Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my Talon down to Glamis for Halloween weekend. Was a blast. If you aren't sure about being able to have fun in the Talon at the dunes, I can assure it it's very fun. I bought my Talon used with 32" STI Chicane RXs on stock rims. I aired down to 7psi and they had plenty of traction. In a few spots it could have done better with paddles and more horsies but overall it was a blast and I was in a camp with mostly hot-rodded X3s.

This was literally my first time ever driving a UTV other than a short test drive when I bought it. My first ride was from camp to the Swingset and we didn't go the easy way. It was straight from camp into the dunes. Everyone was impressed I was able to keep up. I had one sketchy moment where I stopped on the crest of a dune because the lead car hesitated a bit and I closed too fast on him. I unloaded the wife and kid and punched it and made it down the near vertical dune without any issue. I was seriously baptised in fire for my first ever drive! The rest of my group was blown away I didn't have any real problems and kept giving me kudos for my driving for the rest of the trip.

If anyone has a suggestion for sand paddles for a low-power car, I would appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do u like the chicane tires so far. I’m torn between those and the bfg km3.
I honestly do not know enough about them to give you a valuable assessment. They are very stiff and seem like they're really tough. For the cost of them I would hope they're excellent tires that last me a long time.

I can't wait to do some exploring with the Talon here in AZ and then I'll know a little better about them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had my Talon down to Glamis for Halloween weekend. Was a blast. If you aren't sure about being able to have fun in the Talon at the dunes, I can assure it it's very fun. I bought my Talon used with 32" STI Chicane RXs on stock rims. I aired down to 7psi and they had plenty of traction. In a few spots it could have done better with paddles and more horsies but overall it was a blast and I was in a camp with mostly hot-rodded X3s.

This was literally my first time ever driving a UTV other than a short test drive when I bought it. My first ride was from camp to the Swingset and we didn't go the easy way. It was straight from camp into the dunes. Everyone was impressed I was able to keep up. I had one sketchy moment where I stopped on the crest of a dune because the lead car hesitated a bit and I closed too fast on him. I unloaded the wife and kid and punched it and made it down the near vertical dune without any issue. I was seriously baptised in fire for my first ever drive! The rest of my group was blown away I didn't have any real problems and kept giving me kudos for my driving for the rest of the trip.

If anyone has a suggestion for sand paddles for a low-power car, I would appreciate it.

I have paddles for my 2021 X-4 LV and I have been very pleased with the power and the paddles:
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

i bought these from Rocky Mountain ATV ( GMZ Sand Strippers 30x15-15 with Tusk 15x7 beadlock wheels) - They performed flawlessly. I was initially concerned about power in the dunes (I ride primarily in the sand - 450R quads before the Talon). I did get the Jackson turbo installed, but haven't had it in the sand with the turbo yet... If I had driven it on the paddles without buying the turbo already I would have to question the need for the turbo - but I am a too much power is just enough sort of guy... The stock Talon is more that capable enough (power wise) to turn the 30 inch paddles in the sand.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have paddles for my 2021 X-4 LV and I have been very pleased with the power and the paddles:
View attachment 3128
i bought these from Rocky Mountain ATV ( GMZ Sand Strippers 30x15-15 with Tusk 15x7 beadlock wheels) - They performed flawlessly. I was initially concerned about power in the dunes (I ride primarily in the sand - 450R quads before the Talon). I did get the Jackson turbo installed, but haven't had it in the sand with the turbo yet... If I had driven it on the paddles without buying the turbo already I would have to question the need for the turbo - but I am a too much power is just enough sort of guy... The stock Talon is more that capable enough (power wise) to turn the 30 inch paddles in the sand.
Nice! Thanks for the info.

I had very little issue even with the 32" Chicanes which could be about the worst sand tires you could have. With paddles I'll have plenty of confidence for anything out there except maybe trying to power straight over a dune or run up China Wall.

You don't wanna blast up over a dune anyway...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think I have the same rears (couldn't tell the size from the pics, but the same tire), I have front sand tires (razorback style with small paddles? ) that help with maneuvering using 4WD and steering up front while in the sand:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I added spacers in the rear to provide a little more width in the rear while driving in the sand.
You have a nice looking machine there!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I have the same rears (couldn't tell the size from the pics, but the same tire), I have front sand tires (razorback style with small paddles? ) that help with maneuvering using 4WD and steering up front while in the sand:
View attachment 3136
I added spacers in the rear to provide a little more width in the rear while driving in the sand.
You have a nice looking machine there!!!
Hey. What offset are the rims you have for your sand tires. The previous owner of my car put spacers on all 4 hubs and has 32s on stock rims. I understand that messes with the 'scrub radius' and can be detrimental with steering and add more leverage on the hub to break things easier.

If I put sand tires on with greater backspacing that might be really bad. So far I haven't noticed a major problem with the spacers in place but ideally I should probably get 4 matching rims and remove the front spacers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey. What offset are the rims you have for your sand tires. The previous owner of my car put spacers on all 4 hubs and has 32s on stock rims. I understand that messes with the 'scrub radius' and can be detrimental with steering and add more leverage on the hub to break things easier.

If I put sand tires on with greater backspacing that might be really bad. So far I haven't noticed a major problem with the spacers in place but ideally I should probably get 4 matching rims and remove the front spacers.

The rims are 15x7 (5+2) all the way around - one of the reasons I went with the spacers on the rear...

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have a 2020 x-4 FLV. I run 29” paddles on system 3 bead locks on the rear and 29” bighorns on the front. Standard offsets. And have nothing but fun in the dunes. We ride Glamis & Buttercup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts