Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hung up on my decision to get either a left over Talon X or a new one with Live Valve. Trying to figure out if live valve is worth the difference between a 16.5k leftover or a 21k new machine. Plan on a lot of trail riding with sustained speeds of 40+, some mud here and there as well as some technical stuff. Want to be able to race all out against my buddies Rzr1000 and not get thrown all over the place in the cab.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
93 Posts
Hung up on my decision to get either a left over Talon X or a new one with Live Valve. Trying to figure out if live valve is worth the difference between a 16.5k leftover or a 21k new machine. Plan on a lot of trail riding with sustained speeds of 40+, some mud here and there as well as some technical stuff. Want to be able to race all out against my buddies Rzr1000 and not get thrown all over the place in the cab.
I hate to say it, but either way, you're going to have to rework the shocks and springs to make it do what you expect from it. Shock Therapy has said that they can get better results with the Live Valve suspension than they can with the Standard X shocks. I have a Live Valve 4 and their shock work on mine did wonders.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No right answer - lol.

I have an X - non live valve - if I had the cash - I’d get live valve and upgrade the shocks. $5k is a lot of juice!!! Since I don’t have the juice, I swapped tender springs To make it slightly better and will do the $1300 or so to make it plush over the winter. No different than my dirt bikes - plan on $300 for each end to get forks working right, shock working right — for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the four-seat live valve and it is a night and day difference over the four-seat X. I have not had anybody drive or ride in my 4 seat live valve and say that the suspension was brutal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man I was just going to pull the trigger on the base model 1000 -4 they just got two in .. Coming for many many re valves on mx bikes I was planning on having the suspension set up from a reputable shop. When you say "tender springs" are they like a super progressive spring? With suspension work done it still does not comparable to the live valve?
Went and sat in one and they are nice was looking at a wolverine 4 or teryx4 but the talon was more comfortable for my family. Most of the riding will be in the plumas and tahoe mountains pretty tight and rocky I dont see getting over 25-35 mph for the type of riding I like , will the live valve make a solid difference in trail riding or is the LV better for high speed desert type of riding?
Happy 4th
Hoss

1 - 7 of 7 Posts