Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, finally switching over to bigger aftermarket tires. I just received my 30x10-15 "K9's" aka "Super Grip XT" tires and planning on putting them on my stock Talon rims. My question is, how will these tires squeeze onto the narrow front stock wheels? I'm sure they'll fit fine because many here have done it. Just wondering with these wider tires squeezing onto the front Talon rims will it make the tire height increase and will these tires be more prone to wanting to pop off the bead? I'd greatly appreciate any experienced input on this matter.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
167 Posts
The stock front rims are 6.5" wide. 7" is very common and my personal preference, but there are aftermarket 6" rims out there as well. Desert racers seem to prefer 6", presumably because it profiles the tire taller, which helps avoid rim pinch flats at racing speeds.

First off, clarify that you aren't planning to try to put those tires on your wider stock REAR rims, right? With tires that size, it is common to run them on FRONT width rims all the way around (that way one spare tire size will work anywhere), and also run 1.5" spacers in the rear to make up for the width lost from the wider stock rear rims.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stock front rims are 6.5" wide. 7" is very common and my personal preference, but there are aftermarket 6" rims out there as well. Desert racers seem to prefer 6", presumably because it profiles the tire taller, which helps avoid rim pinch flats at racing speeds.

First off, clarify that you aren't planning to try to put those tires on your wider stock REAR rims, right? With tires that size, it is common to run them on FRONT width rims all the way around (that way one spare tire size will work anywhere), and also run 1.5" spacers in the rear to make up for the width lost from the wider stock rear rims.
Thanks for your help on this. Sorry for just getting back to you, my settings here didn't allow me to receive any notifications (lol). I did get the new tires on the stock rims and it looks good. Now just need to get out there and try them out. One last question about spacers. I've never used them before but is it as easy to just slip the spacers between the inner wheel and the hub where they meet? Do I need to extend the lug bolts to make up for the loss of length with the 1.5" spacer added? Thanks in advance!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.