Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes I used the 4 (8mm X 1.25 thread roof nuts) The bolts are about 4 inches long and allow for the bolt to go thru the stock nut far enough to add a jam nut. The cross bars are alum rectangle tubing 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 1/8" wall. The rack is just that Harbor Freight rack with the center section not used. You will need 2 short piece of alum rod one 7/8" and one 5/8" dia to take the place of the center section. I bought a foot of each and cut them in half as you need 1 of each size on each side of the rack. I have seen ppl use wooden dowels too. I sanded and painted the rack as the reviews said the paint sucked. The bolts come down thru the alum tubing with 2 nuts between the tubing and the factory nuts. One nut holds the tubing against the bolt head, and the other holds the roof down, and I used the stock grommets. The jam nut really firms everything up and locks the bolt from turning. I used it this Saturday for the first time, and had a dry bag with about 40# in it on the rack and no issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't have a picture right now but I went with the Milwaukee Packout system . baseplate , large toolbox drygood box and cooler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a box from Walmart

This 125 L box may not be a permanent solution but it is working well until a better yet affordable solution arises in the aftermarket since Honda is so proud of their 90 L cargo box.
Are you still liking the Sterilite box? Does it keep dust out?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is the Pic of the packout system all stacked and interlocked. I don't think it would handle 20 ft jumps but it sure works for my for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed it with Clevis pins, fender washers and hairpin cotters from Tractor Supply to mount it without straps yet can easily be removed. Here is the inside of the box.

View attachment 96
By any chance do you remember the size/length of clevis pin you used? Any info is much appreciated, maybe save me some extra trips to the hardware store. Kris

·
Registered
32 Posts
By any chance do you remember the size/length of clevis pin you used? Any info is much appreciated, maybe save me some extra trips to the hardware store. Kris
I used 3/8" x 2" and 3/16" x 2", each with several holes but quite honestly it worked but was a pita at times to get the hairpin cotters in. I changed my box mounting to a couple plates and machine screws.

This worked really well. It was easy to put the box in/out without having to reach under the bed.

I have since found a box that I like better...

Moose Utility p/n 3505-0210

I made a mounting plate for it.

I refined the mounting to use four 1/4-20 knobs for super easy in/out.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts