Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 157 miles and 11.2 hours on our '21 Talon X4 I thought I would at least change the engine oil and two filters myself since the dealer is a month out on service scheduling. We had ridden the machine only 3 times on mostly gravel roads and then some higher mountain trails on Sunday. The filter set up on the Talon engine left me rather unimpressed. What ever became of spin on filters? I can sort of understand the two oil drain plugs, if they were a little easier to access when you are laying on the ground. Then it came time to check the air filter. I think Honda's problem is that they made access and removal of the air filter too easy! (sarcasm) I think I will order the small pre-filter that goes in the air filter box that other folks have done to see if I can make the main air filter last longer. I took the filter out and blew it out with compressed air, as I have done on so many filters over the years. Honda's filter is not a dry filter, it is almost like an oiled filter so one cannot blow all the dirt out. Now I'm thinking that what ever Honda engineer that designed the air filter and placement and intake did not really know the mission of the machine, or how it would be used. Or perhaps it was on purpose, so they can sell lots of air filters? Oh well, at least the ride is not too bad, softer suspension and longer wheel base make for a much more acceptable ride then our previous 2 seat side by sides.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Trunk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Since the Honda is relatively new to the market and I came from Polaris, I did the full 1st service including the valve adjustment inspection. That is a huge expense due to the time in the manual for labor. I had mine checked twice (I have 6 K miles) it was unnecessary unless you hear noise from the valves. I would skip that inspection and save big money. My first service was $650.

The air intake system is a huge flaw. Look how dirty your filter is at 100 miles, by 300 it might be caked on enough for a change. Some guys put snorkels with a filter on top which is the cheapest option, the better is a pre-filter like S&B or KWT. I went with KWT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
At 157 miles and 11.2 hours on our '21 Talon X4 I thought I would at least change the engine oil and two filters myself since the dealer is a month out on service scheduling. We had ridden the machine only 3 times on mostly gravel roads and then some higher mountain trails on Sunday. The filter set up on the Talon engine left me rather unimpressed. What ever became of spin on filters? I can sort of understand the two oil drain plugs, if they were a little easier to access when you are laying on the ground. Then it came time to check the air filter. I think Honda's problem is that they made access and removal of the air filter too easy! (sarcasm) I think I will order the small pre-filter that goes in the air filter box that other folks have done to see if I can make the main air filter last longer. I took the filter out and blew it out with compressed air, as I have done on so many filters over the years. Honda's filter is not a dry filter, it is almost like an oiled filter so one cannot blow all the dirt out. Now I'm thinking that what ever Honda engineer that designed the air filter and placement and intake did not really know the mission of the machine, or how it would be used. Or perhaps it was on purpose, so they can sell lots of air filters? Oh well, at least the ride is not too bad, softer suspension and longer wheel base make for a much more acceptable ride then our previous 2 seat side by sides. View attachment 2519

View attachment 2520
I have a 2021 Talon 1000X Fox LV we received in April. Took it in for the "first" oil/filter as recommended at 150 miles. Had the factory air filter changed as the tec said it is "toast"!! What the hell, every 150 miles need a $50 air filter or pay $500 for installation of Honda's electrical dust exchanger. "I don't think so Tim." The parts guy recommended a UNI pre filter alternative. I purchased two. One to use and other to clean and have ready for a quick exchange. Works GREAT! Depending on how much dust we eat I only have to switch the UNI between 600 and 800 miles. I replace the factory filter about 1200 to 1500 miles. Currently have over 2,500 miles in the last 4 months. Honda needs to move the intake.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a 2021 Talon 1000X Fox LV we received in April. Took it in for the "first" oil/filter as recommended at 150 miles. Had the factory air filter changed as the tec said it is "toast"!! What the hell, every 150 miles need a $50 air filter or pay $500 for installation of Honda's electrical dust exchanger. "I don't think so Tim." The parts guy recommended a UNI pre filter alternative. I purchased two. One to use and other to clean and have ready for a quick exchange. Works GREAT! Depending on how much dust we eat I only have to switch the UNI between 600 and 800 miles. I replace the factory filter about 1200 to 1500 miles. Currently have over 2,500 miles in the last 4 months. Honda needs to move the intake.
My only concern with the uni, is having it inside the plenum. That mean you have to repeatedly open the plenum to clean the Uni. You can’t know how clogged the Uni is until you check it. Having a snorkel with the UNi on top makes sense and is a better option. The best option is a pre fil like S&B or,KWT. Be careful with those rubber seals not to crush them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just finished installing the kit. Pretty straight forward. No instructions come with the kit but there is a YouTube video from BVC if needed. The video shows them removing the upper panel over the rear tire, but I only removed the panel underneath and was able to get the factory snorkel out easily.

I wish I ordered another filter right away, now I will have to pay shipping again. They use a TRX250R filter, which is unavailable right now so I can't order one from the local dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.