Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 2021 1000X live valve.Previously I had 2018 Polaris General Deluxe.I sold the General and bought this because I thought I wanted to experience the Honda six speed transmission..I Really enjoyed that but after having a General I h and be discovered several flaws in the Talon #1 suicide doors hard to get in and out of..#2 there are numerous holes in the under carriage the gear selector you can look through see the ground .Big gaps behind the seats all along backs of doors holes all over the place.Where do they think people are going to ride strictly on pavement..bottom line it’s dust magnet.. The general is much better sealed up..#3 seats suck only the bottom seat is removable. seems like they are smaller seat than the R there is a large gap between the bottom seat and seat back your Ass seems to fall in that gap..The General is a one piece seat comes completely out even take it and lean against a pine tree..#4 No where to put your Right arm General has center console and there is place on left side for Left arm ..Honda has drink cup holder that boils your can of pop from engine heat just Awful.. #5 MTX sound bar above your head can’t see the controls not convenient spot..#6 Air intake complete disaster they have the air intake above right rear wheel it’s a flat air filter 295 miles toast 54.00 for air filter… General is a cyndrical air filter and aqauires the air from under the front hood serves as a pre filter..I went 2400 miles and inspected blew our with compressed air .Honda air filters are oiled why I don’t know want you buy filter after every ride Ridiculous..#7 Front end is Squirrelly at high speeds on improved dirt roads it floats..#8 Launch system is sales Gimmick.. Buddy mine Has 2018 General and he beat me hands down in both launch and just regular Automatic.. disappointed..295 miles on machine dow road goes 2022 General on order..

· Registered
368 Posts
don't discount the kubota utv's, they seal the cabs up really really well, offer a diesel version, offer a hydro version in lieu of golf cart rubber band drive system, etc....

I am not sure if the full seat is removable though.

· Registered
41 Posts
I have to agree with you Callkey on every issue.... and several more..
I bought the Talon X for the automatic trans and I have had a liking for past Honda products that I have owned.
I have a sh!t load of money and time in my Talon to try and correct all it's short comings.
And Honda doesn't seem in to much of a hurry to upgrade and catch up with the rest of the industry.
I will keep the Talon for now and have enjoyed it now that I have made the improvements.
But I will not buy another one until Honda catches up.
I will go back to the Polaris or a Can AM, In all my years and miles on a belt machine I never lost a belt, I did have to replace clutches about every 10K miles which was not hard but a little expensive.
But I can except that versus where the Talon is now.
Should Polaris or Can Am come out with a transmission like the Talon, Honda will go by the side lines...DRK

· Registered
183 Posts
We almost bought a '21 Yamaha RMax 1000-2 XTR last fall but went with a '21 Talon X-4 standard. We liked the 10,000 mile belt warranty on the Yamaha, and several other features but like the transmission on the Honda. I drive it mostly in auto mode, but do shift it up manually 50% of the time. The seats seem a little more comfortable on the Honda. I do wish Honda put a complete door on the machine, it think it would help keep the dust down. Our local dealer is a Honda and Yamaha dealer so it is easy to compare units side by side when they are in stock. My brother is about to pull the trigger on a new Yamaha Rmax 1000-2 XTR so it will be interesting to compare the two units. We have a good friend who just bought a new '21 Polaris General XP 1000 4 seater and he loves it so far. The Polaris dealer told him he could have it much quicker then waiting for a Honda or Yamaha, but he waited over 5 months for it to come thru. It pretty much boils down to what yanks your crank when it comes to which machine will work for you!

· Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
184 Posts
I think all the things mentioned above are mostly cosmetic. None of them would be a deal breaker for me.

I live in the southwest, and swear that I have never seen a General either at a dealer or out on the trail. Clearly they are an eastern woods machine that has little appeal out here. I did have a Wolverine 850 previously and loved it (it was a little goat!), but wanted more suspension travel and a more sporty/comfy ride.

The Talon airbox design IS stupid, but I put on the BVC prefilter (K&N with Outerwears). I can easily change the Outerwears after every long ride, and I don't think I will ever have to change the internal factory filter, if I didn't want to.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think all the things mentioned above are mostly cosmetic. None of them would be a deal breaker for me.

I live in the southwest, and swear that I have never seen a General either at a dealer or out on the trail. Clearly they are an eastern woods machine that has little appeal out here. I did have a Wolverine 850 previously and loved it (it was a little goat!), but wanted more suspension travel and a more sporty/comfy ride.

The Talon airbox design IS stupid, but I put on the BVC prefilter (K&N with Outerwears). I can easily change the Outerwears after every long ride, and I don't think I will ever have to change the internal factory filter, if I didn't want to.
Thanks for that information I went to that BVC off-road if I keep this talon since I got so much money invested in it and not interested in a seperator..this would be the ticket...thanks again for that

· Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
184 Posts
I see a separator as being unnecessary overkill. Checked my airbox the other day, and both sides of the stock filter are perfectly clean. I do think the BVC kit is a bit overpriced, but I would gladly pay that much again if I had to do it over.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see a separator as being unnecessary overkill. Checked my airbox the other day, and both sides of the stock filter are perfectly clean. I do think the BVC kit is a bit overpriced, but I would gladly pay that much again if I had to do it over.
Plus aren't the seperator make a noise Talon already noisy without the seperator the one I seen is drawing air out of the cab..

· Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
184 Posts
I see TONS of Generals in AZ.
In So Calif, anything that looks too much like a "farm work tractor" isn't going to be very inspiring for buyers. I only bought the Wolverine because it sat on the dealers floor unsold for 2 years. I pointed that out and made them an offer, and got a smoking deal on it. Rode the tires off of it for a year (mostly eastern Sierra mountain trail riding), then got the Talon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.