Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 157 miles and 11.2 hours on our '21 Talon X4 I thought I would at least change the engine oil and two filters myself since the dealer is a month out on service scheduling. We had ridden the machine only 3 times on mostly gravel roads and then some higher mountain trails on Sunday. The filter set up on the Talon engine left me rather unimpressed. What ever became of spin on filters? I can sort of understand the two oil drain plugs, if they were a little easier to access when you are laying on the ground. Then it came time to check the air filter. I think Honda's problem is that they made access and removal of the air filter too easy! (sarcasm) I think I will order the small pre-filter that goes in the air filter box that other folks have done to see if I can make the main air filter last longer. I took the filter out and blew it out with compressed air, as I have done on so many filters over the years. Honda's filter is not a dry filter, it is almost like an oiled filter so one cannot blow all the dirt out. Now I'm thinking that what ever Honda engineer that designed the air filter and placement and intake did not really know the mission of the machine, or how it would be used. Or perhaps it was on purpose, so they can sell lots of air filters? Oh well, at least the ride is not too bad, softer suspension and longer wheel base make for a much more acceptable ride then our previous 2 seat side by sides.
honda dirty filter.jpg

honda clean filter.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts