Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandson and I are traveling 360 miles each way tomorrow to pick up a new Talon X at a Tennessee dealer. We'll be trailering it back home on a car hauler trailer with deck mounted D rings.

I have a stack of 3" ratchet straps and a set of axle straps. to secure the Talon.

Where do experienced owners attach tie-down hooks or axle straps on a Talon? I don't want to bend axles or suspension arms.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use the front and rear bumpers. Just loop through them. Welcome and hope you have a safe trip back.
Thanks for the info and well wishes. My Talon will be factory original tomorrow so no bumpers to attacj stra[s tp/

·
Registered
19 Posts
It comes with small front bumper that works good for tie down, The rear has a strong frame section in the center where both rear suspensions attach.
If you are going to Abernathy's, they will be out there tying it down for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It comes with small front bumper that works good for tie down, The rear has a strong frame section in the center where both rear suspensions attach.
If you are going to Abernathy's, they will be out there tying it down for you.

Thanks. That's helpful information. I recall the small front bumper seen in photos now that you mentioned it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wrap around the vertical tubes of the frame in the front and the triangular gusset in the rear. The stock bumper is sheet-metal on the bottom. Much better to connect to the frame it-self.

Good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Long term you may look at Wheel Bonnets with wheel chalks. Nothing bounces or moves so straps stay tight and shocks aren't tensioned on long hauls. I haul inside enclosed and you only get to see whats happening s=when stop.
Mac's are probably the best, but above most peoples budget. A couple sets of these are reasonable as long as tires are not too big. Northern Tool & Harbor Freight (Chineese store) both sell wheel bonnets too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wrap around the vertical tubes of the frame in the front and the triangular gusset in the rear. The stock bumper is sheet-metal on the bottom. Much better to connect to the frame it-self.

Good luck
My grandson loaded the Talon on my car trailer yesterday and tied it down while I was paying for it and signing paperwork. He used the method you suggested. He's owned 4wheelers and SxSs for years and has had a lot of experience trailering them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Long term you may look at Wheel Bonnets with wheel chalks. Nothing bounces or moves so straps stay tight and shocks aren't tensioned on long hauls. I haul inside enclosed and you only get to see whats happening s=when stop.
Mac's are probably the best, but above most peoples budget. A couple sets of these are reasonable as long as tires are not too big. Northern Tool & Harbor Freight (Chineese store) both sell wheel bonnets too.

I like the Wheel Bonnets you suggested. I'll order a set of four from the Communist tool store today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sure the bonnets will work fine for something as light as a SXS. We have always sucked the chassis down by the frame on anything larger. When you have long suspension vehicles that weight more than the trailer, it's never a good idea to let them bounce on their own. They can develop a harmonic that can lead to disaster.

·
Registered
2020 Talon 1000x4
27 Posts
I'm sure the bonnets will work fine for something as light as a SXS. We have always sucked the chassis down by the frame on anything larger. When you have long suspension vehicles that weight more than the trailer, it's never a good idea to let them bounce on their own. They can develop a harmonic that can lead to disaster.
I agree 100% I towed jeeps and with no sway bars you always load suspension. Id hate to see a 4500lb jeep flopping all over because it was easier to tie the tires. Most people dont understand the concept.

·
Registered
73 Posts
you can always add frame pull downs to stop sway, just have seen a lot of vehicles with the straps come lose and dragging along behind the trailer. Can't do too many tie downs. if really concerned go to chains like they do when strapping down tractors

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agree with BJ. Love the Erickson tie down system. Even works with my 32's.

Good info on the 32's, Terry, since the website says up to 30". Is this the same set you have (e-trailer link)? Did you mount with Carriage bolts w/ washers? Curious if a backing plate on the nut side is recommended. Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
as with any tie down, it is only as good as the support under it. Plates with bolt holes or even straps that cross under braces. Obviously if you just tie to a board and board is not substancially tied down, not a good deal. Do your home work rather than having bad day at the beach.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts