell to anybody interested. Don鈥檛 plan to ever use them again. This being said I went thru 5 differant sets of rims/tires to find what works best for my style of riding.

Registered
hello everyone, looking at buying a set of tires for my 2021 1000X-4. I'm going to be running the stock wheels for now at least and had a few questions. a friend of mine that has a 2020 1000X-4 is running stock wheels with 30x9.50r15 truck tires with spacers in the rear and has no complaints which is one option. I found a cheaper set of tires that I like the tread pattern more on as it's one I used on a few wranglers in a 235 75 15 again in a truck tire. I live on the east coast up here in Maine and have a few restrictions a new state law is the machine cannot be over 65" wide to be registered for the trails and cannot be over 2,000 pounds. also I really don't want to ruin the ride or handling characteristics but a long lasting tough tire has me intrigued, has anyone run either size and have any opinions on how either would look again I'm leaning towards the 235 75 15 any help would be greatly appreciated 馃憤
Look at the 30 inch Tusk Terribites from Rocky Mountain. They fit perfect on the stock rims, no spacers and look and perform great.

Registered
Fronts work on all 4 corners. It is owner preference if they also add 1.5" spacers to the rear to square it back up like it came from Honda. For me spacers are the best way to go, but others like a narrower rear for certain types of driving. Again, spacers or not is personal preference.

Rears also work on all 4 corners--if you have an R (and, I understand from others, also on the X with some modifications to the front suspension). Similarly, running 4 rears also leads to the same personal preference issue whether or not to run 1.5" spacers on the rear, again to square it back up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Look at the 30 inch Tusk Terribites from Rocky Mountain. They fit perfect on the stock rims, no spacers and look and perform great.
I looked at the terribites in both compounds and thought that was a good looking tire but the problem is our state law is 65" width is the maximum and this is a new law this year and they are really pushing it. The machine is 64 stock so if I go with the the 30x10 wide I will be over the width mark so I think my only options to stay with a 15 is truck tires or stay stock..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I鈥檓 in south Florida. Ride in deep brown sugar sand in the winter and straight up mud and water in the summer. No real in between. I installed 1.5鈥 forward a arms. And I have 1.5鈥 wheel spacers. This allows me to run fuel wheels (18鈥) with 34x10x18 motoravage tires. No rubs! Rides smooth. All works as should. In the summer months I run 20鈥 fuel wheels with 33x9.5x20 utv super swampers boggers. No rubs. Goes through everything with extreme prejudice!!! Rides smooth on hard pack also. I have 2020 Honda talon 1000x-4. I have stock rims and tires I would sell to anybody interested. Don鈥檛 plan to ever use them again. This being said I went thru 5 differant sets of rims/tires to find what works best for my style of riding.
I may be interested in the wheels.. is there a way to message me directly?

Registered
I looked at the terribites in both compounds and thought that was a good looking tire but the problem is our state law is 65" width is the maximum and this is a new law this year and they are really pushing it. The machine is 64 stock so if I go with the the 30x10 wide I will be over the width mark so I think my only options to stay with a 15 is truck tires or stay stock..
Do a google search. There are a few 30X9.5X15 UTV tires out there. For instance, the BFGoodrich庐 Baja T/A庐 KR2-SC UTV Tire and the EFX Motovator both come in a 30X9.5X15 and I'm sure there are more.

Registered
Check your law closely to see how vehicle width is defined in your state. Some states define it as outside of wheel to outside of wheel, and not counting mirrors. If you are lucky and this definition is used, then tire width is not considered.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts