Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAn you tie down the talon LV for long trips from good tie down points or do you need to tie down around the tires? I heard you can mess up the LV if it’s tied down wrong, didn’t know if there was any truth to that or not... thanks in advance

·
Registered
121 Posts
In owner's manual for my R (non LV) it is very clear how Honda recommends you tie down.

So, do what your manual says for your Live Valve

2 seater LV manual says...

4 Seater LV manual says the same thing...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2021 LV X4 and tie it down just as the manual Paul posted says to do with MAC Straps. In addition to that I put Erickson over the tire 2" straps with the rail system. Lastly I engage my Hillbilly brake.

Is it overkill? Probably, but I know the Talon is secure. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2020 R
13 Posts
+1 for the hillbilly brake.

Over the wheel straps using a rail like the e track system are best, second best would be strapping it to unsprung parts like Shock Therapy shows I’m a video and third best would be to do it like Honda shows. It’s not the best idea to strap vehicles down to parts that move up and down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talked to Honda dealer and they said strap it like they show in manual but for the live valve leave it running until straps are tight and don’t get crazy with the straps they said people are cranking them down and then receiving the suspension light , thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
1000X4 Live Valve, on order
9 Posts
For what it's worth, I've hauled my Talon LV X4 from PA to SD and back and from PA to CO and back with Vulcan tire straps. Over the 6k plus miles the Talon hasn't moved on the trailer. And there are no suspension light worries or rubbed paint.
Darn nice setup.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
86 Posts
I tie my LV down just like the manual says. I squat the suspension a couple inches, with no issues. I have seen the Shock Therapy video, and can't figure out what that guy's problem is! My utility trailer is very tight so it's not going anywhere anyway. All I really need to do is keep it from tipping over and falling off the trailer (12" rails).

In the toy hauler I mostly want to just keep it from sliding back and forth, so I pick the shackles that are furthest away so the straps have a long stretch. No real compression of the suspension.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have seen the Shock Therapy video, and can't figure out what that guy's problem is!
1/3 of what he says is factual, 1/3 is ill advised and the other 1/3 is sales BS.

Problem is trying to figure out what category his discussion falls under???

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
86 Posts
On mountain roads, driving behind people who just tie down their tires....I watch their SXS flop around on the trailer. Not a great towing setup. Just squat the suspension with the tiedowns and there is none of that!

·
Registered
111 Posts
On mountain roads, driving behind people who just tie down their tires....I watch their SXS flop around on the trailer. Not a great towing setup. Just squat the suspension with the tiedowns and there is none of that!
There isn't anything wrong with squatting the suspension as long as you use carabiner style hooks. Ive seen a lot of cars, sxss, and motorcycles come loose because a big bump or pothole is hit, the suspension compresses, the strap comes loose and the straps hook comes free of its D ring. I totally disagree with your assessment that the tire bonnets are "not a great way to tie down". There is a reason car transportation companies use them. Like I said in my original post, I have about 7,000 miles on my straps in all kinds of terrain. Hills, mountains, windy 2 lane, high speed interstate, high speed washboard dirt in Colorado and South Dakota, swerved to miss an accident on I80 near Chicago etc. The Talon never moved. I definitely recommend the Vulcan tire straps. The hooks are caribiner style for added safety as well.

·
Registered
2020 R
13 Posts
In regards to the shock therapy video on how to tie down a sxs: I don’t think he is trying to sell anything in that video. If I remember correctly he does a plug for a ratchet strap company they use no big deal. That being said I could be wrong it’s been a while since I’ve watched it. Buuut Those guys have a ton of knowledge within the industry. I get that their suspension setups don’t work for a lot of folks but I by no means consider most of what they say BS. They have been in the game for a long time and the knowledge they put out for free would take years to learn on your own. Sure he bad mouths Honda’s geometry but they aren’t wrong. Go ride in a Pro XP and tell me our Talons are anywhere close to what Polaris provides from the factory. You can’t

As for the tie downs the very best way is strapping the tires with an e track system. That is fact. Second best is to tie down to an A arm that does not compress when you hit bumps. Last is strapping your rig down by compressing the suspension. I don’t feel you can argue that. No car hauler hooks up to the frame or any part of the car that moves. If it isn’t safe for a car and it’s not safe for a sxs that has 10 times the suspesion travel.

I respect the hell out of a lot of the folks that bad mouth shock therapy on this site because the folks here know their shiz. but on this topic I disagre.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts