Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some rainy weather so worked in some time in Moab. Honestly, for the night rides, I can not say enough good things about Sector Seven lights for this type of riding. Amazing product!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
69 Posts
It looks to me like the Polaris you ride with has the Pro Armor Crawler XG's tires on it? I am seriously considering those for my Talon. I was curious if you had any good or bad thoughts on them? I actually just bought some 30" XG for our YXZ (it was a good wheel/tire package deal) but they haven't come in yet so I don't have any real experience with them. I was just watching your Behind the Rocks video!)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not a big fan of Pro Armors on a Talon because they have a square edge on the outer edge. The Talon excels at handling and driving experience so thinner/lighter rounded edge tires mingle better with the Honda handling. At least for Moab and fast Utah dirt. However, I tend to ride our Talon like my motocross bike, so I want something that handles good, is 10 ply and light. . I feel the Pro Amors and sketchy as hell when being pushed hard, but then again, it could be the RZR. lol . My buddy with the RZR is happy with the Pro Armors for the most part. He has bought maybe 4 pairs on his RZR. We would both agree they slip a lot more and have far less traction on slick rock than say ITP or Kanati (mongrels or terramasters), and because the tread is deep, they float on fast gravel dry stuff, which is scary. On contrast they are pretty good in Mud, and snow. My buddy claims the 32" Pro Armors are miles above the 30" because at lower pressure he can get more sidewall flex which helps on slickrock. I also think the tread is too deep on the XG's for slickrock and each tread flexes too much under steep climbs, causing the slipping, not really because of the tire rubber compound. If you want a more open tread I know someone that has put the Tusk Terrabites on his Talon, 32", and says they are still nimble but you get 10 ply's. I was pretty impressed watching him get up stuff and thru deep dry sand with those.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Pro Armors on a Talon because they have a square edge on the outer edge. The Talon excels at handling and driving experience so thinner/lighter rounded edge tires mingle better with the Honda handling. At least for Moab and fast Utah dirt. However, I tend to ride our Talon like my motocross bike, so I want something that handles good, is 10 ply and light. . I feel the Pro Amors and sketchy as hell when being pushed hard, but then again, it could be the RZR. lol . My buddy with the RZR is happy with the Pro Armors for the most part. He has bought maybe 4 pairs on his RZR. We would both agree they slip a lot more and have far less traction on slick rock than say ITP or Kanati (mongrels or terramasters), and because the tread is deep, they float on fast gravel dry stuff, which is scary. On contrast they are pretty good in Mud, and snow. My buddy claims the 32" Pro Armors are miles above the 30" because at lower pressure he can get more sidewall flex which helps on slickrock. I also think the tread is too deep on the XG's for slickrock and each tread flexes too much under steep climbs, causing the slipping, not really because of the tire rubber compound. If you want a more open tread I know someone that has put the Tusk Terrabites on his Talon, 32", and says they are still nimble but you get 10 ply's. I was pretty impressed watching him get up stuff and thru deep dry sand with those.
Shows how much a picture doesn't show! :p One of the reasons I wanted the XG is they looked like they were more rounded than lots of other tires, which is what I want to run on the Talon for the same reasons you stated....I drive my Talon the same way you do! I came from dirt bikes and sports cars and that's how I drive it!) I drive the YXZ the same way so I hope the tires don't completely disappoint me there. I have the MRT (Moto Race) race version on the front of my Talon right now in 30x9x15. MRT designed the Crawler XG's for Pro Armor but they are not totally the same tire. They have been awesome but they have worn fast. They are a different compound and light. The difference in compound might be the difference in grip. They made me want to try the Pro Armor's because they were lots less money. I do ride mostly Tennessee type trails. I guess at this point I will wait and see how they do on the YXZ before I buy something for my Talon. It is hard to find the perfect around tire that I like.....but my wife says I'm to anal and over think things!!🤣

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The industry causes you to get a Phd in tires!. GAWD! I've spent less time looking for homes to live in that tires for a SXS. Way too many tires with such crazy names. In MX, if you race, you buy Michelin or Dunlop and a few in desert run Maxxis, which is considered a crap-ass cheap brand. However, my buddy swears by his Pro Armors... Maybe I'm just to bias because he has spun up stuff, geared lower than me, on the same climbs. ~ all I see is the China parts when in a RZR so anything attached to it, gets a bad rap. lol I really miss my YXZ on some rides. I know in stock form the Talon is faster, but the fun factor of real shifting, the sound , ahhh! ~ there are times the YXZ is king of fun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The YXZ does sound so awesome!! Best sounding sxs in opinion. Fun factor on it is really high too!! My 15 year old boy usually drives it. It has the tubeworks 70/30 gear reduction on it too! My middle boy (12) rides a Polaris Ace 570. It is overall a pretty fun machine for what it is but I totally agree Polaris stuff is just cheap and breaks a lot! I usually am riding the talon which I agree overall I like better than the YXZ. Me and the boys are planning to take trip to Utah in this fall or spring of next year. Hopefully we can hook up and ride! I have mountain biked a lot of Moab but not been there on a SXS yet!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm running 31's. At times I wish I had got the 33's, in particular for rides like Moab Rim, Cliff Hanger in Moab, but do like the 31's better than some of my friends that have the 32's when we are running sandy roads and washes. I just had to get a thicker skid plate. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts